22,000 sold for home opener

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Centrum22
Starter

Ravi wrote:
Things aren't going to improve in B.C. until Braley sells that team. He has no vision or long-term plan for the Lions and, while you can blame Skulsky all you want, the buck ultimately stops with Braley. The future looks much brighter in Toronto without Braley. A sale of the Lions is what is needed to re-energize and reinvigorate the Vancouver market. Sorry, but a home opener against the Riders in recent years would have drawn much more than the 22k or 24k or 26k that will be on hand this week.
Absolutely. But the first thing the new ownership needs to do is expunge Skulsky and any remnants of his inept marketing/ticketing philosophy, which is systematically eroding the Lions' fanbase, both current AND future, by gouging more and more money out of fewer and fewer fans, who are shrinking in ever greater numbers precisely because they are getting gouged.

The most regrettable part of Skulsky's legacy is that the harm he has done will endure long after he is gone due to his alienation of the future fanbase (i.e., children, high school kids and college kids who were priced out of the game).

These prices comparisons tell the story:
SammyGreene wrote:
Lowest ticket price for an adult (all fees included) for each CFL team:

1. Montreal $29
2. Winnipeg $29.75
3. Ottawa $35 (no end zone seats)
4. Hamilton $35.75 (no end zone seats)
5. Edmonton $37
6. Saskatchewan $38
7. Calgary $38.50
8. Toronto $41
9. BC $44
J5V wrote:
Lowest ticket price for a child (all fees included) for each CFL team:

1. Edmonton Eskimos $ 14
2. Montreal Alouettes $ 15
3. Winnipeg Blue Bombers $ 23.50
4. Saskatchewan Roughriders $ 24
5. Toronto Argonauts $ 32.75
6. Calgary Stampeders $ 33.50
7. Ottawa Redblacks $ 35
8. Hamilton Tiger-cats $ 35.75
9. BC Lions $ 44
Last edited by Centrum22 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeAK
All Star

Centrum22 wrote:
Ravi wrote:
Things aren't going to improve in B.C. until Braley sells that team. He has no vision or long-term plan for the Lions and, while you can blame Skulsky all you want, the buck ultimately stops with Braley. The future looks much brighter in Toronto without Braley. A sale of the Lions is what is needed to re-energize and reinvigorate the Vancouver market. Sorry, but a home opener against the Riders in recent years would have drawn much more than the 22k or 24k or 26k that will be on hand this week.
Absolutely. And the first thing the new ownership needs to do is expunge Skulsky and any remnants of his inept marketing/ticketing philosophy, which is systematically eroding the Lions' fanbase, both current AND future, by gouging more and more money out of fewer and fewer fans.

The most regrettable part of Skulsky's legacy is that the harm he has done will endure long after he is gone due to his alienation of the future fanbase (i.e., children, high school kids and college kids who were priced out of the game).

These prices comparisons are shocking:
SammyGreene wrote:
Lowest ticket price for adults (all fees included) for each CFL teams:

1. Montreal $29
2. Winnipeg $29.75
3. Ottawa $35 (no end zone seats)
4. Hamilton $35.75 (no end zone seats)
5. Edmonton $37
6. Saskatchewan $38
7. Calgary $38.50
8. Toronto $41
9. BC $44
J5V wrote:Lowest ticket price for a child (all fees included) for each CFL team:

1. Edmonton Eskimos $ 14
2. Montreal Alouettes $ 15
3. Winnipeg Blue Bombers $ 23.50
4. Saskatchewan Roughriders $ 24
5. Toronto Argonauts $ 32.75
6. Calgary Stampeders $ 33.50
7. Ottawa Redblacks $ 35
8. Hamilton Tiger-cats $ 35.75
9. BC Lions $ 44
Had to log in because I completely agree. Many of us have been harping about prices for years. The Canadian dollar value isn't helping, but the reality of the situation is that most families and young adults just simply can't entertain the idea of going because of the cost. The Lions have and are continuing to miss out on growing their fanbase because youngsters aren't going. The bond that most of us were able to establish while young is not being capture with todays youth. It isn't anything new, this has been a problem for 5+ years so we're now at that point where we should really start to see it. I feel like the Lions have lost an entire generation of fans. The Lions need Skulsky and the rest of those dinosaur's gone. They are completely out of touch with the avg workingman's householed... people who have always been the life of the CFL.
MacNews
Team Captain

David wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:The market has changed, as others have noted, with every game now not only on local TV but on HDTV. I know many former season ticket holders who now enjoy watching the games on their own big screens without the expense and hassle of commuting, parking and buying tickets.
The good news is that the Lions are aware of this trend and are taking steps to lure the coach potato by creating new/unique stadium experiences.

Examples are:
* the expanded "tailgate" on the Plaza with beer garden and an outdoor barbecue
* "Happy Hour" drink + 25% off top-notch food specials - a brilliant way to entice fans to come to the game early and get them in their seats prior to kick-off
* "Club Orange" - an intimate "lounge" type atmosphere aimed at 20/30 year old fans with drink specials and a live DJ

Of course, this is great for casual fans, but for the club's Super Consumers they're going to have to improve the real-time, in-stadium stats and cool video scoreboard/ribbon experiences if they want to compete with the home viewer.

One area I don't see working this year is their half-time show. Granted, I never stay in my seat so it doesn't much matter to me, but a whole season of alumni panels hosted by the GM's daughter?? I won't pass judgment 'til I see it live but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how passed the pitch meeting. You've got 4 people who don't speak professionally for a living who must inform and entertain the thousands of people who DO stay in their seats at half-time. At the very least, better to have a professional hostess - someone like Jody Vance. And the home opener are alumni even casual fans can identify with - Geroy, Brent Johnson, Tommy Europe....but who are going to be guest panelists in Week 18? I really think they cheaped out on this one.

DH :cool:
Does it cost that much to bring in the PNE Super Dogs and Mascot Soccer?

In-game presentation has been weak since we lost Ackles. Remember in '04 when he brought the Huskies marching band in for the Western Final. Fat chance the Lions would spend the :2cents: today,
Ravi
Legend

Hambone wrote:
David wrote:LOL, Wally was on with Bro Jake and Pratt this morning and he mentioned the fact that there are still a lot of good tickets left "which in a way for me is a little bit disappointing (because) it's the home opener, we didn't play here in the preseason, the fact that Travis is having his first start here in nearly 2 years, and the Riders are in town..."

Look, I know he wants to sell tickets to create the best atmosphere for his team, but c'mon. Does he need to go back and watch the Eastern Semi in Montreal again? Or a reminder that the club is already 0-3 under Tedford (including preseason) and have scored exactly 2 touchdowns in that time??

Disappointing? Sure. Surprising, given that it's the summer, a quiet lead-in, and the factors above? No.

DH :cool:

I don't put much stock at all in the ESF game as a factor. However I totally agree with Skulsky's comments the other day that fans as using their wallets, and rightfully so he admitted, to show how disappointed they were in the Lions' lackluster home performance all year long last year. They went 4-5 losing more home games in 2014 than they had the previous 2-1/2 seasons combined and did so playing a brand of football that was not the least bit entertaining. He acknowledged they need to give the fans a reason to come back but I think the fanbase is jaded after last year. I like the offseason changes and willingness Braley has shown to invest in the coaching staff, tools and environment to help the team be better prepared, more competitive etc. I think the fans are from Missouri though. The are in "Show Me" mode. They don't want to invest in the Lions until the Lions show their offseason investments are showing in the onfield product.
Other than the ones who foolishly left early tonight, no Lions fan can complain about the entertainment value of the home opener. Hopefully it translates into increasing crowds as the season progresses.
J5V
Rookie

Only 23,062 in attendance. About 4,500 short of a lower bowl sell-out. The fan base is getting smaller and smaller. Again, the mis-pricing of tickets for a few years and no breaks at all to bring the youngsters is a huge reason for this.
Alputt
Champion

Just came back from the game, yeah I was disappointed to see a few "holes" in the seating. Home opener against Sask would have thought 25,000 plus easy. The atmosphere was decent given the quality of the game but really with our population we should be doing 30,000+ on a regular basis. Lots of "young" (under 30's) in the crowd but not enough of that demographic to make it "cool". I'm 34 and unfortunately the CFL in Vancouver lost a lot of credibility in the 90's amongst my peers. Interest can be won back and the new pre-game experience at Terry Fox plaza with the beer garden and improved social media presence should pay dividends in future. Closing the cheap party seats upstairs was a bummer but I understand a tough call for the team when competing with the Whitecaps for prominence amongst the sub 30 crowd... $90+ coaches sideline seats don't help much either. They are pricing out the new generation.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:Other than the ones who foolishly left early tonight, no Lions fan can complain about the entertainment value of the home opener. Hopefully it translates into increasing crowds as the season progresses.
The first half seemed pretty listless to me overall and even well into Q3 at least on the Lions' part. It kind of reminded me of the 2005 GC played in the same building, in terms of starting slowly before building to a dramatic ending.

I don't like to harp too much on fans for leaving early. Yeah, it was still "mathematically possible" to win, or however you want to phrase it and they proved it. But this team showed almost nothing so far this year from the first snap of preseason through about 58 minutes tonight that they could pull that one out of the fire. It also took a long time to play the game what with all the penalties and a few injuries. Regulation alone didn't end until about 10:10pm local time. It could even have gone another ten minutes had we not score the GWTD on 2nd & goal. Some people still have to get up early in the morning whether for work (even on a Saturday) or whatever weekend projects await them at home. Some fans bring their young kids and don't want them up too late.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Alputt
Champion

I mean a lot of casual sports fans in their 20's and 30's I invite to games balk at $72 for red zone or even $53 for corner when you can go to a Canadians or Whitecaps game for half that and still be part of "an event". $90+ for the good seats is generally considered ridiculous. And I am talking about young professionals who have the means but consider value for money... They might pay that for Canucks, but it's an issue for sure. Still a good age mix and lots of new Lions gear on display at the game tonight... but it is an expensive proposition for those struggling with high costs of living in the Lower Mainland etc.

We all have our opinions on the TSN crew but the relatively slick production and having all games on TV also does wonders for the credibility of the Lions and the league.

Would love to see some 30,000+ crowds this season and bring back the upper bowl!
dupsdell1
Champion

Alputt wrote:I mean a lot of casual sports fans in their 20's and 30's I invite to games balk at $72 for red zone or even $53 for corner when you can go to a Canadians or Whitecaps game for half that and still be part of "an event". $90+ for the good seats is generally considered ridiculous. And I am talking about young professionals who have the means but consider value for money... They might pay that for Canucks, but it's an issue for sure. Still a good age mix and lots of new Lions gear on display at the game tonight... but it is an expensive proposition for those struggling with high costs of living in the Lower Mainland etc.

We all have our opinions on the TSN crew but the relatively slick production and having all games on TV also does wonders for the credibility of the Lions and the league.

Would love to see some 30,000+ crowds this season and bring back the upper bowl!

Just got home from work there people in the lunch room watching the ending unreal , please do not open up the upper deck the lower bowl looks unreal on tv I know only 23,000 but it looked packed if the lions win in sask next weekend I can say I will be there for the next game
Alputt
Champion

I hear you probably looks better on TV and the atmosphere was arguably better. The last couple seasons they had "cheap" (under $40) tickets and a party scene in the upper bowl which we miss... however it's all good just want to see the Lions draw crowds that make the upper bowl viable again. I would say 25,000 is probably a league average so I'm not complaining, but we have 2M+ in Vancouver we should have a better gate and more price point options for families and young people who have a limited budget...

I'll still go regardless.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Alputt wrote:I hear you probably looks better on TV and the atmosphere was arguably better. The last couple seasons they had "cheap" (under $40) tickets and a party scene in the upper bowl which we miss... however it's all good just want to see the Lions draw crowds that make the upper bowl viable again. I would say 25,000 is probably a league average so I'm not complaining, but we have 2M+ in Vancouver we should have a better gate and more price point options for families and young people who have a limited budget...

I'll still go regardless.
The Lions are delivering EXACTLY what the fans said they wanted.

A few of us - myself included - suggested that fans be careful what they wish for - game day atmosphere with packed lower bowl, drape off the upper deck.

Why did we say that? Two reasons:
1. the Lions had a survey that showed a high income population coming to games.
2. the Lions would then simply create a supply and demand problem and max the per ticket revenue - exactly what they've achieved.

All accomplished with the aid of the fans wanting the intimate lower bowl.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

J5V wrote:Only 23,062 in attendance. About 4,500 short of a lower bowl sell-out. The fan base is getting smaller and smaller. Again, the mis-pricing of tickets for a few years and no breaks at all to bring the youngsters is a huge reason for this.
Seems to me that there are a lot less Rider fans in the crowd than normal. Maybe it's due to their 0-2 start.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
J5V wrote:Only 23,062 in attendance. About 4,500 short of a lower bowl sell-out. The fan base is getting smaller and smaller. Again, the mis-pricing of tickets for a few years and no breaks at all to bring the youngsters is a huge reason for this.
Seems to me that there are a lot less Rider fans in the crowd than normal. Maybe it's due to their 0-2 start.
Def my impression as well. Enough to be noticeable but they've rep'ed better in recent years. There are Rider fans on the island who might have made the crossing for a Sat/Sun game but passed on this one.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Def my impression as well. Enough to be noticeable but they've rep'ed better in recent years. There are Rider fans on the island who might have made the crossing for a Sat/Sun game but passed on this one.

Yes usually there are more rider fans , but I do understand the riders at 0-2, game not on a sat / sun aft or evening game ( which I think was a mistake should have played the game tonight ) easily there would have been at least 25,000 in there , Looked great on tv sound noisy I defiantly will be going to the next game at home.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Speaking of less-than-ideal scheduling I just noticed that the game in Cgy to wrap Week 3 is being played not today or tomorrow but on Monday night, which is no doubt because the annual Stampede doesn't wrap until tomorrow. And who are they facing in this tilt but the Argos of course. Even on the road the double blue seem to get stuck with some of the worst days to play on. They get a bye next week for their troubles but it's going to be a short week for Cgy as they host Wpg on the following Saturday, a week from today.