Leos/Riders Rematch - Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Judging from the locker room scene the Lions players might not be as aware of the need to fix issues as they looked like they want the Div. title and were off to the GC game.
Right, I think a lot of the exuberance was they wanted to show Travis how much they appreciated all the work he put in to get himself back there.

The important thing is Tedford is under no illusions about what issues need fixing, and will be working to do something about them. (I'm a lot more confident of this than with the last coach).
I think you're right. Lulay, Bighill and Eliminian weren't over the top and Tedford isn't stupid.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

No question that stopping the Riders running attack is the key to this contest. Messam and Allan have been incredible so far for the Riders.
Making this early season run for glory all the more remarkable is the fact he shares carries with Anthony Allen, the other half of the Roughriders’ two-headed monster at running back, who is 6-1, 220. Messam is averaging 7.9 yards per attempt on 31 carries; Allen 7.4 on 25 attempts.

“The offensive line, they’re really the ones who deserve all the praise,” Messam explains. “They’ve just been opening holes for us, moving guys. And Jacques’ (Chapdelaine, the offensive coordinator) schemes have been tremendous for us. It’s been night and day for us compared to last year, as far as being unpredictable. There are a lot of moving parts. We keep defences on their heels
Vancovuer Sun
Those are impressive stats so far. Messam attributes the success of the Riders rushing attack to the offensive scheme they are running and the difference in Chap's scheme from the one that Cortez ran in Riderville last season. Interesting.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

No question that Chaps and Dorazio deserve credit for the gaudy rushing numbers, but Saskatchewan does have a stout and talented Oline.

In 2014 for example, Cory Sheets was 2nd in rushing (behind Cornish) with 1,600 yards. Anthony Allen was 2nd in rushing last year (although rushing numbers were down). It's important to keep in mind that 2 of the Riders' 3 games this year have been against Winnipeg and BC - not exactly formidable D lines. Yes, they're missing Picard and Heenan this year, but still have a lot of talent.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:No question that Chaps and Dorazio deserve credit for the gaudy rushing numbers, but Saskatchewan does have a stout and talented Oline.

In 2014 for example, Cory Sheets was 2nd in rushing (behind Cornish) with 1,600 yards. Anthony Allen was 2nd in rushing last year (although rushing numbers were down). It's important to keep in mind that 2 of the Riders' 3 games this year have been against Winnipeg and BC - not exactly formidable D lines. Yes, they're missing Picard and Heenan this year, but still have a lot of talent.

DH :cool:
Picard and Heenan were two significant losses. Picard was the Riders most outstanding lineman in 2014. The center position is the most difficult offensive line position to replace. Heenan was good enough to be signed by the Indianapolis Colts (he had 5 offers from NFL teams) and the Riders loved to run behind him. Heenan was the first pick in the 2012 CFL draft and he was a Canadian born player to boot, which wass a huge bonus for the Riders ratio at the tackle position, which is usually occupied by an import. Heenan is no easy player to replace in Sasskatchewan.

I'm surprised that the Riders running attack so far has been so good so far, with those two players gone.

The recent comments by Geroy and now Messam, who has played with CFL four teams and won the rushing title in Edmonton a few seasons back now are interesting. I'm always fascinated and interested in schemes. Football is chess at full speed with live, talented bodies performing at their peak in a highly skilled and violent environment..... but the sport is also very cerebral. Those elements combined - strategy, skill, speed, talent, and incredible physical contact make football such a dynamic sport. In no other professional sport is strategy as significant. The game stops after each and every play and a new strategy (play) is designed and implemented. The types of plays that can be used run into the thousands. Its the most complex pro sport of them all and a huge reason why I love the game so much.

The Riders had wanted Picard back but wanted him to sign a restructured contract to avoid a huge bonus which would impact their cap. Instead Picard was picked up immediately by Winnipeg. He would have been a good signing for B.C. (but good free agents with choices tend to avoid us) and instead we needed to go with an import.

We're also playing an imports at the tackle positions. Initially we had pencilled in Steward as a backup guard (huh) but thankfully wisdom prevailed and Steward won the left tackle position at training camp. Unfortunatly he was injured.

I thought Draheim had a good second game at left tackle last week. But Steward is a physical specimen. I sure hope that he can heal up and return to our lineup as a starting left tackle. He not only impacts the ratio in a positive way..... he is major talented.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)