Lions 35 - Riders 32 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:The exodus after Allen's TD didn't surprise me nearly as much as the second exodus at the end of regulation. That was bizarre. A group of 4 right in front of me (2 male adults in their 40s/50s and two boys around 11) bolted. All were decked out in Lions' orange t-shirts. I've never left any of the 400+ sporting events I've attended early no matter how lopsided the score. Well at least I've never prematurely left any that didn't involve a soccer ball. The only soccer game I've ever attended, the 1983 NASL Soccer Bowl, is the only premature evacuation blemish on my sports fan resume. I just know not all of those early exiters chose to watch the balance of the game and OT from the concourse TV screens.
The game was taking too long to play. It was about 10:10p when regulation ended. At that point I'm sure some of those who left early were looking at their watches, "Wow, it's getting late... love to stay and watch the finish but this could take another 20 minutes when it should have ended 15 minutes ago..." The first tweet from the Lions' team account acknowledging the win is time-stamped at 10:28p.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lulay has turned the corner on being the hero.

I was convinced he'd never grasp that line of thinking - that he's more valuable to his team uninjured than scoring a great TD or trying to extend a good run into a terrific run.

Getting hurt for your team to some is a badge of honour but the smart ones (many of the top QBs ever - Danny Mac, Peyton Manning and active players like Ryan Phillips realize that if you get hurt and miss games you might never get another chance! You could see that look on his face as he languished on the sidelines.

Buck Pierce would never change his game but I bet as a coach now with the Bombers he's telling Willy to get down on the ground - now that he sees the other side and how coaches think and have to think. There is no way Buck is saying to Willy - don't listen to your OC or HC - your job is to make plays and take on the hard hitting DBs. But when it came to his own play, he couldn't accept that he could play it differently.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:It looks like Morrah is gone for the season....a helmet on knee hit on the lasst play of regulation.

This means that Leonard will take over as a tight end and there is no backup. Adekelo would have to take Leonard's place right now if he got hurt but he is not a tight end.

We are going to have to go looking for a 250 pound tight end who can block, run patterns, go deep, as well as underneath, and has good hands. We'll also have to get this player up to speed.

The H Back Tight End offence has numerous advantages but there is only room for one starter and one import on the practice roster. Its not an easy position to fill or get up to speed.

Morrah had four catches against Regina. Its not good news. Leonard is more raw but looked good in camp. But the H Back offence is going to have to undergo serious adjustments if Leonard gets hurt.
I don't think the Lions lose much with Leonard taking over for Morrah. They have the same body types and both can catch. Morrah may be more experienced but Leonard led all tight ends by running a 4.50 40 at 252 pounds at the NFL combine. I wouldn't want to be in his way.

Adekolu replaced Morrah when he got hurt on Friday. When Adekolu is in, he just becomes a slotback. The Lions would likely to bring in someone else as a tight end in blocking situations. The substitutions might slow down Tedford's tempo offence.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz
Team Captain

I
don't think the Lions lose much with Leonard taking over for Morrah. They have the same body types and both can catch. Morrah may be more experienced but Leonard led all tight ends by running a 4.50 40 at 252 pounds at the NFL combine. I wouldn't want to be in his way.

Adekolu replaced Morrah when he got hurt on Friday. When he's in, he just becomes a slotback. The Lions would likely to bring in someone else as a tight end in blocking situations. The substitutions might slow down Tedford's tempo offence. B.C. Fan
I agree B.C. Fan. No question that Leanord is faster than Morrah. He is a tight end who is designed for the passing game...soft hands, quick, and can play spread out. His blocking will likely be the question mark.

Morrah is gone for the season at least. Adekelu could be used as a situational slotback. Lulay has said he would like to get Leanord the football in the open field. In the meantime, I expect our Leos will be looking for a new tight end for the practice roster. I'm guessing that we'll be bringing in a couple of tight ends after NFL cuts but in the meantime, we will either bring someone new in as a tight end for the practice roster or go with a slot back for a while as a backup to that key position in our offence.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

At the very least I hope Tristan Jackson is fined for that wreckless helmet to the knee hit on Cam Morrah. No place in the game for low hits like that.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

David wrote:At the very least I hope Tristan Jackson is fined for that wreckless helmet to the knee hit on Cam Morrah. No place in the game for low hits like that.

Yes, I'm still wondering if there is a penalty for hits like that. I know you can't go in on a QB like that.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:At the very least I hope Tristan Jackson is fined for that wreckless helmet to the knee hit on Cam Morrah. No place in the game for low hits like that.

A small penance for the result inflicted. Players need to respect the game, as the pay doesn't justify the injuries let alone the cheap shots causing injury.
Entertainment value = an all time low