Is it time to start a defensive tackle airlfit?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

pennw
Legend

Hambone wrote:
pennw wrote:Bottom line is if Ese is a first rounder he should be playing , like other first rounders do .
Best as I can tell there are only 2 players out of this year's entire draft class who are starting. One is 2nd overall pick Sukh Chung in Winnipeg. The other is Rider 3rd rounder DT Rory Connop who isn't exactly lighting things up with 1 tackle to show for 3 starts. EMA is just one of five first rounders who are playing in a backup role or on special teams.
But shouldn't he at least get into the rotation sometimes ? I don't recall seeing him on the field at all. Other picks may not be starters but do they not at least sub in sometimes ? The point I was making is that we moved Westermann over to accommodate this pick , they don't naturally play the same spot . So how's it supposed to work ? Is Westermann effective as a DE ? This reminds me of when we played Keron Williams out of place trying to make a DT out of him.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:But shouldn't he at least get into the rotation sometimes ? I don't recall seeing him on the field at all. Other picks may not be starters but do they not at least sub in sometimes ? The point I was making is that we moved Westermann over to accommodate this pick , they don't naturally play the same spot . So how's it supposed to work ? Is Westermann effective as a DE ? This reminds me of when we played Keron Williams out of place trying to make a DT out of him.
Agreed.

For a first round pick, in a deep draft, at a position where guys can get big time minutes as a rookie, it seems we have seen nothing with our guy.

Any time a guy is drafted way above concensus ratings, it makes you wonder: did the personnel guys or the GM "fall in love with athletic potential," somewhat ignoring solid statistics and down to earth evaluations?

As noted, this fan would love to have the doubts removed. Some raise questions early. Some raise questions later. Some keep the faith all the way.

To follow pennw's post ... One can harldy imagine Ese playing inside, despite Wally stating that fitting inside on occasion was part of what was envisaged for Ese.

BTW, Maxx Forde's numbers at the Combine, and I believe his stats at college, looked superior to Ese's. And Maxx Forde is listed at 6'5'' 272. Ese is listed at 6'2'' 250.

Puzzling to this fan who would love to have his hunch and his doubts proven wrong.

Would it be enough if Ese is a good ST guy but never a starter?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

pennw wrote:
Hambone wrote:
pennw wrote:Bottom line is if Ese is a first rounder he should be playing , like other first rounders do .
Best as I can tell there are only 2 players out of this year's entire draft class who are starting. One is 2nd overall pick Sukh Chung in Winnipeg. The other is Rider 3rd rounder DT Rory Connop who isn't exactly lighting things up with 1 tackle to show for 3 starts. EMA is just one of five first rounders who are playing in a backup role or on special teams.
But shouldn't he at least get into the rotation sometimes ? I don't recall seeing him on the field at all. Other picks may not be starters but do they not at least sub in sometimes ? The point I was making is that we moved Westermann over to accommodate this pick , they don't naturally play the same spot . So how's it supposed to work ? Is Westermann effective as a DE ? This reminds me of when we played Keron Williams out of place trying to make a DT out of him.
I think Westerman moving to end was decided well before the draft and based on Menard's play from last year. The other aspect of the current setup I don't have a handle on is how Minter fits into the equation. He's on the 1 game IL and is definitely DT size. Is Roh playing out of position only until Minter is over whatever ails him, assuming he's not just being stashed there.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Maybe the sack results weren't there but they drew 3 holding calls and an illegal hands to the face all committed by the Riders' best veteran interior OL in veteran guards Brendan Labatte and Chris Best.

Maybe it's just me but seems that teams aren't sending extra defenders on stunts and blitzes this year like they used to. Most of the time it's 4 or 3 man rushes only. Perhaps this is a by-product of the new illegal contact rules? Prior to those changes DCs could attack the passer more aggressively because they knew it was so easy for the DBs to jam receivers farther downfield and get away with the little tugs and holds that made it difficult for receivers to gain any separation.
Good observation. Maybe it's because the Lions no longer have Chapdelaine or Khari Jones running the offence. They don't have a clue how to neutralize the blitz other than bringing in more guys to block. George Cortez called 2 screen plays when the Riders brought the heat and got burned for long gains.
pennw
Legend

Westerman is a 285 lbs guy , which would seem to heavy to be at end where speed is more important . I can see a rotation with Menard and Ese working though as they both seem suited for the end spot. I think Daryl Waud would have been a better pick to rotate with Westerman and he was available when we picked .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I recall Duane Forde's comments on Waud. Athletic enough but probably not explosive enough to play anywhere other than nose tackle. May be a candidate to convert to OL.

At one time he was ranked #3 overall prospect but didn't go until #12 in the draft. Whether Buono and other GMs felt similarly about Waud would be difficult to ascertain. Perhaps that's why he dropped so far. It can be difficult to use a mid 1st round pick on a player perceived to be restricted to where he can contribute at the pro level.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.