About our defence - Wally is sounding like the Lions DC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Seems to me that if the opposition have 5 receivers on the line, you have to cover them first.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Every receiver has to be covered. Job 1.

Bighill and Chris R are covering no one. They are in a zone, and they are nowhere near the LOS. Not even faking pressure on the LOS. Sollie is not near the LOS. The Esks spread the field against the zone, and they find soft spots. No pressure up front.

At times, the best hope for those deep Safeties is that they can tackle a receiver after a big gain before he scores a TD. We have not seen Chris R make many plays. Better IMO to attack the LOS with more of a pressure defence.

Sollie is spying. This is a cover package, light years from a pressure package.

Vulnerable to a running attack? Yes. Screens? Yes. Draws? Yes. Patient passing attack? Yes. Vertical passing attack? Yes. Supposedly good against a vertical passing attack? Supposedly, but not if the QB gets time.

Just IMO ... People will have their preferences.

Might show some Esk defence pictures, if I have the interest. How can the Esks get nine men in the box? Different attitude. Different approach. And it needs cooperation from the O. Bring in more blockers. Tighten those splits, O Line. Shorter routes. Possession receivers. Don't spread the field. Don't go deep. Of course, our offence tries to attack the pressure defence, with some success. It certainly helps to have a vigorous running game. :thup: Strong blocking. Strong running. And of course it helps to have solid pass protection. :thup:

Dunigan or Cuthbert said the Esks looked gassed near the end. Strong blocking does that. Having to cover deep does that.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I noticed the Lions also used Bazzie and Menard to cover backs out of the backfield last night, and they both made tackles after short gains. On one play in the first half, Menard covered for Elimimian in a zone blitz. In the fourth quarter, Bazzie chased down Simpson on a crossing route as the Lions rushed three, forcing the Esks to punt. A number of teams use defensive ends in coverage. It's a testament to their athleticism.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I noticed the Lions also used Bazzie and Menard to cover backs out of the backfield last night, and they both made tackles after short gains. On one play in the first half, Menard covered for Elimimian in a zone blitz. In the fourth quarter, Bazzie chased down Simpson on a crossing route as the Lions rushed three, forcing the Esks to punt. A number of teams use defensive ends in coverage. It's a testament to their athleticism.
Back to the days of Brent Johnson.

Yes. Mixing it up. Mark W seems to be trying to vary things. But to me it is an ultra conservative package. React. Rather than focus on Attack the LOS.

Not the preference of this fan.

Some coaches obviously like it. Some fans might too.

Don Shula liked a conservative defence. Buddy Ryan was at the extreme opposite pole. Attack. Attack. Attack. As was Don Matthews. As is Chris Jones.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Copying this over here ...
B.C.FAN wrote:Mic'heal (as he now likes to be known, pronounced Mik-hail) Brooks has been a pleasant surprise on the DL. His position doesn't get a lot of attention from fans but coaches and GMs notice him. He has even been mentioned as a possible rookie of the year candidate. His 25 defensive tackles lead all defensive linemen in the league and rank him third on the team behind league-leaders Adam Bighill and Solomon Elimimian. Still, the team needs another gap-plugging tackle beside him. The Lions rank last in stopping the run and are giving opposing QBs too much tme to throw.
And Roh seems to be a useful player, especially as a pass rusher, although he seems undersized for defensive tackle.

At some point talk about rookies learning the CFL becomes merely an excuse. Or, is it possible that Mark W's system will prove sturdy? Can't bet on that outcome at this point.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Iain ... story.html
“One of the things most striking about being here — and our kids figure it out really fast — is that this team is so deeply embedded in this community. We’re the second-oldest pro franchise in North America. People here want hard-nosed, aggressive, tough defence. That’s what Hamilton fans expect from their football team.” -- Jeff Reinebold

And that’s what defensive coordinator Orlondo Steinauer is giving them.
The Hamilton fans got what they wanted with Steinauer's defence.
“Defensively, we’re going to play hard and we’re going to play fast and if there’s enough points on the board, we’ll win,” Steinauer said. “That’s the brand of football we take pride in. That blue-collar, Hamilton identity is back. You do feel the buzz around town.”
Blue collar.
“They play downhill,” B.C. quarterback Travis Lulay said before the Lions chartered to Hamilton on Friday.
Downhill.

Reinebold ... Saw him at a football clinic back in the early 1980s. Funny guy. Good for a quote always. Some called him a loose wire. Not much doubt about that.
"I used to come in here when I was coaching with B.C. and I hated this trip,” Tiger-Cats special teams coach Jeff Reinebold said Friday as the rain pelted down outside Hamilton’s locker-room. “It seemed we were always here in July. It was always humid. The city stunk because of the steel mills. The stadium was a dump. The team was bad most of the time and they had poor ownership. I couldn’t wait to get out.”
Ha ha ... What I said about good for a quote.
"What’s really exciting about right now is this city and this football team are changing together,” Reinebold continued. “It’s like the rebirth you saw in Cleveland and Pittsburgh, other steel towns. This stadium is a huge centrepiece." -- Reinebold.

I had heard that about Pittsburgh.
“One of the things most striking about being here — and our kids figure it out really fast — is that this team is so deeply embedded in this community. We’re the second-oldest pro franchise in North America. People here want hard-nosed, aggressive, tough defence. That’s what Hamilton fans expect from their football team.”
Good for the Ti-Cats, and the CFL. We need a strong franchise in Hamilton.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Assuming that the Lions continue as the worst D in the CFL, then I would like to see the Lions hire Reinebold for next season as the new DC.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Stats, yardage given up on defence ...

JohnHenry
Champion

One of the things most striking about being here — and our kids figure it out really fast — is that this team is so deeply embedded in this community. We’re the second-oldest pro franchise in North America.
Just a side-note, but if Hamilton is the 2nd oldest pro franchise in North America, which one was first? The Hamilton Football Club was incorporated in November, 1869. The Toronto Argonauts started in 1873. The Hamilton team, later nicknamed the "Tigers", merged with the Hamilton Flying Wildcats (a RCAF team created during WWII) to become the Tiger-Cats in 1950.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Stats, yardage given up on defence ...
We won't be climbing out of either of those basements anytime soon, methinks.

This is going to be a real fun thread to for the next week.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:
One of the things most striking about being here — and our kids figure it out really fast — is that this team is so deeply embedded in this community. We’re the second-oldest pro franchise in North America.
Just a side-note, but if Hamilton is the 2nd oldest pro franchise in North America, which one was first? The Hamilton Football Club was incorporated in November, 1869. The Toronto Argonauts started in 1873. The Hamilton team, later nicknamed the "Tigers", merged with the Hamilton Flying Wildcats (a RCAF team created during WWII) to become the Tiger-Cats in 1950.
Right now, WE'RE looking like the oldest most tired team on the continent.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rodu
Champion

our offense is trying to out do our D
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Stats, yardage given up on defence ...
We won't be climbing out of either of those basements anytime soon, methinks.

This is going to be a real fun thread to for the next week.
My heart is not really into bashing Mark Washington. And yet, it looks to me like our defensive system is not based on reality. If you don't scheme to get pressure on the QB, you will get stats like ours.

* Put only 4 men on the defensive LOS

* Do not move them around

* Do not stunt

* Do not fake blitzes

* Same rush almost all the time

* 6 men in the box at the max

* Sometimes only 5 men in the box

* Drop Bighill back 25 yards with the Safety

* Loose cover on the receivers, 5 yard gap

* Not enough cover for screen passes or QB draws or QB scrambling

Add it up. You get stats like ours.

So it seems to me.

Broken record? Yeah. Broken defence too.

Reality might be biting some in the organization right on the butt, and that goes well beyond Mark W.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Before the game I was of the opinion that the Lions were a mediocre team. I was wrong. They are less than mediocre.

The No Pressure D needs fixing starting with the DC. Has Mark Washington never heard of stunts, disguising pressure packages, overloading one side of the line, or anything that will take the opposition by surprise? It would be nice.

The D line is horrible and the absence of Eric Taylor, playing Westerman and Loh out of position is now biting the Lions in the ass. Get some DTs, DEs on the team from NFL cuts ASAP.

Bo Lokombo needs to be on the field full time, Rwabukamba needs to be replaced. I know he is not fast enough to do a safety blitz so how about a DB blitz? Something, anything to get the O Line guessing.

When are Tedford/Cortez going to realize that Lulay is a roll out QB, not a pocket passer. When are we going to see the H back offense or something that resembles any kind of innovation or deception? I have never been a big Cortez fan but I thought that teaming up with Tedford would be a difference maker. So far I am wrong.

The Lions were overwhelmed on the LOS, both on D and O. Not going to win games when that happens.

It seems possible that the way the Lions played and the way the Redblacks played in the second game, the Riders could come up out of the basement of the Power Rankings without playing a game this weekend or getting a W this season so far.

To end on a positive note, this is a rebuilding year for players and coaching staff so I have low expectations. I just wish there had been more changes to the coaching staff, but I expect those changes (DC, STC) to happen in the coming off season.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Farhan and the Moj said they received photos of Mike Benevides' lunch from Portugal during the game.

You think that game didn't make him happy!!!!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy