CFL Regular Season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Josh Bell is a terrible safety. He has no field awareness and had no idea that Denmark was behind him.

The Stamps lost C Pierre Lavertu to an apparent arm injury. That's their third starting O-lineman in two weeks, after losing two all-stars to free agency in the offseason. I don't expect them to do well in the short term at least.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Wpg @ Cgy now underway to wrap Week 4. Not sure who to root for here as a Lions fan.

Do we resign ourselves that, even though we both sit 2-1 right now, we won't be able to keep pace the whole season with defending champion Cgy and root for them to win and thereby keep the supposedly more overtake-able Bombers in our sights? Or do we root for Wpg as a way to perhaps keep everyone on a more balanced footing? Does the outcome of this game even matter to us at this early stage?

Either way one team will drop below us at 2-2 while the other creates some separation at 3-1, barring a tie.

Wpg draws first blood with a rouge on the opening kickoff and then after a Cgy 2 & out, Clarence Denmark reels in a 75yd catch-and-run TD from Drew Willy. The convert kick makes it 8-0 Wpg.
Just on the face of it, I would root for Winnipeg as the underdog. But then of course the Bombers are competition for us for a playoff spot. So ... I take no position.

Curious to see how Stubler's defence does as the season progresses, with the new rules in place.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Wpg extends their lead to 16-0 after another TD + 1PC + KO rouge but just fumbled a punt return back to Cgy near the Wpg30. Could be the break they need to get back into this game.

EDIT: Mitchell takes three plays to find Eric Rogers open deep in goal for a 19yd TD catch. Rogers adds another catch on the 2PC attempt to close the gap to 16-8.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Now tied at 16
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Special teams are playing a big role in this game. Two Bomber turnovers on special teams led to two Calgary TDs. Both teams have missed field goals but scored singles on kickoffs. Calgary missed a 1-point convert but made a 2-point convert from the 13 yard line.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Special teams cost the Bombers the game. I thought that was Mike O'Shea's specialty but Winnipeg's special teams unit looked poorly coached, giving up a fumble on an undisciplined punt return to set up Calgary's first TD, a blocked punt on a missed assignment that was returned for Calgary's second TD, a missed extra point, missed 52-yard field goal on a bad hold, a wrong-way punt return in the dying seconds capped by a Juwan Simpson interception off Drew Willy with 23 seconds left. Winnipeg lost the turnover battle 4-1. The Stamps didn't look sharp on offence behind their makeshift O-line but they found a way to win.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Special teams cost the Bombers the game. I thought that was Mike O'Shea's specialty but Winnipeg's special teams unit looked poorly coached, giving up a fumble on an undisciplined punt return to set up Calgary's first TD, a blocked punt on a missed assignment that was returned for Calgary's second TD, a missed extra point, missed 52-yard field goal on a bad hold, a wrong-way punt return in the dying seconds capped by a Juwan Simpson interception off Drew Willy with 23 seconds left. Winnipeg lost the turnover battle 4-1. The Stamps didn't look sharp on offence behind their makeshift O-line but they found a way to win.
Terrible throw from Willy on Wpg's final series. Simpson barely had to move from his pre-snap alignment to make the pick and seal the win.

Their final FGA was forced from long distance after taking a TCV on 2nd & long = loss of down after 3MW. So they blew the chance to get it any closer for Lirim H.

After jumping out to a promising 16-0 lead through their first two series, too much overall disorganisation on Wpg's part to get the win. The team that made the fewer mistakes took this one.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I forgot to mention another kick return blunder for Winnipeg when their returner inexplicably touched a kickoff deep in the end zone when the ball appeared to be on its way to the dead-ball line, thereby conceding an unnecessary point to Calgary.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Costly mistake by Drew Willy taking a delay of game penalty resulting in a loss of down and forcing the Bombers to try a long field goal.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Frustration mounts in Rider Nation

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/frustration ... lle~659842
If Taman is smart he will order Chamblin to hire a DC NOW!!! No option. Do it or lose it (your job). Doubling down is not smart as 0 and 4 and their DEF is the issue is getting someone fired and if I were Taman, it's time to force your HC.

Mike B mentioned by Lawless. Not sure of that hire. But Chamblin thinking he can be DC and HC is showing poor judgment. Now not sure he is one of the new bright, smart coaches but just another guy who got lucky with Ws and a great QB.

He needs a DC NOW!!!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is interesting. How lousy the CFL and TSN when it comes to growing and marketing the CFL.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

TSN has no plans for CFL via streaming

BY MARK MELNYCHUK, THE LEADER-POST JULY 20, 2015

This year, TSN allowed clubs to live stream nontelevised exhibition games. The Riders' game against the Calgary Stampeders on June 19 was watched by 100,000 viewers. The stream attracted international viewership, with people from 44 countries tuning in, including 4,000 U.S. viewers and 1,000 in Germany. There were 21,000 fans watching the game at any given time.

Meanwhile, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats' pre-season game against the Ottawa Redblacks on June 8 attracted 10,872 unique viewers. Fiftyone per cent of those viewers tuned in from a mobile device.

Type "CFL streaming" into Google and it's easy to find fans on forums asking where they can watch games online.

"I really don't understand why the CFL doesn't do this. I mean, for God's sake, you can stream minor league baseball and AHL hockey online. Surely there's a comparabl e market, right?" asked Reddit user antonio106.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I can't see TSN doing live streaming of games if it eats into their current TV audience and TV advertising revenue. However if they can operate a pay per streaming broadcast or get businesses to pay for advertising, then streaming to areas that don't get TSN TV may be worthwhile. So don't expect CFL streaming in Canada.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I can't see TSN doing live streaming of games if it eats into their current TV audience and TV advertising revenue. However if they can operate a pay per streaming broadcast or get businesses to pay for advertising, then streaming to areas that don't get TSN TV may be worthwhile. So don't expect CFL streaming in Canada.
Sell it and it cuts into nothing. But it has to be done right. It wasn't before.

TSN have made it impossible to see the game later now as it used to be done. Videos this year are better but half the time their new site doesn't load them properly and I see others who simply don't go their now.

I have TSN at home but can't access it here in Hong Kong or when travelling.

If you want to grow your reach making it hard for fans to see games (those travelling or those overseas workers like me) does the opposite.

As Hambone says to me...get a sling box but if you read the points in the article this is like Blockbuster Video saying no to Netflix whose owner was then out of cash and offered them the company for peanuts. Blockbuster turned them down despite then being a "death spiral" heading to bankruptcy. Now who is laughing.

The digital age means you must deliver the content to whatever personal device your customers want. People today are abandoning cable overseas too as it sucks and they're going to other options.

Your points are how the CFL dinosaurs think and that is exactly how they are TSN think. They can't change the reality of the way things are heading. Change or eventually die.