Riders vs. Lions July 10 Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ryan Phillips' streak of 181 consecutive games played in his 11-year career will end Friday. He has been moved to the injured list with a pulled hamstring suffered last week in Ottawa. Rookie Steven Clarke replaces him at wide-side halfback after backing up the position since the start of training camp. There is only one other change on the roster this week. John Beck draws in as third-string QB for Greg McGhee.

Depth chart here

It's been a long eight months time since the Lions have played at B.C. Place. The Riders and their fans should bring a great atmosphere for football. It's a homecoming of sorts for QB Kevin Glenn, RB Jerome Messam, K Paul McCallum, OC Jacques Chapdelaine and OL coach Dan Dorazio. The Riders are averaging an impressive 538 yards per game on offence, the best start in league history, and they lead the league in rushing and passing, yet they lost their first two games at home and now must try to win on the road. They'll also be missing league-leading receiver Ryan Smith, who has been moved to the injured list.

The Lions showed some flashes on offence in their first game last week. Travis Lulay showed that he can make all the throws and that the Lions can stretch defences by going vertical, but they need a better performance from the OL and RB Andrew Harris to round out the offence.

This game promises a lot of excitement and offence, which is something that was often lacking last year. The team that is best able to make stops on defence will likely emerge on top.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Ryan Phillips' streak of 181 consecutive games played in his 11-year career will end Friday. He has been moved to the injured list with a pulled hamstring suffered last week in Ottawa. Rookie Steven Clarke replaces him at wide-side halfback after backing up the position since the start of training camp. There is only one other change on the roster this week. John Beck draws in as third-string QB for Greg McGhee.

Depth chart here

It's been a long eight months time since the Lions have played at B.C. Place. The Riders and their fans should bring a great atmosphere for football. It's a homecoming of sorts for QB Kevin Glenn, RB Jerome Messam, K Paul McCallum, OC Jacques Chapdelaine and OL coach Dan Dorazio. The Riders are averaging an impressive 538 yards per game on offence, the best start in league history, and they lead the league in rushing and passing, yet they lost their first two games at home and now must try to win on the road. They'll also be missing league-leading receiver Ryan Smith, who has been moved to the injured list.

The Lions showed some flashes on offence in their first game last week. Travis Lulay showed that he can make all the throws and that the Lions can stretch defences by going vertical, but they need a better performance from the OL and RB Andrew Harris to round out the offence.

This game promises a lot of excitement and offence, which is something that was often lacking last year. The team that is best able to make stops on defence will likely emerge on top.
That distinction possibly deserves a bit of an asterisk with 70 of those yards coming on their two 35yd TD drives in OT of their second game, which wouldn't have happened if they hadn't allowed the Argos a TD in the dying seconds of regulation. So this leaves them with an average of 503yds through four quarters. Maybe it's still best, but I'd like to know for sure.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Riders are averaging an impressive 538 yards per game on offence, the best start in league history, and they lead the league in rushing and passing, yet they lost their first two games at home and now must try to win on the road. They'll also be missing league-leading receiver Ryan Smith, who has been moved to the injured list.
Good for Jacques. He had some great offences in his time here in B.C. And Dorazio had some very good running attacks at times, especially with Joe Smith behind some zone blocking. So far, it seems Dan Dorazio is keeping it simple with his O Line in Saskatchewan. That is key for him.

The Riders will be hungry for a win. As will we.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Ryan Phillips' streak of 181 consecutive games played in his 11-year career will end Friday. He has been moved to the injured list with a pulled hamstring suffered last week in Ottawa. Rookie Steven Clarke replaces him at wide-side halfback after backing up the position since the start of training camp. There is only one other change on the roster this week. John Beck draws in as third-string QB for Greg McGhee.

Depth chart here

That distinction possibly deserves a bit of an asterisk with 70 of those yards coming on their two 35yd TD drives in OT of their second game, which wouldn't have happened if they hadn't allowed the Argos a TD in the dying seconds of regulation. So this leaves them with an average of 503yds through four quarters. Maybe it's still best, but I'd like to know for sure.
I don't have the answer, but I think it would be splitting hairs. OT stats have always counted in football, basketball and hockey, as do extra-time stats in soccer and extra innings in baseball. This isn't the first time a team has played an overtime game at the start of the season. One memorable example was the 2010 season opener, in which Saskatchewan beat Montreal 54-51, including two OT touchdowns. They followed that game with a 37-18 victory over B.C. By my count, they racked up 1058 yards passing and rushing in those two games, still 18 yards behind their total this year.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:The Riders are averaging an impressive 538 yards per game on offence, the best start in league history,
I don't have the answer, but I think it would be splitting hairs. OT stats have always counted in football, basketball and hockey, as do extra-time stats in soccer and extra innings in baseball. This isn't the first time a team has played an overtime game at the start of the season. One memorable example was the 2010 season opener, in which Saskatchewan beat Montreal 54-51, including two OT touchdowns. They followed that game with a 37-18 victory over B.C. By my count, they racked up 1058 yards passing and rushing in those two games, still 18 yards behind their total this year.
True. I'm not all that hung up on it; I just wondered if with the OT it might be overstating the case slightly, especially since it happened because they choked away a late lead in a game they could have won in regulation. MLB distinguishes some "volume" records (especially single game records) when they are achieved with extra innings.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Keys to the game for the Lions include:

Lulay: needs to improve his passing accuracy.

Oline: need to provide some run blocking. I am expecting a incremental improvement but not holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

Harris: needs to get the ball, so if the Oline can't open holes, then short passes with receivers blocking downfield after the catch.

H-back: needs to make some sort of impact be it blocking or receiving + YAC.

Defence: need to actually wrap up and tackle.

Dline needs to figure out how to run stop and pressure the QB or it will be a long night.

A strong argument can be made that the Lions have the worst, least experienced Oline and Dline in the CFL. Since most games are won and lost in the trenches, I'm predicting a Lion loss.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:A strong argument can be made that the Lions have the worst, least experienced Oline and Dline in the CFL. Since most games are won and lost in the trenches, I'm predicting a Lion loss.
A strong argument can be made that the Riders also have the worst linebacking corps in the CFL and the Lions have the best. Watch for the Lions to try to attack their weakness.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Early in the season but it's a battle of the winless Lions and Riders. Lions lost their opener 27-16 to the Ottawa RedBlacks. Riders lost a heartbreaker in double overtime to the Argos.

Keys to the game:

i) Pressure Kevin Glenn and get into his passing lane. He had a career game last week throwing over 400 yards.

ii) Capitalize on their scoring opportunities and not leave points on the field

iii) Lack of discipline together with poor tackling gave Ottawa good field position and prolonged drives last week. This has to improved if the Lions hope to win Friday
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth chart ...

O Line, within the scheme and play calling, needs to open holes for Harris.

A number of missed throws by Lulay vs RBs. Hopefully that will improve.

Brooks and Roh at DT. Unproven it seems to me.

Will our scheme and play calling pressure the QB?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

leo4life
All Star

Mark Washington said his unit is ready to go.He emphasied that they must tackle,grab loose balls and get off the field on 2nd down.Eliminiam said the game plan looks good.Hope they attack instead of the usual zone,predictable conservative approach which is dont getting it done imho
Rammer
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:Mark Washington said his unit is ready to go.He emphasied that they must tackle,grab loose balls and get off the field on 2nd down.Eliminiam said the game plan looks good.Hope they attack instead of the usual zone,predictable conservative approach which is dont getting it done imho
Lions aren't going to change their spots on D. Most think that the Lions DL is too weak vs the Riders OL and that in today's CFL spells a loss. Next thing you know the Lions won't blame the players execution for the main reason the team lost. Things change but most things stay the same.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Saskatchewan at B.C.

The Roughriders were oh so close again to getting in the win column. They've lost by four and by two points respectively. Meanwhile, the Lions can't be happy with an 11-point loss to the REDBLACKS in their first game of the season. Kevin Glenn and Paul McCallum head back to B.C. Place stadium and the Riders defence shows the type of aggression and attitude Corey Chamblin wants from his defence.

PICK: Saskatchewan with 60% confidence
cfl.ca

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rammer wrote:
leo4life wrote:Mark Washington said his unit is ready to go.He emphasied that they must tackle,grab loose balls and get off the field on 2nd down.Eliminiam said the game plan looks good.Hope they attack instead of the usual zone,predictable conservative approach which is dont getting it done imho
Lions aren't going to change their spots on D. Most think that the Lions DL is too weak vs the Riders OL and that in today's CFL spells a loss. Next thing you know the Lions won't blame the players execution for the main reason the team lost. Things change but most things stay the same.
Don't you mean the Lions WILL blame the players lack of execution if there is a loss, or am I missing something here? :dizzy:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Game day, baby. In addition to the usual storylines of two rivals looking for that crucial first victory of the season and the ex-coaches and players facing their old teams, I'm looking forward to checking out the new pregame and in-game entertainment and seeing the new turf. According to LU, the turf feels a lot different to the players, who have been experimenting with their shoes on the softer surface. I wonder if the Riders brought extra shoes.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Far from a sellout