22,000 sold for home opener

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The smallest dome crowd to see the Riders since 2001 had mostly departed having seen enough of a dominating officiating crew that threw 32 flags and a Lions offence that repeatedly morphed into wallflowers upon hitting the red zone.
Source: The Province.

If the waterboys want the franchise at less than $40 million, they're going about it the right way with crowd numbers plummeting and ticket prices at the zenith.

Back to the days where a season ticket holder (2) couldn't give the other ticket away potentially. It came with free parking by the stadium and the promise they didn't need to buy even a hot dog or bag of peanuts...lol. Still no takers and my wife stopped wanting to come and my kids to old to punish.

The come from behind might excite them again - let's hope so.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I always kind of thought Scott Ackles was being slowly groomed to take over his dad's position, ever since he left the President job in Calgary to take the job of GM of the 2011 Grey Cup fetival. But that hasn't happened.
I do think Skulsky is failing as the President. All he does is find excuses for why, but no answers.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:I always kind of thought Scott Ackles was being slowly groomed to take over his dad's position, ever since he left the President job in Calgary to take the job of GM of the 2011 Grey Cup fetival. But that hasn't happened.
I do think Skulsky is failing as the President. All he does is find excuses for why, but no answers.
I wonder whether Ackles fils would want the job. Not because the Lions brand has lost some of its lustre the last few years but because he just wants to stay out of the shadow of Ackles père.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Ravi
Legend

Honour Dewalt wrote:I always kind of thought Scott Ackles was being slowly groomed to take over his dad's position, ever since he left the President job in Calgary to take the job of GM of the 2011 Grey Cup fetival. But that hasn't happened.
And Braley seems content to let Skulsky continue to do this. So much of Bob Ackles' work has been undone since his death and it is sad to see this. This fan base is simply not growing - and seemingly decreasing - and there doesn't seem to be any concrete ideas among the current Lions brass as to how to reverse this.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:
And Braley seems content to let Skulsky continue to do this. So much of Bob Ackles' work has been undone since his death and it is sad to see this. This fan base is simply not growing - and seemingly decreasing - and there doesn't seem to be any concrete ideas among the current Lions brass as to how to reverse this.
You have two choices if the Lions:

1. Try and grow the game - keep upper deck open for those fans you can get to come. Downside: added cost that once agreed to - will detract from the game revenues if the fans don't come to the game. Also, CFL telecasts are keeping fans home.
Bottom Line: Whitecaps model can work - sell lower dome only.

2. Max revenue per ticket/seat in lower bowl.
Upside: Fans want this and support draping off upper areas. Lion studies show their fan base earns 90K per yer (IIRC).
This gives the Lions cost certainty and can reduce marketing costs with 'this is their 23rd sell out' like in MTL.

Skulsky is on option 2 and on course - right now he can blame the team.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:
I wonder whether Ackles fils would want the job. Not because the Lions brand has lost some of its lustre the last few years but because he just wants to stay out of the shadow of Ackles père.
Might be a rather large paycut to give up his job as VP - Sales, Marketing & Communication for Paladin Security Group........assuming he's still with them. He always said the 2011 GC gig gave him the opportunity to be closer to his mother after his dad's passing. While Bob loved every aspect of football and couldn't imagine working anywhere but in the sport I don't think Scott had quite the same desire.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Ravi wrote:
You have two choices if the Lions:

1. Try and grow the game - keep upper deck open for those fans you can get to come. Downside: added cost that once agreed to - will detract from the game revenues if the fans don't come to the game. Also, CFL telecasts are keeping fans home.
Bottom Line: Whitecaps model can work - sell lower dome only.

2. Max revenue per ticket/seat in lower bowl.
Upside: Fans want this and support draping off upper areas. Lion studies show their fan base earns 90K per yer (IIRC).
This gives the Lions cost certainty and can reduce marketing costs with 'this is their 23rd sell out' like in MTL.

Skulsky is on option 2 and on course - right now he can blame the team.
Angus Reid has rarely been shy about expressing himself. He had this tweet on Friday afternoon, hours before the home opener, delivered completely ex nihilo as far as I can tell:
The GREAT Bobby Ackles always told me - you don't sell tickets, you build fans. Then those fans will buy tickets. Not the other way around.
That sounds like a thinly veiled criticism of the current regime.

Speaking of AR, he'll be on Global news with Steve Darling in the morning, 7:20am to review Friday's win.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

In building a fan base it's like fund raising. You raise friends first, then money. If they see you only when you are raising funds, they'll give you nothing.

Lions need to build a fan base much like the CFL but there's hardly any new ideas beyond good TV coverage that hurts their gates.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:The GREAT Bobby Ackles always told me - you don't sell tickets, you build fans. Then those fans will buy tickets. Not the other way around.
That sounds like a thinly veiled criticism of the current regime.
Funny I was thinking the opposite. Most of the armchair marketers here seem to advocate that the only way to get fans in is to cut ticket prices (sell tickets). One of Ackles' greatest legacies was how he re-engaged the Lions with the community (build fans). Community involvement combined with a winning entertaining product have to be the 2 most important aspects of marketing. If the programs started under Bob had faded away I'd support a lot of the criticisms tossed at the club but contrary to what seems popular opinion the Lions have not fumbled the community ball since Bob's passing. Given the emergence of new post-Ackles community efforts such as Be More Than a Bystander, Huddle Up Against Bullying and others the Lions have actually grown and expanded on Bob's legacy. For some reason while many continually criticize the bottom price point as the most important factor I don't think I've seen any recognition for how much effort and obvious financial commitment the organization puts into getting involved in the community.

It might be a worthwhile exercise to click on the COMMUNITY link in the Lions website to refresh some memories about how much effort the club puts into marketing. The Lions do have partners in these but there is no doubt significant financial support also provided by the club. I realize similar links for other clubs may not tell the whole story there but when looking at them it appears the Lions are as active as any other club in the CFL, if not the leaders when it comes to community involvement. Don't just look at the list but take a look at the program information on all of them. The second video showing Lulay in the Be More Than a Bystander link is particularly compelling.

http://www.bclions.com/main/index
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions do an outstanding job in the community, from their "Be not a bystander" campaign to their various school programs, their support for amateur football and outreach at community and corporate events. Their involvement in the community pays off. Dennis Skulsky said on Team 1040 on the weekend that corporate sponsorship revenue is higher than ever. Lions TV viewership is also among the strongest in the league and Lions gear is easier to find than ever in stores and being worn on the streets. The only weakness is attendance at games, and that probably has as more to do with the widespread availability of free HDTV broadcasts than with any decline in fan interest.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions do an outstanding job in the community, from their "Be not a bystander" campaign to their various school programs, their support for amateur football and outreach at community and corporate events. Their involvement in the community pays off. Dennis Skulsky said on Team 1040 on the weekend that corporate sponsorship revenue is higher than ever. Lions TV viewership is also among the strongest in the league and Lions gear is easier to find than ever in stores and being worn on the streets. The only weakness is attendance at games, and that probably has as more to do with the widespread availability of free HDTV broadcasts than with any decline in fan interest.
One has to take what Skulsky says with a grain of salt these days. He's the master of hyperbole.
dupsdell1
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions do an outstanding job in the community, from their "Be not a bystander" campaign to their various school programs, their support for amateur football and outreach at community and corporate events. Their involvement in the community pays off. Dennis Skulsky said on Team 1040 on the weekend that corporate sponsorship revenue is higher than ever. Lions TV viewership is also among the strongest in the league and Lions gear is easier to find than ever in stores and being worn on the streets. The only weakness is attendance at games, and that probably has as more to do with the widespread availability of free HDTV broadcasts than with any decline in fan interest.

I have to disagree with something's I do not see any lions gear out here in the pitt meadows area , But when I was in Abbotsford the other day bc lions stuff everywhere,. And I did hear there is more people wearing it downtown than usual.

Ticket prices too high is a big part of it ,

I have a gut feeling the lions will get a good crowed against Toronto especially if they look good winning on Friday against Sask.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The CFL has always been a gate attendance driven league. However large TV viewing numbers seem to suggest times are changing and the CFL is finally getting some decent TV $. The league needs to be on top of the trend toward internet viewing and make sure that they don't loose their TV audience but rather follow them to the internet if that is the way sports viewing is headed.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It looks like Skulsky wasn't at his usual place on the sidelines for the opener. I glanced over at one point from my seats and couldn't see him there. But it was during the TSN replay of the game I noticed him standing in the end zone with Wally during McCallum's FG attempt in overtime. Please may this be the case from now on.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:It looks like Skulsky wasn't at his usual place on the sidelines for the opener. I glanced over at one point from my seats and couldn't see him there. But it was during the TSN replay of the game I noticed him standing in the end zone with Wally during McCallum's FG attempt in overtime. Please may this be the case from now on.
Does it really matter where Sulsky watches the game from?

During last nights Argos at Stamps game they showed a shot of some Argo fans sitting in the stands and Argo GM Barker was one of them.