CFL Regular Season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The TSN crew talked a bit about Franklin's background. Apparently he contacted every team seeking a tryout. Ed Hervey in Edmonton decided to give him a shot. I don't know if he was on a CFL neg list before that, or if Hervey was the first to claim his rights.
Thanks.

I now see this other article on how he and Henry Josey (Whitaker's back up) were from Missouri and came to the CFL.

Also I see he passed for over 300 yards in 2 preseason games but didn't dress for the first game.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/m ... 29406.html
Franklin, Josey pursue football dream to Canada

By David Morrison

Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 12:00 am

James Franklin’s tryout with the Edmonton Eskimos in early April left him with one prevailing thought: “Well, I won’t be playing for them.”

Franklin went to work out for the Canadian Football League team in Nebraska and felt he left a good impression on Coach Chris Jones. Just not good enough.

“He was saying some good things and saying some things I need to work on,” Franklin said, “and that it might be a good idea to try some Arena League Football.”

The Eskimos came calling, and the former Missouri quarterback signed with them April 10, joining former Tigers teammate Kendial Lawrence.

Running back Henry Josey, who starred with Franklin on the 12-2 Missouri team in 2013, followed him to Canada six weeks later, signing with the Toronto Argonauts on May 26.

Neither player envisioned a professional career in the Great White North, but both Texans are adjusting to their new realities as they carve out their niche in a new league in a new country with new rules.

“The main thing is just to try to fit in and learn things as you go,” Josey said. “It was pretty tough at first getting used to everything and then also adjusting to being so far away from home. That was probably the biggest part of it all. Now I feel like I’m at home. I’ve gotten more close with my teammates, so everything is going a lot better now for me.”

Josey had no idea the Argonauts were even interested in him. The Angleton, Texas, native knew “nothing at all” about Canada.

He (Franklin) started emailing player personnel directors at CFL teams. He started showing up for tryouts, right up until he landed on the Eskimos.

Article mentions Michael Sam as formerly of the MTL Als. It was written during his absence.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Very polite young man too. Who calls a reporter "Sir"?

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/franklin-i- ... oud~665097
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Very polite young man too. Who calls a reporter "Sir"?

As TSN centre commentator said - maybe that reflects his knowing that he might not see short fields like that again.

_____

Riders got screwed for a 15 yard no yarder - wrong call helped the win solidify.

But Chamblin is looking more now like the final stages of the Barrett era. Too much on one coach, questionable decisions etc.

If he had a DC he should fire him now .... but he doesn't so Chamblin is in tough here.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders lose Kevin Glenn
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Very polite young man too. Who calls a reporter "Sir"?

As TSN centre commentator said - maybe that reflects his knowing that he might not see short fields like that again.

_____

Riders got screwed for a 15 yard no yarder - wrong call helped the win solidify.

But Chamblin is looking more now like the final stages of the Barrett era. Too much on one coach, questionable decisions etc.

If he had a DC he should fire him now .... but he doesn't so Chamblin is in tough here.
The ruling was the defender was not making sufficient effort to vacate the 5yd halo. Bouncing ball is moot in that case. Pretty sure I've seen that called occasionally even before this year. They'll even DQ you if you go in headhunting as Brian Clark did about a decade ago on our PR du jour.

CFL: Knock knock.
Ssk: Who's there?
CFL: Owen.
Ssk: Owen who?
CFL: Owen five.

Glenn may be joining Durant on that Rascal scooter; he didn't return after exiting with injury. As dissatisfied as we may be with our own ball club, wouldn't wanna be a Rider fan right now.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BC 1988
Legend

HAM 31 SSK 21.
Attendance 31,683 a bit of a bounce back from the declines of the last few games.

Chamblin's pre-game rant was a bit too much like Kavis Reed (and we know how that story ended).

Tough luck for them that C.J. Gable plays his first game of the season like he's in playoff form. Meanwhile, Messam looks mere mortal.

Glenn got hit hard multiple times today, but it may have been his tackle on Rico Murray's INT return that injured him enough to finally take him off the field. (Ridiculous for him to be still be on the field and doing that, he was obviously walking wounded at half-time.)

After seeing backup Brett Smith being thrown to the wolves, RiderFan will likely get to see their old friend Sunseri back at the controls :rotf:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Messam and Allen had 5 carries each in the game. Does this sound familiar Lion fans ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:Glenn got hit hard multiple times today, but it may have been his tackle on Rico Murray's INT return that injured him enough to finally take him off the field.
If Rider defenders could tackle like Glenn, they might not be 0-5.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:Glenn got hit hard multiple times today, but it may have been his tackle on Rico Murray's INT return that injured him enough to finally take him off the field.
If Rider defenders could tackle like Glenn, they might not be 0-5.

Their OFF can score but they can't defend. Bad DC.

The pressure to fire someone or do something in Riderville will be huge this week!!!

Chamblin - bring in a DC or a consultant before they fire you!!!
VictoriaFan
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:Messam and Allen had 5 carries each in the game. Does this sound familiar Lion fans ?
saw the old fly sweep fail also, no wonder Glenn was so beat up when its pass rush every down.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
CFL: Knock knock.
Ssk: Who's there?
CFL: Owen.
Ssk: Owen who?
CFL: Owen five.

Glenn may be joining Durant on that Rascal scooter; he didn't return after exiting with injury. As dissatisfied as we may be with our own ball club, wouldn't wanna be a Rider fan right now.
That is a good one, sj. LOL

Owen. Not funny in Riderville though.

Sacks on the QB. Hit after hit after hit. Been there, done that, with Dan Dorazio. His guys get confused when the opponent blitzes. Ooooops Suddenly they are coming from everywhere, and the QB is a sitting duck.

But it is the lack of defence that is going to get Chamblin fired.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Sacks on the QB. Hit after hit after hit. Been there, done that, with Dan Dorazio. His guys get confused when the opponent blitzes. Ooooops Suddenly they are coming from everywhere, and the QB is a sitting duck.
That was absolutely brutal to watch, and they were all penalty-free hits. 3 sacks, 2 of them on Glenn.

Contrast that with the Lions D on Glenn the previous two games. There was 1 sack in each game and Glenn was touched very little.
BC 1988
Legend

One thing I noticed that was interesting during the HAM-SSK telecast was the sideline feature about Ryan Smith's recovery from concussion and his adoption of the Riddell anti-concussion helmet.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... technology
I see Austin Collie, Alex Bazzie, and Andrew Harris have adopted it as well. (The hexagon shape on the front is easier to see with a white helmet).
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Bombers in a heap of trouble if Willy is out for an extended period. Brohm did not look good in relief.
Looks like Willy be continuing to try to play hurt, like he did most of last season. He's only "questionable" for Thursday.

http://www.tsn.ca/bombers-qb-willy-ques ... f-1.336834
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers can breathe a sigh of relief when it comes to the status of starting quarterback Drew Willy.

TSN Radio 1290's Gary Lawless reports Willy's knee injury is not significant and the pivot is questionable for Thursday night's game against the B.C. Lions.

Willy was injured in the third quarter of Winnipeg's 32-3 loss to the Edmonton Eskimos on Saturday night. The injury occurred when Edmonton's Eddie Steele hit the quarterback down low on a combined tackle with Marcus Howard. Willy was helped off the field with an apparent injury to his right knee and was replaced by backup QB Brian Brohm.

Willy went 7-for-17 for 81 yards in the game before exiting. Brohm completed 9 of his 19 attempts for 71 yards with two interceptions as the Bombers were outscored 28-0 in the second half.

Willy has thrown for 994 yards with five touchdowns and two interceptions across five games with the Bomber this season. He has been unable to finish two games due to injury.

If Willy cannot play Thursday, the Bombers will be forced to turn back to Brohm or give third-stringer Robert Marve his first opportunity of the season. Brohm has thrown for 217 yards with no touchdowns and four interceptions while appearing in three games this season.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:One thing I noticed that was interesting during the HAM-SSK telecast was the sideline feature about Ryan Smith's recovery from concussion and his adoption of the Riddell anti-concussion helmet.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... technology
I see Austin Collie, Alex Bazzie, and Andrew Harris have adopted it as well. (The hexagon shape on the front is easier to see with a white helmet).
I noticed that new look helmet all across the league this year; figured it was the latest in concussion reduction technology.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.