CFL Regular Season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

Edmonton QB controversy? Looks like Matt Nichols may be on the way out (displaying his displeasure at being pulled is not going to keep him in Chris Jone's good books).
http://www.rodpedersen.com/
"Edmonton Eskimo head coach Chris Jones cut down a budding quarterback controversy Monday, but his starting pivot - Matt Nichols - remains confused over why he was yanked in the first place.

Jones said Nichols, a six-year veteran, will start Friday when the 3-1 Eskimos host the 0-5 Saskatchewan Roughriders.

"Matt Nichols has been the guy that's taken us the last three games, and he's going to be our starting quarterback,'' Jones told reporters after practice.

"We're not going to change a lot when we're winning football games.''

He wouldn't say if Nichols is on a short leash.

"It'll be game-time situations,'' he said.

Nichols was pulled with 20 minutes to go with the Eskimos leading the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 11-3 in the rain last Saturday.

Nichols was 17 for 25 for 196 yards in persistent rain and was the victim of a few dropped balls.

Backup James Franklin came in and fired three touchdown passes to rout the Bombers 32-3, leading to speculation the 24-year-old strong-armed rookie may start Friday.

After Friday's game, a clearly agitated Nichols bolted from the field as the clock ticked to zero, and had to be brought back to face reporters 50 minutes after the contest ended.

At that point he said he didn't know he was going to be pulled until it happened, wasn't told it was for the rest of the game, and wasn't told why.

After the game, Jones wouldn't say why he changed to Franklin, but left the door open to a quarterback switch by refusing to confirm Nichols was still No. 1 on the depth chart.

On Monday, Jones declined to answer follow-up questions on how he came to stay with Nichols and why he nixed, or if he ever really considered, a start for Franklin.

At one point Jones stood mute in the media scrum, refusing to speak.

Nichols has won three games since taking over from the injured Mike Reilly. His play has been serviceable, but not outstanding.

He is 48 for 85 for 650 yards and four TDs, but has five interceptions. He's had some strong passes but has also lobbed his share of overthrows and underthrows.

Nichols told reporters Monday he hasn't spoken with Jones.

"We were starting to take over the game a little bit, so I was frustrated,'' said Nichols.

"I just felt like I was playing a pretty solid game out here in tough conditions. I think my last seven quarters of football have been in a torrential downpour.''

But he emphasized he's behind all of Jones' decisions and is moving on to prepare for Saskatchewan.

Is that part of the frustration, Nichols was asked, having things happen to him without explanation?

Nichols declined to answer except to say, "Any time that they tell me I'm in the game, I'm going to go out and play my hardest, play smart football, and try to put points on the board. That's my job.''

Franklin said he's good with whatever happens.

"If I have to go back in again, I'm going to try my best to do my best and that way hopefully I'll have opportunities later on,'' he said."
BC 1988
Legend

Glenn won't dress for Friday's game vs EDM. Riders are now calling it a "suspected" shoulder injury.
http://cjme.com/story/kevin-glenn-miss- ... ton/571418
The Green Zone has confirmed that Glenn's suspected shoulder injury will keep him out of the lineup against the Eskimos. Glenn was injured at the end of the third quarter against the Tiger-Cats making a tackle after an interception.

So far this season, Glenn has thrown for over 1,400 yards with six touchdowns and five interceptions.

Rookie quarterback Brett Smith will make his first career CFL start in his place with Tino Sunseri acting as his backup.

It's not known at this point how much time Glenn might miss, head coach Corey Chamblin is expected to provide an update after Wednesday's closed practice.

More to come...
EDIT: Report now says Glenn has a "pectoral tear" and has been placed on the 6-Game Injured List
http://www.cfl.ca/article/glenn-out-bre ... for-riders
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I get Nichols frustration - that is just how this guy is wired. Some can just suck it up and say no big deal but others like him are wired differently to be affronted and frustrated.

Also I get the HC's decision to give the team a spark by going to the back up - and the proof there was in the 3 TD throws - none of which Nichols could claim to have been on the verge of.

Old time purists - it's this QB's team and you rise or fall with him - will never change but I think this should be done by any team with decent back ups to do this:

1. develop their talent as that is the best way to get players into the line of fire and experience vs waiting until the starter can't play. Too many potential pro careers for QBs have been destroyed by "sink or swim" coaches.

2. Give the def. a changed look as typically they give the back up plays they know will work for him. Often simple stuff with some good close RB there to take the dump offs and all of a sudden you're back in the game.

The problem with even pro coaches is they don't all make smart, tactical adjustments even when winning. We see some coaches moving away from the run when their first half runs were brilliant. I mean vary the theme that's workking- keep it up but give the DEF some other things to be wary about - versus okay now we'll spend the second half going vertical and failing over and over like the Lions did vs the Argos.

The new QB might have got really lucky - the skies parted - rain stopped - and in that one game with short fields he got what Nicholls hadn't had - wide open REC for TDs. But if that doesn't entitle him to get some playing time - what does?

My preference is for these QBs not to express their annoyed views but that is his personality and he'd just quietly simmer. Wally as HC always conceded that the players were going to say what's on their mind as he's been there as a pro player himself and knows what it's like to these guys who want to get more time on the field - especially the backups as there's more $$$.

I'm not a Chris 'the headhunter' in pre-season - game 1 Jones fan---- but his decision turned a brutal game to watch to something that might sell a few more tickets if fans think they might see this guy again. I will say Jones has done a very good job as a HC but there was never any dispute as to his abilities even as a DC where he was always well regarded.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
BC 1988
Legend

^^^Great analysis Toppy Vann.

I agree that Chris Jones shows better than average flexibility in his coaching decisions. Nichols has been somewhat sheltered from criticism, due to his history of catastrophic injuries. I think being pulled was a test for his reaction and the result wasn't good.

The Lions do need to get their 2 backup QB's into at least some game reps. (If only to assess them properly and replace if need be). Otherwise, if Travis goes down with injury, we will be in worse shape than several other CFL clubs.
squishy35
Legend

Things are really bad in Regina.... Gainer is now being harassed.... http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthre ... -Criticism
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

8 pages on Gainer. Things are bad in Rider Nation. :wink:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:Things are really bad in Regina.... Gainer is now being harassed.... http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthre ... -Criticism
Seriously there is some really funny stuff there - worth a read. Witty, entertaining and great use of football criticisms we all hear applied to the mascot.

Check it out. Everything from those who thinks it's schemes and plays to those who want his HC and GM fired to those who want to get a younger guy but the CIS isn't developing mascot talent like they used to. Funny stuff.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It's official now.

Chappy coaching for Chamblin's firing which if this early part of the game is any indication is heading towards something happening.

If I were a Rider fan I'd be loading the manure trucks now with stops at Chappy's, Chamblin and Taman. (JOKING OF COURSE - only half wits do that).

Chappy refuses to help his young QB with any runs.

This surely must have Allen and Messam and his team going WTF.

Now they can't get the run going.

The young QB is running around and creating a few things but seriously... the Riders have no run packages in this game that could have helped this guy establish his game and get the two RBs both touches so they are in the game fully.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton leading 10-4 at the half.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Edmonton leading 10-4 at the half.
Unreal.

Lapo used the X's and O's to nicely explain why the game plan of Chappy is spot on and that is why he was a HC.
He showed how ESKS def were bringing tons of pressure (unilke BC eh Mark Washington).

BUT the fly in the ointment is that this game could have been done early on.

You still have to give a young QB the kind of plays early that lead to success - settle him down and get yards and points. Chappy didn't do that and he's very lucky he's not down a boatload of points.

X's and O's - it's like in business where you're hired for your technical skills but get promoted and later fired for failing in the conceptual (strategic thinking, sound tactical planning and responses to situations) or human skill sets.

__

Riders punter is a freaking moron. 67 yds for a single. Gives Esks the ball at 35 and Esks get 3 points. McCallum coaching the dummy up on that..

Now not 10-5 but 13-5 and worse than 10 - 4.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sask now trailing 20-5.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Sask now trailing 20-5.
FG+TD later and it's 30-5. Edm D has yet to allow a TD at home in 2015 in nearly three full games.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
VictoriaFan
Starter

felt sorry for the rookie qb, you still have to run to keep the defence guessing, I think the first run was in the second quarter, way to go Chap.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

VictoriaFan wrote:felt sorry for the rookie qb, you still have to run to keep the defence guessing, I think the first run was in the second quarter, way to go Chap.
Esks putting 6 or 7 defenders in the box is all the excuse Chaps needs to abandon the run.

When Esks do the same thing to the Lions next game I hope Cortez doesn't abandon the run and expect Lulay to throw deep.

Not utilizing Harris + Lulay over/under throwing receivers + a sieve for a D will = Guarantee Win night for the Esks. :bang: :bang:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

VictoriaFan wrote:felt sorry for the rookie qb, you still have to run to keep the defence guessing, I think the first run was in the second quarter, way to go Chap.
We've seen this film before.