Comprehensive penalty analysis for 2015

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

Last nights game. Monteal gets an interception. Player keeps ball. No penalty. Past games this year player with a pic tosses ball into stands. Gets a penalty. I know each team brings their own balls. Why wasnt Cox penalized. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Ballistic Bob wrote:Last nights game. Monteal gets an interception. Player keeps ball. No penalty. Past games this year player with a pic tosses ball into stands. Gets a penalty. I know each team brings their own balls. Why wasnt Cox penalized. Thnx BB
Did he just keep it? Or did he throw it in the stands? Maybe that's the difference. Throwing it into the stands can pose an injury risk to a fan not paying attention hence maybe the reason why it now would be a no-no.

Manny tossed the GW TD ball into the stands on Friday. No penalty there. Even though it wouldn't have an impact on the game the penalty should still be recorded I'd think. Apparently Travis has the ball now because it landed right in his wife's lap.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:Last nights game. Monteal gets an interception. Player keeps ball. No penalty. Past games this year player with a pic tosses ball into stands. Gets a penalty. I know each team brings their own balls. Why wasnt Cox penalized. Thnx BB
Not sure about last night but that's exactly what happened just now in the Edm@Ott game. Nichols picked off by Jerrell Gavins in goal, hands the ball to a fan, gets called 10yds for Objectionable Conduct. Ott's drive starts at own 15YL instead of 25 as normally the case.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Did he just keep it? Or did he throw it in the stands? Maybe that's the difference. Throwing it into the stands can pose an injury risk to a fan not paying attention hence maybe the reason why it now would be a no-no.

Manny tossed the GW TD ball into the stands on Friday. No penalty there. Even though it wouldn't have an impact on the game the penalty should still be recorded I'd think. Apparently Travis has the ball now because it landed right in his wife's lap.
I don't think throwing makes a difference as I just saw (see my prev post) where a defender merely handed over a picked off ball to a fan right at the bottom of the stands, not throwing it ~20 rows up. No risk of fan injury in that. Still got the OC flag. Keeping for oneself/divesting to a fan (whether thrown or not) could be a factor.

EDIT: also, an offensive player throwing a ball into the stands doesn't get a flag (offense supplies it own balls as of 2014) so it seems they don't consider the fan risk factor at all. Manny threw the GWTD ball into the crowd last week, where Lulay's wife apparently caught it, oddly enough. No flag, although I'm not sure how it would work in that case anyway since the game ended on the catch. Makes me wonder how it would have gone if the Ssk defender picked it off (which also would have ended the game once the ball was dead) and threw it into the crowd. Prob still wouldn't matter as far as having to extend the game by an extra play; I don't think that would happen. Player would have to pay for the ball + possible fine is prob all they can do.
Last edited by sj-roc on Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The penalties are on the players. It's up to them to clean it up. Players can't be jumping offside. Officials have to call those penalties. My only criticism of the officials would be to keep their flags in their pockets on kick returns unless a holding penalty is serious enough to affect the play. Too many big returns have been wiped out by questionable calls away from the play.
Problem on kick returns is there is no way for the official to predict if a hold will or won't have an impact. The player being held may not be in a position to make an immediate tackle but it can prevent him from getting back into the play to make a tackle. Lots of times the way returners cut back and forth a coverage guy who doesn't give up on the play gets a second chance to make a tackle.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Not any more dangerous than that stupid beach ball in the crowd. I've seen people getting hit in the face, beer spilled etc.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

One more thing on the ball toss topic. Throwing a ball into the stands brings a penalty if its not yours.i.e. A pick. So Im still at a loss as why Cox wasnt penalizd. Thnx BB
pennw
Legend

Defenders get a penalty for throwing balls they picked off into the stands because that ball belongs to the other team . They each bring their own balls now for their own offences so they can prep them the way they want . They each have 7 balls , so a defender is throwing their opponents property away , so they rightly get penalty.
Offences don't get penalized because it is their own ball they throw away .
Ballistic Bob
Legend

pennw wrote:Defenders get a penalty for throwing balls they picked off into the stands because that ball belongs to the other team . They each bring their own balls now for their own offences so they can prep them the way they want . They each have 7 balls , so a defender is throwing their opponents property away , so they rightly get penalty.
Offences don't get penalized because it is their own ball they throw away .
Cox wasnt penalized the night before after a pick. He kept it as a souvenir. BB
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm guessing that a defender that keeps a ball as a souvenir after a interception or fumble recovery does not get a penalty, but has to buy the ball from the opponent. Also the ball would still be available for use if the opponent runs out of footballs later in the game.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:EDIT: also, an offensive player throwing a ball into the stands doesn't get a flag (offense supplies it own balls as of 2014) so it seems they don't consider the fan risk factor at all. Manny threw the GWTD ball into the crowd last week, where Lulay's wife apparently caught it, oddly enough. No flag, although I'm not sure how it would work in that case anyway since the game ended on the catch. Makes me wonder how it would have gone if the Ssk defender picked it off (which also would have ended the game once the ball was dead) and threw it into the crowd. Prob still wouldn't matter as far as having to extend the game by an extra play; I don't think that would happen. Player would have to pay for the ball + possible fine is prob all they can do.
A penalty in that situation would have no effect as it would be deemed a dead ball foul. Under normal circumstances it would be applied on the ensuing KO but since the game is over there's no KO to follow. It could still be recorded though not unlike penalties that get assessed at the end of a hockey game.
pennw
Legend

Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:EDIT: also, an offensive player throwing a ball into the stands doesn't get a flag (offense supplies it own balls as of 2014) so it seems they don't consider the fan risk factor at all. Manny threw the GWTD ball into the crowd last week, where Lulay's wife apparently caught it, oddly enough. No flag, although I'm not sure how it would work in that case anyway since the game ended on the catch. Makes me wonder how it would have gone if the Ssk defender picked it off (which also would have ended the game once the ball was dead) and threw it into the crowd. Prob still wouldn't matter as far as having to extend the game by an extra play; I don't think that would happen. Player would have to pay for the ball + possible fine is prob all they can do.
A penalty in that situation would have no effect as it would be deemed a dead ball foul. Under normal circumstances it would be applied on the ensuing KO but since the game is over there's no KO to follow. It could still be recorded though not unlike penalties that get assessed at the end of a hockey game.
I don't think it is a penalty for receivers to throw balls into the stands as it is their own teams ball . I heard it explained , but trying to recall where , but I believe it was by TSN game commentators during a game . This is to stop one Team from throwing away the other Teams balls , nothing to do with safety or other factors . Each Team brings their own ball so they can control the condition of the ball they use . The rule makes sense from that standpoint . So picked off balls do not belong to Team of the defender .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While this is right.... it's a rubbish position. Eliminate all balls into the stands - fine - but to penalize a defender for the same thing is ridiculous and adds to discredit the CFL refs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
We saw an example of that at the end of today's Wpg @ Cgy game although the nature of the penalty wasn't completely specified. From the play-by-play report at http://liveplay.cflcentral.com/LPFiles/ ... yplay.html:
CALGARY at 00:23
play #141: 1st & 10 @ Wpg46 (00:23) B. MITCHELL Team Loss (5 yds)
play #142: 2nd & 15 @ Wpg51 (00:18) B. MITCHELL Team Loss (5 yds)
play #143: 3rd & 15 @ Cgy54 (00:01) B. MITCHELL Team Loss (0 yds)
Post-game penalty on Winnipeg (report only).