CHAPBALL IS A PRIZE CATCH - SIMON SAYS

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

CHAPBALL IS A PRIZE CATCH -EX LIONS RECEIVER HAD A HAND IN RIDERS HIRING OF 'GENIUS' OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR

The Vancouver SunMIKE BEAMISH

The traits that have made Jacques Chapdelaine a successful offensive co-ordinator with the Lions — Grey Cups in 2006, 2011 — did not make him a beloved figure in B.C.

Jacques Chapdelaine’s style of offensive playcalling should fit in well with Saskatchewan’s older receivers.

His detractors believed he benefited from the recruiting and development of star quarterbacks such as Dave Dickenson, Buck Pierce and Travis Lulay, and his schemes were called predictable and conservative. Because of his Canadian roots, perhaps, Chapdelaine felt he was more circumspect than his American counterparts, and his sensitive antennae seemed attuned to the criticism that came at him in print, through the airwaves and on Internet fan forums.

But his supporters, among them Geroy Simon, always believed Chapdelaine got the most out of his players and put them in position to succeed.

The Canadian Football League’s all-time pass reception yards leader, Simon says he would have had success in his 12 starry seasons as a Lion, but not as much, had it not been for Chapball.

His faith and loyalty to Chapdelaine was demonstrated when, after a single season as OC and assistant head coach of the Edmonton Eskimos, Chapdelaine was fired in 2007.

Simon immediately went to Lions head coach and GM Wally Buono and urged his re-hire. (Chapdelaine returned to B.C. in 2008 as receivers coach).

“I believe in what he does,” says Simon, who has segued, following his retirement as player, into the Lions’ player/ business development adviser. “I think Jacques got a bad rap here (B.C.). Sometimes, the offence didn’t have success. But, I think, without him for the past couple of years, you see his genius. This offence isn’t as good. Players don’t have as much success as when he was around. At times, the fans took him for granted. I never understood why there was a hate on him, at times. A lot of guys had their best years under his system.”

When the Lions met the Saskatchewan Roughriders Friday night at BC Place Stadium, Chapdelaine was the wizard coaching on the other side, calling the shots for the Prairie invaders.

The fact he now hangs his coaching whistle in Regina is partly Simon’s doing.

After head coach Corey Chamblin fired his OC, George Cortez, now with the Lions, he contacted Simon to put the final stamp on the hire of Chapdelaine, who was serving as the head coach at Simon Fraser University.

Chamblin, general manager Brendan Taman, quarterback Darian Durant and receiver Weston Dressler all were involved in the interview process. But none of them knew Chapdelaine as intimately as Simon did.

“The best thing was to talk to Geroy, because he had spent so many years with him,” Chamblin says. “He would give me an honest assessment. More than that, he would give me an honest assessment between both of the offensive co-ordinators (Chapdelaine and Cortez). I knew of Jacques’ work, but I really didn’t know him. What’s his demeanour? What’s he like as a person? How does he think? The more I talked with Geroy, the more I thought he was the right hire. He (Simon) put it over the edge.”
When Chamblin surveyed the work of his offence last season, he knew he had to turn it over to another mind. It was in need of a revamp, and he thought Chapdelaine might be the man to do it.

The decision to jettison Cortez was not a condemnation of his coaching tactics or philosophy, Chamblin says. Indeed, the head coach continually references the fact that he has a Grey Cup ring because of Cortez, his offensive co-ordinator in 2013 when Durant, now injured, had a career year.

“There was a shift, in terms of what we were doing, with our older receivers,” Chamblin explains.

“Sometimes, they couldn’t beat coverage, going man-to-man, straight up. George’s offence offers more of a vertical (deep passing) threat. Some of our guys couldn’t get to where they needed to be. Jacques’ offence has a horizontal (shorter, crossing routes) component as well as a vertical approach. It caters to our older receivers. It’s a better fit. There’s more motion, to free guys up.”

In simple terms, it’s the difference between the Bombs Away! approach (Cortez) and a mix of long and shorter range strikes ( Chapdelaine). Both can be effective as end-zone storming tactics.

Chamblin says Simon remained a dangerous pass receiving threat well into his 30s, even though he had lost half a step, since Chapdelaine’s offence played off his other top-flight skills. Simon had 84 catches, 1,350 yards and eight touchdowns in 2011 — at age 36.

“You never knew how he (Simon) would release,” Chamblin says. “The things they’re (Lions) doing now with (Austin) Collie, (Manny) Arceneaux and (Bryan) Burnham, it’s straightup speed. They fit their offence because those are the players George wants in his offence. We needed our team to go more lateral.” (Dressler, Rob Bagg, Jamel Richardson, Taj Smith and Ryan Getzlaf, every member of the Roughriders’ five-receiver set who started Friday’s game is between 30 and 33).

At 37, Simon’s trade to the Roughriders in 2013 was supposed to revitalize his fading career. Yet his final playing season, with Cortez calling the shots, was personally unfulfilling, statistically, even though Simon finished with a flourish, scoring a pair of touchdowns in the 101st Grey Cup game, a convincing Saskatchewan victory.

From his perspective, however, Cortez had a closed mind about how best to use a crafty, veteran receiver no longer equipped with an afterburner.

“The thing I like about Jacques is that he tailors his offence to the players he has,” Simon says. “He’s not going to try to put a square peg into a round hole. It takes a guy who believes in your ability to create something and use your skills to have success. When I left B.C., I didn’t have success because I didn’t have a co-ordinator who believed in me. It’s not a shot at George. It’s just that he didn’t believe in me.”

Horses for courses. When the story of the 2015 season is told for the Lions and Roughriders, it perhaps will be recalled that a turnaround began with the hiring of an offensive guru from the other’s backyard.

Answers to about a thousand more questions remain to decide which is the better fit. Maybe both.

I found this article by Mike Beamish very interesting. I also found the article quite surprising, with Simon and Cortez now both on the Lions staff. Simon doesn't hold anything back regarding his thoughts.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

But his supporters, among them Geroy Simon, always believed Chapdelaine got the most out of his players and put them in position to succeed.

The Canadian Football League’s all-time pass reception yards leader, Simon says he would have had success in his 12 starry seasons as a Lion, but not as much, had it not been for Chapball.

His faith and loyalty to Chapdelaine was demonstrated when, after a single season as OC and assistant head coach of the Edmonton Eskimos, Chapdelaine was fired in 2007.

Simon immediately went to Lions head coach and GM Wally Buono and urged his re-hire. (Chapdelaine returned to B.C. in 2008 as receivers coach).

“I believe in what he does,” says Simon, who has segued, following his retirement as player, into the Lions’ player/ business development adviser. “I think Jacques got a bad rap here (B.C.). Sometimes, the offence didn’t have success. But, I think, without him for the past couple of years, you see his genius. This offence isn’t as good. Players don’t have as much success as when he was around. At times, the fans took him for granted. I never understood why there was a hate on him, at times. A lot of guys had their best years under his system.”
The operative words from Geroy in all of this is what benefited receivers - not what benefited his team.

I find it hard to see how Simon could put Cortez under the microscope like this now that he is hired in BC.
Geroy hasn't shown here he understands the role when you join a management team when he makes these comments - even if they are true about GC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I think we knew Geroy was loyal to Jacques. So no surprise that Geroy sings his praises. And Jacques has dialed up a number of outstanding offences in his career as an OC.
When I left B.C., I didn’t have success because I didn’t have a co-ordinator who believed in me. It’s not a shot at George. It’s just that he didn’t believe in me.” -- Geroy Simon
Kind of awkward, though, when Geroy says George did not believe in him, and that this prevented Geroy from having success in Regina. And now they work in the same building for the same organization. It does seem like a shot at George, along the lines of, "George didn't believe in me. George prevented me from having success in Regina."

Not that big a deal in the big scheme of things. But it is nice to see the recognition for Jacques Chapdelaine.

Hopefully George Cortez can have much success in B.C. also.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Ain't revisionist history grand?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Chamblin nicely sums up the difference between Chapdelaine's offence and Cortez's.
“There was a shift, in terms of what we were doing, with our older receivers,” Chamblin explains.

“Sometimes, they couldn’t beat coverage, going man-to-man, straight up. George’s offence offers more of a vertical (deep passing) threat. Some of our guys couldn’t get to where they needed to be. Jacques’ offence has a horizontal (shorter, crossing routes) component as well as a vertical approach. It caters to our older receivers. It’s a better fit. There’s more motion, to free guys up.”

In simple terms, it’s the difference between the Bombs Away! approach (Cortez) and a mix of long and shorter range strikes ( Chapdelaine). Both can be effective as end-zone storming tactics.

Chamblin says Simon remained a dangerous pass receiving threat well into his 30s, even though he had lost half a step, since Chapdelaine’s offence played off his other top-flight skills. Simon had 84 catches, 1,350 yards and eight touchdowns in 2011 — at age 36.

“You never knew how he (Simon) would release,” Chamblin says. “The things they’re (Lions) doing now with (Austin) Collie, (Manny) Arceneaux and (Bryan) Burnham, it’s straightup speed. They fit their offence because those are the players George wants in his offence. We needed our team to go more lateral.” (Dressler, Rob Bagg, Jamel Richardson, Taj Smith and Ryan Getzlaf, every member of the Roughriders’ five-receiver set who started Friday’s game is between 30 and 33).

Chapdelaine is best at stretching the field horizontally to create space. Cortez is best at stretching the field vertically to create space. I think change can be good for both teams, and for fans. I particularly like that Cortez is not left alone to run the B.C.. offence. Tedford helps with the design. Cortez calls it.

I'm not sure Chamblin is right in saying that B.C. has more speed at receiver than the Riders. The Lions don't have any receivers who run a sub-4.5 40 but we've already seen Arceneaux, Collie and Morrah catch deep passes. I've always respected Chapdelaine but I like the improved vertical passing game that this year's Lions team has shown under Tedford and Cortez. I think it will help bring back fans.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:I think we knew Geroy was loyal to Jacques. So no surprise that Geroy sings his praises. And Jacques has dialed up a number of outstanding offences in his career as an OC.
When I left B.C., I didn’t have success because I didn’t have a co-ordinator who believed in me. It’s not a shot at George. It’s just that he didn’t believe in me.” -- Geroy Simon
Kind of awkward, though, when Geroy says George did not believe in him, and that this prevented Geroy from having success in Regina. And now they work in the same building for the same organization. It does seem like a shot at George, along the lines of, "George didn't believe in me. George prevented me from having success in Regina."

Not that big a deal in the big scheme of things. But it is nice to see the recognition for Jacques Chapdelaine.

Hopefully George Cortez can have much success in B.C. also.

I think George Cortez is ALREADY having success in BC...consider the SSK game, if we had converted more red zone opportunities, we would have put up 50 points, and Lulay hasn't ever looked better with a less than purrfect shoulder. Nice to see JC having success in Regina, but I like what we have here! End of story really...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:Ain't revisionist history grand?
Ohhow they're letting Chapdelaine off the hook on his tenure here. Shame on Beamish for allowing Cortez to look like the inferior OC between the two. Chapdelaine had the desire to run the O his way, it was never until his job was threatened that he adopted the O that this board was wanting to see. Emphasize on the receivers game was never the problem, well other than when teams DB's sat on the predictable routes, calling out the plays to the Lions as they came up to the LoS. Top that off with the vanilla run game that was only successful when Logan or Harris would break off from the designed play and create yardage on their own. It really all came down to the fans being told that it was the execution that wasn't being followed...oh I will not miss those days anytime soon.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Ohhow they're letting Chapdelaine off the hook on his tenure here. Shame on Beamish for allowing Cortez to look like the inferior OC between the two. Chapdelaine had the desire to run the O his way, it was never until his job was threatened that he adopted the O that this board was wanting to see. Emphasize on the receivers game was never the problem, well other than when teams DB's sat on the predictable routes, calling out the plays to the Lions as they came up to the LoS. Top that off with the vanilla run game that was only successful when Logan or Harris would break off from the designed play and create yardage on their own. It really all came down to the fans being told that it was the execution that wasn't being followed...oh I will not miss those days anytime soon.
Revisionist? Are we back on that topic?

Blitz will probably have a handle on the statistics, etc. But did JC not dial up some outstanding offences? Dickenson. Printers. Pierce. Lulay. Simon. Joe Smith. Andrew Harris. Or maybe those were just fond memories conjured up from nothing. Beyond criticism from the fans? No, of course not. Well noted on this site.

I am more than happy to have George Cortez here, to work with Jeff Tedford. But I also recall some outstanding offences run by Jacques Chapdelaine.

Just in the opinion of this fan of the CFL ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

When Geroy says that Cortez didn't believe in him, what he really means that with Geroy as a Rider in his late 30s, Cortez believed he was no longer an elite receiver (and not worth the $ he was being paid). Wally felt the same way.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Chamblin nicely sums up the difference between Chapdelaine's offence and Cortez's.

Chapdelaine is best at stretching the field horizontally to create space. Cortez is best at stretching the field vertically to create space. I think change can be good for both teams, and for fans. I particularly like that Cortez is not left alone to run the B.C.. offence. Tedford helps with the design. Cortez calls it.

I'm not sure Chamblin is right in saying that B.C. has more speed at receiver than the Riders. The Lions don't have any receivers who run a sub-4.5 40 but we've already seen Arceneaux, Collie and Morrah catch deep passes. I've always respected Chapdelaine but I like the improved vertical passing game that this year's Lions team has shown under Tedford and Cortez. I think it will help bring back fans.
When I first read the article in a hard copy of the Vancouver Sun last week I was very surprised with Simon's comments, with both being employed here in B.C. I only skimmed the article quickly and was also surprised that the article was not on line at the Vancouver Sun . I found it on another web address. I wonder if the article was removed at the Lions request.

I thought the article did a good job of identifying the passing trend of both coordinators. Cortez, in the past was more of a vertical offensive passing coordinator. Chapdelaine was very much a horizontal possession type passing game coordinator from 2005-2010 and loved to run a lot of layered crossing routes. Both were spread offensive coordinators, coming out of the Calgary system innovated at the time by Hufnagel and Tedford. ChapBall became JaquesBall part way through 2011, as Chapdelaine went to multiple-formations, more power sets, and used a lot more motion and misdirection. Cortez mainly stayed with the spread offence in Riderville, (as he did with Hamilton) until he came to B.C. in the off-season.

Chap seems to be using a lot of JaquesBall in Saskatchewan, still using a lof of motion and multiple sets. He is no longer a spread devotee and hasn't been since 2011. Cortez is no longer a spread offensive coordinator either. Tedford has him running an offence that uses an H Back or what is sometmes referred to as a hydrid tight end style of offence.

If it was a blank slate I prefer Chap's motion/misdirection offence from 2011-2013 over Cortez's spread offence that he ran in Riderville. (I was not a fan of ChapBall from 2005-2010). I don't think we will ever know for sure whether Chap ran the old Calgary spread because that was all he knew or was trained in or whether Wally insisted he use that old playbook. All may have been factors but Wally's influence, I believe was the biggest factor. You only have to look at how much spread we were in last season under Khari Jones, who ran a lot of six receiver, empty backfield sets for the first part of last season (and we sure would have been better off with Chap at the controls than Jones last season)

But I prefer Tedford's offensive philosophy and structure best -a nd that philosophy and structure is what Cortez is using now in B.C. . He isn't running the offence he ran in Saskatchewan. I think our 2015 style of offence is timely, based upon where defenses are at in today's CFL.

I believe, over time, this season, our offence will be more dangerous. Key factors for that belief is that Chap has Dorazio in Riderville and we have Malone - advantage to our Leos. We also have Tedford, whose offensive mind will also be an advantage over the defensive orienation of Chamblin. Tedford's talent in working with quarterbacks will also be a real plus for our offence as the season progresses.

As for Simon's remarks....they are no doubt what he believes to be true and certainly his views have had influence - he has played a role in the rehiring of Chap in B.C. in 2008 and the hiring of Chap in Saskatchewan. Simon also played a role in the demotion of Steve Kruck from the co-offensive coordinator position in 2007, as we went to a more run oriented attack.

But Simon also needs a filter if he is going to train to be a general manager or personell director. Some of his remarks regarding Cortez were not wise to be made publically.

I wish Chap well in Riderville. I was not a huge Cortez fan but he is very experienced football man and the combination of Tedford and Cortez working together should be a good one for our Leos.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Revisionist? Are we back on that topic?

Blitz will probably have a handle on the statistics, etc. But did JC not dial up some outstanding offences? Dickenson. Printers. Pierce. Simon. Joe Smith. Or maybe those were just fond memories conjured up from nothing. Beyond criticism from the fans? No, of course not. Well noted on this site.

I am more than happy to have George Cortez here, to work with Jeff Tedford. But I also recall some outstanding offences run by Jacques Chapdelaine.

Yes Joe, Chappy had moments, but they only seemed to follow inept play calling that didn't reflect the Lions offensive talent. You have to agree that JC is as stubborn as they come. He always pointed the blame at the feet of the players not executing his game plan for the lack of production on O. That didn't wash after with most of us after years of the same tired excuse. And while JC has had outstanding talent during his BC time, it was that talent that was vastly superior to their opposition that perhaps allowed him to believe that it was the execution that was at fault. Yet when he did adjust his running plays, and change his crossing patterns, that is when the good talent was able to beat the opposition game plans, not fully depending upon execution.

Geroy knows that JC loves to throw the ball and he will always enjoy an OC that does that. In Regina, the run game and long bomb were employed by Cortez, neither a Geroy specialty.

At any rate, when the opposition is telling the LIons O what they are running for a play, it has to be owned by the OC for that, and that was the end of the line for this fan and JC as our OC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Blitz will probably have a handle on the statistics, etc. But did JC not dial up some outstanding offences? Dickenson. Printers. Pierce. Lulay. Simon. Joe Smith. Andrew Harris. Or maybe those were just fond memories conjured up from nothing. Beyond criticism from the fans? No, of course not. Well noted on this site.

*Sigh*

2006 was terrific. Kudos to that.

The infighting that took place on the 2004 team offensively manifested itself as a serious of screw ups that cost us a Grey Cup win.

The obstinance and sheer inability to adjust after the winning streak cost the team a 2005 Grey Cup berth.

The run game was a joke despite excessive talent for reason's Rammer stated above.

Lyle Green's career was wasted. Sending Jason Claremont across the middle in a scheme designed to hang him out to dry got his bell rung so many times it shortened his career.

And the shortening of careers of multiple quarterbacks thanks to a scheme (with some help from Dorazio) has been covered ad nauseam.

It damn near took a nervous breakdown for the guy to change up his offense in 2011 to get us to that cup. Ironic considering that the very definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

He wasn't better than his predecessor, and he isn't better than his successor. What he is, and where he should stay, is as a CIS Head Coach. That's his lane.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Are we talking about the same genius that called for 4 straight off tackle running plays on the 1 yard line against the Alouettes and got stuffed each time ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

In short, he's gone, I'm glad, and Geroy is welcome to his opinion. I was glad when he went to Edmonton and very not happy when he returned after he was let go there. His days as OC were characterized by some bright spots followed by lots of mediocrity and underwhelming performances. It is telling to me that Dave Dickenson will be a HC in this league before JChapdelaine. I think we were successful in 2006 as much because of Dickenson as JC. After JC's return, we saw a number of years of diminishing returns and had it not been for a most improbable 2011 season, we probably would have been shot of him and many others far sooner. Was he all that innovative? Well, you can say he was around for 2 GC's. That is ok for a decade's worth of work but considering the talent we had for that decade, many can reasonably talk about a dynasty that never really materialized.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

I want to return to the key aspect of this article and that is not whether Geroy is right or wrong about Chap or Cortez but whether his comments were wise or appropriate.

Geroy is not a retired ex- B.C. Lion player. He is a member of the Leos management staff in a dual operations role -football operations and corporate/business operations.

Simon, when he took the job said. "I’m going to do everything I can to help Wally and Jeff build a winner on the field while also working with Dennis and the business side of the organization to continue to grow the Lions brand.”

I'm not sure how some of Simon's comments regarding George Cortez, who is now our OC, grow the B.C. Lions brand. We`re coming off a big exciting win for our first game of the season that will hopefully put more paying customers in the seats. But the Lions brand needs reinvigoration and our Leos need to be doing everything right to get things turned around, fan wise.