BRING IT BACK TO 2012

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

FEAR_THE_ROAR
prospect

So after watching these last 3 games I think it's pretty fair to say we are very lucky to be 2-1. That loss to Tor was just awful, plain and simple

I find that when I'm watching our o it's so predictable on what were going to do, there is no flair, no creativity, just plain vanilla. I mean seriously stop with these stupid 5 yard curls, congratulations on 2nd and 7 you run a 5 yard curl let's do some math here. At no point do you ever see Lulay go outside the pocket to throw by DESIGN, only when he's trying his absolute best to make a play. This allows the D to stay in a stationary position and play into their hand. If we roll out of the pocket more often this opens up holes in the secondary because D's are reacting and flowing to the ball !

We are forcing the ball to Manny and Collie way too much now, it's so predictable. Manny is trying all that he can but there are times where he isn't even targeted for a whole quarter, and what happens when he's having a quite game like last game?? Collie, I thought this was a mistake from the start, a guy who hasn't played in how long?? How many concussions?? not in game shape, and is not the x factor everyone thought he was going to be....

If you look at our stats for the 2012 season ( which we finished first I might add) we spread the ball around! everyone contributed, and did their small part which is why it worked!

Lulay - 27 td (3rd best) and only 10 int (lowest among the starters)
Harris - 1800 total yards/ 4 rec td's
Gore/Bruce/Iannuzzi - 5 td's EACH
Foster/Moore - 3 td's
Simon - only 2 td's but 700 rec yards

We do have talent at wr, we're just not using it right. Let's get gore back to his original spot in the slot and replace burnham, and put iannuzzi back at wr and spread the ball around already!!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I agree that Lulay is at his best, most effective when he rolls out of the pocket.

Just to bring you up to date: Burnham has already been replaced by Taylor in the last game and the Lions are 2-2.
FEAR_THE_ROAR
prospect

my apologies, I didn't mean Burnham***

Manny/Collie/Gore/Taylor and either Iannuzzi or Leonard depending on the formation, but Gore needs to be brought into the slot
Ravi
Legend

Keep in mind though that rolling the QB out also cuts the field in half for defenders. I often hear fans complain about their QB not rolling out of the pocket enough but you can't do that on every play.
Qman
Champion

Only reason we are 2-2 with our crappy defence is we haven't turned the ball over this season. Only 2 INTS and 0 fumbles lost this season.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:Only reason we are 2-2 with our crappy defence is we haven't turned the ball over this season. Only 2 INTS and 0 fumbles lost this season.
With one of those two picks being a nothing play almost right at the end of the half, deep in Toronto's end.

We have had four turnovers on downs, though. One came late in Q4 in Ottawa as we were trailing when Harris got stuffed for a loss on a 3rd & 1. There was another in Ssk on a failed 3rd & short gamble in Q2 where Jennings couldn't convert on a sneak. There were also two against Tor here last week: the 3rd & 4 in Q3 that's been discussed to death, plus another one on our last-gasp final drive. Lulay threw incomplete on both of these.

On the other side of the ledger, our defence has created 7 turnovers: 5 INT, 0 fumble recoveries and 2 TODs, which leaves us +1 on the T/G ratio.

By my count I have Tor, Ham & Mtl leading in a 3-way tie at +4 while surprisingly Cgy is league-worst at -7. I had to double check that but Cgy has 14 turnovers on offence (5 INT, 5 fumbles, 4 TOD) versus only 7 created by its D: 3 INT, 3 fumbles, 1 TOD.

EDIT: Cgy also has a fumble recovery on a punt return by Wpg not included in the above, which puts their T/G ratio at -6, still league-worst but tied with Ssk.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.