Lions 27 @ Riders 24 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Big Time
Champion

It's funny because I actually see some parallels with the Riders to the 2011 Lions. From what I recall, the 0-5 start for the Lions included several close losses where the difference was really just a few plays. I remember thinking at the time the Lions were very unlucky to be 0-5 and that if the receivers made one or two more catches, that 0-5 record would have been 2-3 or even 3-2.

The Riders have lost two game in OT and another couple by single digits. They have been in every game. Last night's score is a bit closer than the actual game was, but they still had a chance.'

With that being said, they are playing their backup QB. Kevin Glenn is exactly who we think he is. Capable of the odd big plays but overall he's a very average QB with zero mobility. I felt fairly confident the Lions would win yesterday largely because Glenn has already had three good games to start the season, and you had to figure the real Kevin Glenn would eventually show up. First quarter Glenn was very typical of what we saw last year in that he would go long stretches producing very little. Honestly, if our defensive schemes hadn't been so generous in terms of room out there, this should have been a blow out.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:It's funny because I actually see some parallels with the Riders to the 2011 Lions. From what I recall, the 0-5 start for the Lions included several close losses where the difference was really just a few plays. I remember thinking at the time the Lions were very unlucky to be 0-5 and that if the receivers made one or two more catches, that 0-5 record would have been 2-3 or even 3-2.

The Riders have lost two game in OT and another couple by single digits. They have been in every game. Last night's score is a bit closer than the actual game was, but they still had a chance.'

With that being said, they are playing their backup QB. Kevin Glenn is exactly who we think he is. Capable of the odd big plays but overall he's a very average QB with zero mobility. I felt fairly confident the Lions would win yesterday largely because Glenn has already had three good games to start the season, and you had to figure the real Kevin Glenn would eventually show up. First quarter Glenn was very typical of what we saw last year in that he would go long stretches producing very little. Honestly, if our defensive schemes hadn't been so generous in terms of room out there, this should have been a blow out.
We also picked up Arland Bruce and Tad Kornegay after we got into that funk. So the Riders fanbase would have to be wondering who they can bring in at this point to help arrest their doldrums.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Big Time wrote:It's funny because I actually see some parallels with the Riders to the 2011 Lions. From what I recall, the 0-5 start for the Lions included several close losses where the difference was really just a few plays. I remember thinking at the time the Lions were very unlucky to be 0-5 and that if the receivers made one or two more catches, that 0-5 record would have been 2-3 or even 3-2.
A couple of parallels with the Riders are that 2011 Lions team was characterized an overly soft defence that gave up an average of about 400 yards through the first five games and some questionable coaching decisions by Wally in key situations. A case in point was the second game of the season, in which the Lions tried and failed on two 2-point converts in the fourth quarter, the first coming with over 10 minutes on the clock. The Lions lost 34-32. If they had just kicked the extra points, they could have at least forced overtime.
pennw
Legend

If Glenn had been our QB stil , we would be 0-3 . Lulay was the difference last night even though he missed too many passes . Our Oline needs to be given credit too , they are really starting to look good . If it takes an import Center , then so be it, they are easier to replace should they get hurt . Collie being called a " national" really helps as he offsets Foster and is a very good find .
Nice to see Glenn Suiters homer commentary show through again , on his opinion of that PI call that was correctly called on field as well as by Command Centre . The defender plain as day grabbed the Receivers shoulder FIRST , and the Recever brushed off the hold , it was NOT MUTUAL HANDFIGHTING , as Suiter tried to spin . The new rules are NO contact and plain as day he grabbed, Suiter . Take your own advice from the week before and use a KLEENIX and wipe away your homer tears, YOU should not be allowed to commentate on TV for Rider games as you can not hide you bias .
Last edited by pennw on Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennw
Legend

aklawitter wrote:booming punts from leone, but 3 singles is not good

keep the leg under control
Those 3 singles won us the game at the end.
pennw
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:

You do realize that those 3 points were the difference in the game, right?

I know what you mean by pinning them in the coffin corner, but I'll so take points whenever I can get em.
Okay you beat me to it , didn't,t read this far down yet when Iposted on it .
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:

You do realize that those 3 points were the difference in the game, right?

I know what you mean by pinning them in the coffin corner, but I'll so take points whenever I can get em.
Also in fairness to Leone, one of those punts, scrimmaged from our 42 landed near the Ssk25 and rolled the rest of the way to..... *just inside the goal line*. Two yards less draw weight on that kick and on top of everything else, Rider fan would also be bagging on Dressler for dogging it on the return. Had the ball been caught without bouncing it would have been about a 43yd punt. Not sure if you can fault a guy for not putting less force than that on his kicks from that field position.

One of the other singles came on a kickoff where you can't coffin corner it without risking it going OOB and giving them the gift spot at the 45.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
pennw
Legend

No risk in a single kick off being returned either .
CardiacKid
Legend

An online headline I ran across last night...."Man attacked on SkyTrain after BC Lions game".

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/07/man- ... ions-game/

I used to think RiderNation was genial; the fisticuffs I tend to associate with Eskimo fans.

By October 23rd when the Riders are back in town, I suspect they are going to be extra-pissed so better make sure you also wear a helmet with that Lion's jersey. :rotf:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:An online headline I ran across last night...."Man attacked on SkyTrain after BC Lions game".

I used to think RiderNation was genial; the fisticuffs I tend to associate with Eskimo fans.

By October 23rd when the Riders are back in town, I suspect they are going to be extra-pissed so better make sure you also wear a helmet with that Lion's jersey. :rotf:
Heard about that not long after it happened. Meh, there's good and bad in every crowd. There was a Skytrain assault story a year or two ago, like this above incident it happened right after a Lions game, but in the older story the Rider fan helped subdue the aggressor. There were plenty of news stories on that incident too, but it's hard to google now because most of the prime hitwords (eg skytrain, roughrider, fan, lions) overlap this more recent story and it gets swallowed up.
BC 1988
Legend

Rider D is pretty bad right now, but it was great to see the level of protection Travis continues to receive.
No rushed decisions, he was able to make really smart running plays that weren't of the "run for your life" variety.
He had more of a problem overthrowing receivers (with a wet ball), so arm strength wasn't an issue.

Leonard got the chance to prove himself and made the most of it. (Looks like he's a better choice for the position than Morrah was.)

No word yet on the severity of Jason Foster's leg injury. I hope coaching staff can retool the O line as necessary to continue this high level they are performing at, and be ready when they face more formidable D like EDM in 3 weeks. (Wonder how far off Steward is from returning?)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:An online headline I ran across last night...."Man attacked on SkyTrain after BC Lions game".

Heard about that not long after it happened. Meh, there's good and bad in every crowd. There was a Skytrain assault story a year or two ago, like this above incident it happened right after a Lions game, but in the older story the Rider fan helped subdue the aggressor. There were plenty of news stories on that incident too, but it's hard to google now because most of the prime hitwords (eg skytrain, roughrider, fan, lions) overlap this more recent story and it gets swallowed up.
Ok, I found that older story, from Aug 2012, a little longer ago than I'd thought:

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=c47 ... a4d064fb05

Excerpts:
Scott Watson and his daughter were being playfully ribbed on SkyTrain for wearing Saskatchewan Roughriders shirts following the B.C. Lions' game Sunday. But who knew the 'S' in the logo actually stood for Superman?

Watson is being commended for his role in subduing a disturbed man who head-butted a passenger, spat in a girl's face and screamed death threats on board SkyTrain on Sunday.
Fearing the man might cause more injury to those waiting on the platform, Watson tackled and held him just as the train's doors opened. The pair swung to the right and Watson held the man against the side of the train with his forearm under the man's chin. A second passenger helped to hold him down.
Const. Miles Teitelbaum was one of two transit officers assigned to the Broadway Station platform for crowd control following the Lions' game.

When the train pulled in and the doors opened, about eight or 10 frantic people spilled out. Teitelbaum and his partner, about 30 metres down the platform, rushed over.

The violent man continued to struggle and fight with police as he was being arrested.
While Transit Police were at the ready, Teitelbaum said Watson's quick actions on board helped resolve the incident safely.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:No word yet on the severity of Jason Foster's leg injury.
According to LU, Foster thought at first that he had suffered an MCL sprain but he returned to the game soon afterwards and didn't show any ill effects the rest of the way.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
According to LU, Foster thought at first that he had suffered an MCL sprain but he returned to the game soon afterwards and didn't show any ill effects the rest of the way.
:thup:

He looks like a very skilled, smart centre.

No succession plan for years here, wonders Tedford. OK, we go with an International. Problem solved.

As time goes on, the CFL has more and more ways to deal with the ratio. This can attributed to the rising level of talent and depth of National players, at most positions, if not all. QB is not a ratio issue.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
:thup:

He looks like a very skilled, smart centre.

No succession plan at centre for years here, wonders Tedford. OK, we go with an International. Problem solved.

As time goes on, the CFL has more and more ways to deal with the ratio. This can attributed to the rising level of talent and depth of National players, at most positions, if not all. QB is not a ratio issue.

Re Cam Thorn ... I thought he looked good pre-draft. Big, strong guy. Looks like he is doing well working for Malone too.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.