The other Tedford calling card.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

We all know that offence is Jeff Tedford's major calling card but as pointed out by Lowell Ullrich, accountability is another. And with all the flags that flew on Friday, in particular the ill-disciplined variety, are we going to see Tedford dish out some punishment?

Case in point (quote from LU)
"B.C. had eight preventable fouls that led to 17 Saskatchewan points, the worst coming when Michael Brooks was flagged for roughing Kevin Glenn that turned a failed second-and-23 play into a first down."

Watching from the stands, I thought Brooks made a bonehead play. Watching the game on my PVR only exacerbated just how ludicrous his decision to knock Kevin Glenn to the turf was. I can only imagine how deflated the defense was when the Riders were let off the hook so cheaply when they had a big, hard fought stop all lined up.

I am sure a lot of us remember how Antonio Warren, a versatile running back with Lions, lost his job after missing a block that led to Dave Dickensen nearly getting separated from his head. Wally sent a message that day that I think Tedford has to replicate.

At this juncture, the Lions defense doesn't have luxury of creating holes for itself. Especially when it lacks all necessary components for imposing itself upon opponents like we have seen in the past. The head coach has to make it plain that guys can't be selfish, that they need to play as much with their heads as they do with their hands and feet.

I think now is the time for Tedford to stamp this team with his belief in accountability.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

So we're two games into the season here. You guys remember this, right?

Can we get to, I don't know, game six before we start with the 'off with his head' stuff?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:So we're two games into the season here. You guys remember this, right?

Can we get to, I don't know, game six before we start with the 'off with his head' stuff?
In the case of Brooks, his play has been poor and along with the stupid penalty, imo he has earned a spot on the PR. Let's see the next man up on the Dline and not wait for 6 or 7 games.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:So we're two games into the season here. You guys remember this, right?

The player(s) has to get a message as does the entire Lion team - NO FLAGs.

As Bighill notes in his post game media -he doesn't take flags as he's playing for the team to win and he understands it's not personal battles but team discipline and doing your job that wins games.

I think Bighill speaks what I am sure players on offense too are thinking - those not taking flags.

The HC has to set a tone here - this ends now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Penalties are killing the Lions. The message has to be sent that undisciplined and stupid penalties will not be tolerated. I realize that the Lions are the youngest team in the league. I can tolerated (to a degree) penalties made during the course of the play but not penalties such as offsides, unsportsmanlike conduct, roughing the passer.