RedBlacks 27 - Lions 16 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Get used to it...the problems that the Lions display, OLine, DLine and some coaching can't be solved in a week. The Lions possess a vet QB who hasn't played much in 2 years, so he has to find his game, and its tough without a running game, and its tough to have a running game if you are losing the battle at the LOS. As for Defence, weak DLine was NOT addressed seriously in the offseason and Mark Washington did nothing to help them. As I emphatically stated at the end of last year, Mark Washington cheats with his LBs to achieve success in the pass defence game, teams have figured out what he's doing and where these Lions are vulnerable. I say ZERO change in Washington who promised Lion's fans that he had learned his lesson...in game one he demonstrated that nothing was learned.

The good news is that Telford knows what he is doing but man does he have a lot to change before things get better...Malone will get that OLine going, but Lulay has to hit those open targets! And Tedford is going to have to get involved with both the Sts and DEF where the coaching still doesn't look up to par...changes need to be made and Tedford is the one who needs to enforce them...its his team!
Well said, MLF. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I say that not so much to be an apologist as I do to be a realist. Walking in the door, as a Head Coach, there's only so much you can change at once and, as a result, you're going to start with what you know best, which is offense.

Wally didn't blow everyone out overnight when he got here. He fixed the worst of what was wrong, then brought in and moved out the infrastructure that needed change after 2003. I would expect that if things don't improve in the other two facets of the game, there will be change there as well, but you're likely still going to see some of the same on Defense and Special Teams...for this season anyway.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:Rome wasn't built in a day.

I say that not so much to be an apologist as I do to be a realist. Walking in the door, as a Head Coach, there's only so much you can change at once and, as a result, you're going to start with what you know best, which is offense.

Wally didn't blow everyone out overnight when he got here. He fixed the worst of what was wrong, then brought in and moved out the infrastructure that needed change after 2003. I would expect that if things don't improve in the other two facets of the game, there will be change there as well, but you're likely still going to see some of the same on Defense and Special Teams...for this season anyway.

Rome wasn't built in a year either, just saying. Realistically the Lions need some infusion of new players on the DL in order to be competitive. Isn't Taylor a FA currently? It is tough when my outlook is to hope that the Lions continue their playoff streak by beating out three teams to do so. Wally striped Tedford of any real chance of being competitive when he had zero backup for his DL and ST players that he released. Combine that with a soft OL to build from and Tedford getting reintroduced to the CFL, you have to wonder how long it took to build Rome.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:

Rome wasn't built in a year either, just saying. Realistically the Lions need some infusion of new players on the DL in order to be competitive. Isn't Taylor a FA currently? It is tough when my outlook is to hope that the Lions continue their playoff streak by beating out three teams to do so. Wally striped Tedford of any real chance of being competitive when he had zero backup for his DL and ST players that he released. Combine that with a soft OL to build from and Tedford getting reintroduced to the CFL, you have to wonder how long it took to build Rome.
Let's settle this. Apparently 1,009,491 days.

http://www.quora.com/How-many-days-did- ... build-Rome
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
Rammer wrote:

Let's settle this. Apparently 1,009,491 days.

http://www.quora.com/How-many-days-did- ... build-Rome
Oh no, it is going to be a long long rebuild. Bombers may be taking the building of Rome route. :)

Honestly teams in the CFL go from out of the playoffs one year, to the GC game. But during that year of struggle, some good young pieces have to fall into place at key positions, QB being high on that list. Lions didn't have a stellar FA signing list this past off season, that combined with their aging vets released has forced them to make up a couple of steps this season. Lulay healthy should help out, but an injury to him and the Lions will have to find the next one, and until that time happens it won't be as nice as it has been in the Wally era.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not sure these decisions are all on Wally as Tedford was calling the in or out on these guys based on film.

He's brought in players who already buy fully in to his ways and that is essential as some of his ways aren't what's done in the pros (from the media reports).

The culture and performance expectations have to be right. One sign is team discipline. I don't see that yet as there are too many penalties. Too many free riders on the DEF relying on the CFLs best LB duo - it seems. Phillips hurt is bad too but he didn't have his best game either and contributed to woeful tackling.

STs should have been addressed better in camp.

Compare the Lions to the Als this past week. It was pretty clear as it was with OTT that every played played every down fully. I didn't feel that with the Lions REC corp compared to others.

Als have guys like Nik Lewis who don't have players around them dare to take a down off as they aren't the primary or even secondary. I don't see that in the Lions offense this season nor have I seen it (other than by Travis' high risk running and play - things I am glad he is showing he won't do this year) for some time.

Our REC corps as a group I'd trade for the OTT or Als team straight up. Now that is on a slim body of evidence - one game only.

Patience is the key in the fan base but it's not going to be helpful if they can't get wins early and ticket sales which are a struggle in the summer aren't happening past the Riders game.

The good news is when I'm back in OCT, I'll have no trouble getting tickets.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy