Lions 35 - Riders 32 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sheeiissss ...

I had a boatload of comments running during the game. On the TD leading to 22nd point for Riders, I kind of slammed the iPad, and the comments went zap. Sheeisssss ...

Felt about as angry and frustrated as Tedford looks on the sideline.

Wally created this mess. It remains to be seen if Tedford can clean it up.

Mixed messages all night long. Structure good. Defence soft zone. Lulay playing well. Penalties killing us.

Some good signs. Some terrible signs. And a lot of the bad stuff comes from 3 years of rot. IMO ... And even before Benny took over, Wally had an approach that was far, far outdated. IMO ...

Enough for now.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Sheeiissss ...

I had a boatload of comments running during the game. On the TD leading to 22nd point for Riders, I kind of slammed the iPad, and the comments went zap. Sheeisssss ...

Mixed messages all night long. Structure good. Defence soft zone. Lulay playing well. Penalties killing us.

Some good signs. Some terrible signs. And a lot of the bad stuff comes from 3 years of rot. IMO ... And even before Benny took over, Wally had an approach that was far, far outdated. IMO ...

Enough for now.
I hate when that happens
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
MacNews
Team Captain

Offense can't score in the red zone. Defense has too many penalties and can't stop in the red zone.

I had to remind myself that Saskatchewan has Chapdelaine, because it looked like the Benevides era to me.

How ironic that Glenn, McCallum and Messam won tonight, yet BC lost. :bang:

EDIT: Forgot how no lead is safe in the CFL. Nice to win the home opener, and to win in overtime. :yahoo:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Sheeiissss ...

Enough for now.
I hate when that happens
LOL ... You barely finish a sentence. Punctuation? Nah ... LOL

What a horrifying game, in many ways, especially by our defence. And yet ... Lulay shows some tremendous signs. 400+ 2 TDs No Ints ... (3 TDs by game end)

Time left ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Offence showing some great signs. Lulay :thup:

Harris :thup:

Collie :thup:

Defence IMO is just horrible.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dirty hit on Morrah. Just disgusting. Clear shot at the knee. Gheezus...

And then a moon shot by Leone. :thup:

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wow.

Wow.

Lulay brings them back. And Lulay is all the way back. :thup: :thup: :thup:

Looking like the MOP once again.

Wow.

But our defence? Take it out and shoot it. The schemes, not the players. The soft zone. Shoot it.

Tedford is for real. And our team has much growing to do.

Penalties? Horrible.

Defence? Horrible.

swervynmerv
Legend

Wow! That was a huge win by the Leo's!

Still lots to clean up, too many penalties, too many red zone field goals instead of TD's but a win is a win and we will take it.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 34/44 404 3 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
E. ARCENEAUX 7 49 1 15
A. COLLIE 6 84 1 46
A. HARRIS 6 74 0 24
B. BURNHAM 5 63 0 20
S. GORE 5 63 0 29
C. MORRAH 4 64 0 36
R. LUMBALA 1 7 1 7

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 12 70 0 14
S. MURRAY-LAWRENCE 1 4 0 4
T. LULAY 1 2 0 2

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
T. LULAY 1 0 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
R. LEONE 5/5 56 0/1 15

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. LEONE 6 48.2 258 58

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
A. TILLMAN 5 60 12.0 29 0
R. YELL 1 13 13.0 13 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. LEONE 3 188 65 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
S. MURRAY-LAWRENCE 4 78 19.5 25 0
M. IANNUZZI 1 25 25.0 25 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
S. ELIMIMIAN 10 0 0 0
A. BIGHILL 7 0 0 0
M. BROOKS 5 0 0 0
T. LEE 4 0 0 0
R. YELL 4 0 0 0
S. CLARKE 3 1 0 0
K. SMITH 2 0 0 0
C. ROH 2 0 0 0
C. PARKS 2 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 2 0 0 0
C. RWABUKAMBA 1 0 0 0
D. MENARD 1 0 0 0
A. HOFFMAN-ELLIS 0 0 1 0

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 34/44 404 3 0

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 12 70 0 14
Absolutely incredible leadership, guts and courage by Lulay. As good as I have ever seen, probably better than I have ever seen.

Andrew Harris IMO is above and beyond criticism. And I believe Doug Malone is going to get his O Line to create holes for him.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
K. GLENN 23/29 271 2 1

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
W. DRESSLER 9 122 2 45
T. SMITH 4 18 0 8
J. MESSAM 3 20 0 10
J. RICHARDSON 2 77 0 46
S. MOORE 2 16 0 10
C. GETZLAF 1 12 0 12
K. WILLIAMS 1 9 0 9
A. ALLEN 1 -3 0 0

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. ALLEN 10 69 1 16
J. MESSAM 8 85 0 41
K. GLENN 2 7 0 5
B. SMITH 2 1 1 1
T. SMITH 1 8 0 8
W. DRESSLER 1 1 0 1

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 1/1 33 3/3 6

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. EARLY 6 47.5 212 54

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. JACKSON 4 31 7.8 12 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. EARLY 5 310 66 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. JACKSON 2 38 19.0 23 0
W. DRESSLER 1 15 15.0 15 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
J. KNOX JR. 10 0 0 0
J. DOUGHTY 7 0 0 0
T. JACKSON 7 0 0 0
T. HOLLINS 5 0 0 0
T. BRACKENRIDGE 4 0 0 0
W. BROWN 3 0 0 0
T. MAZE 3 0 0 0
M. CARTER 1 0 0 0
R. BAGG 1 0 0 0
V. HARRIS 1 0 0 0
R. CONNOP 1 0 0 0
J. CHICK 1 0 0 0
N. KANKOLONGO 1 0 0 0
No sacks on our QB. When was the last time we ever heard that?

And I applaud Tedford for putting Lulay through self-protection drills this year. :thup:

I wish we had done that with Buck Pierce. And with Lulay prior to this year.

swervynmerv
Legend

Massive win for the Leo's tonight!

Biggest positive is that Lulay, although showing signs of rust, is starting to look like the QB we know and love. If he can stay healthy all year, we could have a real shot at the end if:

1. Clean up the penalties!
2. Start scoring in the red zone consistently
3. Defence needs to get the stop when the opposition is 2nd and long.

Maybe too simplified, but if that all takes place, the Lions could have a decent year.

P.S. Really starting to like Austin Collie
prairielion
Starter

I know it's only one kick, but I don't think, no let me correct myself, there's no way we would've tried a 55 harder to tie with our kicker last year. Let's hope the new guy is the real deal.
Still in Riderville, hating the Riders!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, they surprised me in a pleasant way. Congrats.

Most been said already but FFS. 1 min to play, Riders have the ball, 1st and 10. Do you think we might fill up any gaps in the line because you KNOW they are going to hand it off to Allen or Messam. I knew it, the crowd knew it, the guy who takes the cash in the booth of the parking lot knew it, even the commentators mention at one point that the Lions's D might be better off to pull in the D a bit and close up lanes. Vanilla soft, I have seen Dairy Queen ice cream that is harder than some of those alignments that Washington called. 2nd and 8 and we allow them rush for damn near 8. If this team hadn't had some serious horseshoes up their rectums, they never get a shot to tie the game. Hell, they almost took themselves out of range with another damn procedure call. I guess there is one consolation. It finally looks as though we have a coach who can teach a QB on this team how to preserve himself. 2nd game in a row where Lulay has not seen any serious heat. Getting the ball out much quicker and the Oline is giving him those 2-3 seconds.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Well, they surprised me in a pleasant way. Congrats.

Most been said already but FFS. 1 min to play, Riders have the ball, 1st and 10. Do you think we might fill up any gaps in the line because you KNOW they are going to hand it off to Allen or Messam. I knew it, the crowd knew it, the guy who takes the cash in the booth of the parking lot knew it, even the commentators mention at one point that the Lions's D might be better off to pull in the D a bit and close up lanes. Vanilla soft, I have seen Dairy Queen ice cream that is harder than some of those alignments that Washington called. 2nd and 8 and we allow them rush for damn near 8. If this team hadn't had some serious horseshoes up their rectums, they never get a shot to tie the game. Hell, they almost took themselves out of range with another damn procedure call. I guess there is one consolation. It finally looks as though we have a coach who can teach a QB on this team how to preserve himself. 2nd game in a row where Lulay has not seen any serious heat. Getting the ball out much quicker and the Oline is giving him those 2-3 seconds.
1. The RED ZONE needs to b reworked.
2. The D needs to eliminate unnecessary penalties.
3. Punt coverage has to understand what no yards is and how much it costs the team in yardage.
4. Lulay has to eliminate his suicide passes, Harris and that little RB were tossed season ending passes.
5. If the Lions got 23K for the Riders, it is going to look like a monster crowd in comparison to a TO game.
6. McCallum was on radio TSN saying that he could hit a 54 yard FG still, well that isn't good enough for the Win Pauly.

Some interesting choices by both coaches. The 55 yard FG by Tedford on the rookie K/P Leone after missing a 32 yard convert.

The decision by the Riders to go for the FG in OT vs going for a third and short yardage play. I thought that this one was the correct call as the Riders had been stuffed on a 3rd and short just shortly before and the that a FG would put the Lions in 2 down football, vs 3 down territory if the Riders drove for a TD. Plus if the Lions came to kick a FG, think of the pressure on the rookie K/P at that point.

BTW Gore was horse collared on that OT catch, no call and number 43 ref right there viewing it.

Tell me the PI in OT was a PI, I certainly didn't see it that way, as he broke on the football which he has as much right to as anyone.

I will think of a few more things, I just need to digest this. During the game I did mention how much this game reminded me of the Als game in BC back in the early 2002 season, where the Als looked assured to win only to have victory snatched away from them with a FRL INT and then the Allen to Jackson 107 yard TD for the Lions to win in front of a similar small crowd, especially after the Riders TD sent a few thousand home. Best part was watching all the Rider fans leave as the game went to OT....wow who knew that the didn't have the faith at the 50/50 mark.
Entertainment value = an all time low