Argos vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

The turnover on downs may have caused the momentum to have shifted and a neediness TD to occur, but sloppy tackling, confusion in defensive assignments, and consistent undisciplined play by the Leos defense, were the real reason we were beaten tonight!

Can anyone tell me where Solomon Elimimian was tonight???
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
swervynmerv
Legend

Brutal. That game changed on a stupid gamble by the HC and our defence is awful, AGAIN!

Mark Washington calls a soft game. There is no pressure and is way too easy to make a second and long, and that goes back to last season!

The offence needed to make a couple of first downs at the end of the game or get a TD and we couldn't.

I think our recieving core is average at best. Do we have a game breaker? Where is our SJ Green or Weston Dressler. Arceneaux is overrated. Remove their numbers and Gore, Manny, Taylor all look the same.

Blowing a 21 point lead at home is no way to improve upon a barely over 20000 crowd :bang: :bang:
J5V
Rookie

Credit given where credit is due. The Lions imploded, but the Argos also showed a lot of character tonight.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

J5V wrote:Credit given where credit is due. The Lions imploded, but the Argos also showed a lot of character tonight.
38 yards on OFF post 21 points up.

Embarrassment - words from Tedford's mouth.

Guilio WTF ... man up and call the gamble on 3rd down DUMB.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Washington's soft zone strikes again. But hey we put a big lick on Owens after the 20 yard catch.
Take Tillman off the return game and put him in Phillip's spot....at least he lays a lick on guys. Might be the hardest hitter on the team outside of Solomon and Biggie.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:It Is official just heard on 1040 halftime show 20,084 attendance tonight the last time that happened was 2002 , Moj is talking to the in stadium director for the lions , and he says they have a lot of work to do , he is not happy the way fans have not come out yet , but says it is early he thinks if the lions can win tonight then win in Winnipeg next week the Edmonton game a divisional rival could be over 25,000 once you get a very good crowed like that people will come back

this is going to take all year to get this fixed , the lions have a very good team this year but they priced out the average fan that use to go like my self and my kids , and I believe the event has to be big enough for a huge crowed to go any were
and right know there is still a big Waite and see attitude. be prepared that we might only be getting 20-25 k this year and go from there.
Don't blame the fans. I'd point the finger right at Denis Skulsky. Attendance has been dropping steadily since Bobby Ackles passing.

Between his bone head guarantee against the Riders last year to raising prices this season, it's no wonder crowds are small.

The Lions have struggled the past two years and have been poor offensively with little entertainment value. Instead of raising prices, maybe the way to go was to lower them and re-build the fan base with kids and younger fans. The Lions aren't hot or sexy to the lay person. High prices won't attract new or the casual fan.
There's plenty of blame to go around; as Hambone noted in another thread crowds are down across the board this year, and I would add that that's only part of a continuing leaguewide trend that's been unfolding the last 2-3 years. I said all along from the moment he announced it, no wonder Cohon stepped aside.

Angus Reid on post-game was lamenting after how long the team had worked to build the crowds, how quickly it has evaporated. One caller complaining extensively about belligerent fan behaviour turning her off from going to games the last few years but I think she was off the mark as did Moj and Reid. Another long time STH came on and set things straight for her.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:We can't make a 3rd down gamble with less than a yard, why would we go on 3rd and 4?
I was wondering same thing from my seat at the time. Just made no sense to me at that point of the game with our O having been so flaccid since early Q2.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
swervynmerv wrote:We can't make a 3rd down gamble with less than a yard, why would we go on 3rd and 4?
I was wondering same thing from my seat at the time. Just made no sense to me at that point of the game with our O having been so flaccid since early Q2.
I think the reason by Tedford gambled was to generate some momentum but the decision was still wrong. Toronto took the gift and marched it down the field for a touchdown.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Another brutal penalty for Johnson. Cut him. Parks lit up on this drive.
The defence had the play strung out and there were 3 Lions there to make the play. Absolutely no need for the penalty.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

randymeeks wrote:I know this is the CFL but when was the last time the Lions blew a 21 point lead?
I recall the OT game in Wpg on Thanksgiving Day 2010 when Casey threw the pick, blew up at O'Neill Wilson and got cut. Went into Q4 with Lulay having built up a 32-11 lead but leaving the game at that point (injured IIRC), went home with a 47-35 loss.

Read it and weep: http://liveplay.cflcentral.com/LPFiles/ ... board.html

So the question is which meltdown was worse, the one tonight that happened in slow motion over the final 44 minutes of the game or the Wpg one that was faster and more immediate?

Frankly, they both suck.
dupsdell1
Champion

swervynmerv wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:It Is official just heard on 1040 halftime show 20,084 attendance tonight the last time that happened was 2002 , Moj is talking to the in stadium director for the lions , and he says they have a lot of work to do , he is not happy the way fans have not come out yet , but says it is early he thinks if the lions can win tonight then win in Winnipeg next week the Edmonton game a divisional rival could be over 25,000 once you get a very good crowed like that people will come back

this is going to take all year to get this fixed , the lions have a very good team this year but they priced out the average fan that use to go like my self and my kids , and I believe the event has to be big enough for a huge crowed to go any were
and right know there is still a big Waite and see attitude. be prepared that we might only be getting 20-25 k this year and go from there.
Don't blame the fans. I'd point the finger right at Denis Skulsky. Attendance has been dropping steadily since Bobby Ackles passing.

Between his bone head guarantee against the Riders last year to raising prices this season, it's no wonder crowds are small.

The Lions have struggled the past two years and have been poor offensively with little entertainment value. Instead of raising prices, maybe the way to go was to lower them and re-build the fan base with kids and younger fans. The Lions aren't hot or sexy to the lay person. High prices won't attract new or the casual fan.

I was not blaming the fans I agree with you all the way I saw this coming from the 2009 season and on ( though we might have turned the corner after 2011 ) Skulski is not a business man he is too much of a fan and if he goes in with the rest of the water boys to buy this team one day we can kiss the lions goodbye he himself and Braily have destroyed this team . PATHETIC
David
Team Captain

Of course, things were sailing along until Bad Luck Schleprock Skuksky decides to join the team on the sidelines....then everything went sideways. Of course, he stood in the tunnel in the Sask game and I didn't see him in Regina - two wins. Ottawa? Sidelines. Loss.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Alputt
Champion

Well... I'm disappointed. In both the result and the attendance.

Unfortunately I am part of the reason for the latter, a family obligation prevented me from attending the game or even watching on TV... However early phone checks of the score were promising, it seems the D let us down in stretch as they almost did against Sask last week in the nail biter?

Seemed like a lot of fans around D/T and on skytrain pre-game which I interpreted to be a good attendance figure. 20,000 is a disappointment but it's still July.

Harris and Lulay are back in fine form but can't carry it all on their backs.

I'll be at the next one for sure.

Go Lions!
Alputt
Champion

Agree with above posts, Skulsky is a liability in the office and on the sidelines...