2015 TV viewership

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

fyi:

Roar Report retweeted Chris Zelkovich
Lions/Redblacks second most watched sporting event in Canada last week with 659,000 avg viewers #bclions #cfl
Qman
Champion

RoarReport tweeted
friday's lions/roughriders games was the #1 watched game in canada last week with 633,000 average viewers as per @czelkov #bclions #cfl
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:RoarReport tweeted
friday's lions/roughriders games was the #1 watched game in canada last week with 633,000 average viewers as per @czelkov #bclions #cfl
Yes, and No. 4 overall after three Pan Am Games broadcasts. (There were only two CFL games on the weekend, and both were up against the most-watched sports event, the Pan Am Games opening ceremonies on Friday.) This week's Lions-Riders rematch should again be the top non Pan Am Games event, if not the top event overall.
1. Pan Am Games, opening ceremonies, Friday, CBC: 1,636,000

2. Pan Am Games, prime time coverage, Saturday, CBC: 996,000

3. Pan Am Games, daily coverage, Sunday, CBC: 739,000

4. CFL, Roughriders at Lions, Friday, TSN: 633,000

6. MLB, Blue Jays at Royals, Sunday, Sportsnet: 629,000

7. Calgary Stampede, showdown, Sunday, CBC: 579,000

8. Calgary Stampede, rangeland derby, Saturday, CBC: 553,000

9. MLB, Blue Jays at Royals, Saturday, CBC: 522,000

10. Pan Am Games, afternoon coverage, Saturday, CBC: 505,000

11. CFL, Alouettes at Blue Bombers, Friday, TSN: 497,000
The Great Canadian Ratings Report: Pan Am Games a big hit, so why isn't there more?
dupsdell1
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Qman wrote:RoarReport tweeted
Yes, and No. 4 overall after three Pan Am Games broadcasts. (There were only two CFL games on the weekend, and both were up against the most-watched sports event, the Pan Am Games opening ceremonies on Friday.) This week's Lions-Riders rematch should again be the top non Pan Am Games event, if not the top event overall.
1. Pan Am Games, opening ceremonies, Friday, CBC: 1,636,000

2. Pan Am Games, prime time coverage, Saturday, CBC: 996,000

3. Pan Am Games, daily coverage, Sunday, CBC: 739,000

4. CFL, Roughriders at Lions, Friday, TSN: 633,000

6. MLB, Blue Jays at Royals, Sunday, Sportsnet: 629,000

7. Calgary Stampede, showdown, Sunday, CBC: 579,000

8. Calgary Stampede, rangeland derby, Saturday, CBC: 553,000

9. MLB, Blue Jays at Royals, Saturday, CBC: 522,000

10. Pan Am Games, afternoon coverage, Saturday, CBC: 505,000

11. CFL, Alouettes at Blue Bombers, Friday, TSN: 497,000

Yes the lions / Sask game should very close to 1 million , I guess people are still turned off of the cfl with all the flags. that is going to take a couple of years

The Great Canadian Ratings Report: Pan Am Games a big hit, so why isn't there more?
David
Team Captain

Once again a game involving the Lions demolished the competition this past week. The Lions-Riders game was #1 in TV ratings for team sports and #4 overall after the Pan Am games. Friday's game attracted an audience of 755,000. The next highest CFL audience was 596,000 for another Western match-up, Winnipeg at Calgary. Missing is Toronto at Calgary, but I doubt it did a bigger number than BC-Sask.

4. CFL, Lions at Roughriders, Friday, TSN: 755,000

8. CFL, Blue Bombers at Stampeders, Saturday, TSN: 596,000

10. CFL, Eskimos at Redblacks, Friday, TSN: 482,000

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

fyi

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport 10h10 hours ago
#bclions TV ratings are up 2% vs last year thru the first 3 games and have been the most watched game each week #cfl
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Once again a game involving the Lions demolished the competition this past week. The Lions-Riders game was #1 in TV ratings for team sports and #4 overall after the Pan Am games. Friday's game attracted an audience of 755,000. The next highest CFL audience was 596,000 for another Western match-up, Winnipeg at Calgary. Missing is Toronto at Calgary, but I doubt it did a bigger number than BC-Sask.

The Tor@Cgy game was played on a Monday night; Chris Z from Yahoo only seems to give weekend numbers which is presumably the source for these. Brook Ward was on 1040 last Saturday suggesting Monday Night Football should be a weekly summer thing. Dear God, no.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:Once again a game involving the Lions demolished the competition this past week. The Lions-Riders game was #1 in TV ratings for team sports and #4 overall after the Pan Am games. Friday's game attracted an audience of 755,000. The next highest CFL audience was 596,000 for another Western match-up, Winnipeg at Calgary. Missing is Toronto at Calgary, but I doubt it did a bigger number than BC-Sask.

All three Lions games lead the way each week and their opener was not even FNF game. Impressive. Where's the Whitecaps game at Portland? LOL

Skulsky needs to take these numbers and throw them in the face of every media member, especially those who suggest the Lions are losing ground to the Whitecaps.
Qman
Champion

whitecaps/portland got 132,000.
most weeks they dont crack 100k
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:

All three Lions games lead the way each week and their opener was not even FNF game. Impressive. Where's the Whitecaps game at Portland? LOL

Skulsky needs to take these numbers and throw them in the face of every media member, especially those who suggest the Lions are losing ground to the Whitecaps.
Speaking of Skulsky with the media, is 1040's Sekeres doing his Presidents' Week/Series this summer? Haven't been able to listen to him much lately, though I don't see that he's tweeted anything about it. Last year's installment of Presidents' Week began on the last Monday of July (DS appeared on the Wednesday) which has almost come around again, although DS's 2013 appearance (when they weren't able to book all five of them on successive days in a single week and went piecemeal over several weeks) wasn't until mid-August.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
kenny
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:

Hardly a fair comparison. When the Whitecaps play Portland there is only one market in Canada with direct interest. When the Lions play the Riders there are two markets. If I am the lions I am watching closely what the Whitecaps are doing. IMO they are doing a lot of things right building a strong fan base. It would not surprise me if a Toronto FC vs Vancouver Whitecaps has better TV ratings than some CFL games.
Qman
Champion

kenny wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:

Hardly a fair comparison. When the Whitecaps play Portland there is only one market in Canada with direct interest. When the Lions play the Riders there are two markets. If I am the lions I am watching closely what the Whitecaps are doing. IMO they are doing a lot of things right building a strong fan base. It would not surprise me if a Toronto FC vs Vancouver Whitecaps has better TV ratings than some CFL games.
There was a Toronto-Montreal game late last year that got 107,000
rest of the intra-canadian games don't crack 100,000.

MLS ratings typically are 25-75k. my understanding is the revenue generated from MLS games is far below cost of production. The games are only on TV because SN/TSN owns TFC via MLSE via their parent companies, and Whitecaps games are walking Bell ads, again parent of TSN.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

kenny wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:

I'm not really a soccer/MLS fan but I don't get the sense there's much a Vancouver-Toronto rivalry there, not like with the NHL — at least from Vancouver's side anyway; my sense is that the Canucks, like most things from the west of this country, are barely on the radar in Toronto.

My impression is Whitecaps fans see Portland and Seattle as their main rivals what with all the talk I hear about the Cascadia Cup. Toronto FC vs Vancouver Whitecaps might well indeed have the largest numbers of any MLS broadcast but I'd say Vancouver probably contributes more viewers to games against their west coast foes.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

kenny wrote:Hardly a fair comparison. When the Whitecaps play Portland there is only one market in Canada with direct interest. When the Lions play the Riders there are two markets. If I am the lions I am watching closely what the Whitecaps are doing. IMO they are doing a lot of things right building a strong fan base. It would not surprise me if a Toronto FC vs Vancouver Whitecaps has better TV ratings than some CFL games.
The Whitecaps drew a record 353,000 viewers for the season opener against Toronto but most weeks they draw around 100,000. Chris Zelkovich wrote about the general lack of MLS interest on TV in March.

The Great Canadian Ratings Report: MLS not scoring on television
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The reality is that soccer fans can get EPL and other top league action and don't really get fired up about the MLS as it's not the star studded league the EPL is where you can see players who will appear in the World Cup, etc. I'm not sure of now, but when one of my then young soccer players was on a try out (he turned it down) with Crystal Palace years back, he was saying we got more EPL weekly games in Canada than they showed in the UK - and I think it is still probably true as the games would likely be shown regionally - and Scotland has it own pro leagues.

The TSN numbers are good are for football but still their narrow mindedness at restricting non - cable subscribers or those of us who subscribe but aren't in Canada - is surprising.

But the CFL would have to drive any changes to extend the reach and growth of the game. Maybe they don't need fans in seats but to me that is part of the game experience for home viewers - getting a sense of the crowd and the atmosphere - although I don't want crowd noise drowning out the commentators.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy