Chapdelaine leaves SFU for SK Head Coaching job?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

peeby
Starter

There was an article this week concerning Jacques leaving SFU after one season when he committed to three. Apparently SFU wasn't impressed. My take on the article was that he was making a few excuses, but the radio guys seemed to think he simply chose to go to a program where there's more money involved. Tonight it dawned on me that Jacques noticed the Riders poor record in the last half of last year, anticipated a poor start this year, and is now licking his chops at the prospect of taking over the reins in Riderville. Any Rider fans with some inside dope?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Alumni at SFU weren't thrilled but his decision to take the Riders OC job would not hinge on Chamblin being fired.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:The Alumni at SFU weren't thrilled but his decision to take the Riders OC job would not hinge on Chamblin being fired.
No, of course not. But if you're thinking practically, if they want to make Chamblin the fall guy for the slow start (which would be a mistake I hope the Riders make), he's the logical interim replacement.

Think about Doug Marrone who left the Bills. He's currently the Assistant Head Coach in Jacksonville. That's a smart move on his part, because the Jags have been so bad, for so long that Gus Bradley is on borrowed time. Who moves up when he gets the axe?
robber
prospect

Actually the inside dope on Chapdelaine and the Roughriders is .... Chapdelaine. Chapdelaine is the Lions' secret weapon - as long as he is running the offence for Saskatchewan the Lions will most likely maintain a purrfect record against the Roughriders. Take a look a the OL man entering the game as an eligible receiver and winding up in the same spot as the receiver- resulting in the riders botching another TD opportunity. Happened all the time when Chapdelaine coached the Lions and he always blamed the players for not being able to execute his hair brained offensive schemes.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Couldn't be happier for Chaps...may he be put to rest in crosser heaven...just never come back to my team ever again!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Grass is not alwaysgreener on the other side.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think they are a better football team than 0 and 4. They sure didn't get breaks from refs but that is always the way it goes with struggling teams. They always get the calls against them (other than Glenn fumble).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:I think they are a better football team than 0 and 4. They sure didn't get breaks from refs but that is always the way it goes with struggling teams. They always get the calls against them (other than Glenn fumble).
That cal upset me but also made me lol when I realized that it wasn't a failure to recover the ball in a timely manner, it was a quick whistle by the refs that stopped the play before anyone had a chance at a recovery. Too bad the ref couldn't admit to an error and had to make up another name for a quick whistle. :hypno:
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

peeby wrote:There was an article this week concerning Jacques leaving SFU after one season when he committed to three. Apparently SFU wasn't impressed. My take on the article was that he was making a few excuses, but the radio guys seemed to think he simply chose to go to a program where there's more money involved. Tonight it dawned on me that Jacques noticed the Riders poor record in the last half of last year, anticipated a poor start this year, and is now licking his chops at the prospect of taking over the reins in Riderville. Any Rider fans with some inside dope?
BINGO! We have a winner!

As soon as the rumours came up over the winter, that was my take. His last, best shot to move into HC position came around and he dumped his alma matter, his commitment to his recruits, and bolted.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:The Alumni at SFU weren't thrilled but his decision to take the Riders OC job would not hinge on Chamblin being fired.
It wouldn't hinge on it... but there is no way it didn't cross his mind in the process.

He had an opportunity to do something special at SFU. So special that in his presser he told the press that this was "...the job that God sent me to do..."

The way he screwed over SFU was inexcusable.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Jim Mullin wrote:
It wouldn't hinge on it... but there is no way it didn't cross his mind in the process.

He had an opportunity to do something special at SFU. So special that in his presser he told the press that this was "...the job that God sent me to do..."

The way he screwed over SFU was inexcusable.
The weird thing is that I thought a better way to a HC job in the CFL for Chaps would have been to spend time as a HC at the university level and then go directly to a CFL HC job.

Lets suppose Riders are looking for a HC at the end of the season. Would Chaps be the first choice, who then needs to hire a OC and DC, or might LaPolice be the first choice (if they can woo him away from TSN), who then keeps Chaps as his OC and then just needs to hire one coordinator?