CFL Games of Week 2 -- July 2 - July 5

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ottawa defeats Montreal. Shocker.

Calgary beats Hamilton by a whisker. As Yogi Berra said: "Deja vu all over again." :wink:

Argos beat Eskimos. Sweet music. Humble pie for the ferocious one, Chris Jones. I am a fan of Scott Milanovich as a coach. Can he develop a quarterback? Harris ... 24/27, 347 yards, 3 Tds, 0 Ints. I will say that Milanovich had something to do with it.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I feel bad for Hamilton. They led most of the way but just couldn't close it out, despite five Calgary turnovers.

Toronto looks strong on both sides of the ball. They dominated the Esks physically and didn't let Mile Reilly get any consistent offence. I hope for Reilly's sake that his knee injury isn't as bad as it looked. He has had his share of bad breaks.

Darian Durant has just been carted off the field in Regina. Kevin Glenn is warming up. Perhaps the first week bye is good for the Lions to keep their starting QB healthy heading into Week 2.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rough opening weekend for quarterbacks. Mike Reilly injured his left leg.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

And the Bombers win.

Drew Willy ... Wowsuh, Yowsuh
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
D. WILLY 22/25 325 3 0
No sacks for Bombers. Dorazio might be doing something right. Nice angle blocking on Messam's TD run. Reminded me of Joe Smith behind our O Line.

3 upsets, it seems to me. RBs. Argos. Bombers.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Darian Durant carted off the field with what appears to be a serious leg injury on an innocent looking play. He wasn't even touched when the injury happened.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Riders have confirmed that Durant is done for the season with a ruptured Achilles tendon.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Umm can the Lions just start Jennings next Saturday and have Travis come off the bench until they have a better grasp of the RedBlacks pass rush and blitz packages?

What a devastating weekend for the league. To have 3 starting QBs go down in 4 games is shocking. One gone for the season and finger's crossed it's not to the same extent for Reilly.

It's going to impact the overall product as we know very well in BC. It's the last thing the league needs right now after the entertainment value last year was lacking in many games. The good news for the Riders is they have a far better o-line to protect Glenn compared to last season with the Lions and Chapdelaine is used to working with a number of QBs during his time here.
VictoriaFan
Starter

Dave Stala was doing all the kicking duties for Toronto also, wonder if Mcallum likes the colour blue?
BC 1988
Legend

VictoriaFan wrote:Dave Stala was doing all the kicking duties for Toronto also, wonder if Mcallum likes the colour blue?
Waters sustained what is described as a quadricep injury late in the first half. It's funny he was also injured (but it was groin that time) in the season opener in 2013.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/201 ... aters.html

The problem with McCallum is he can't hit the range that the Argos are accustomed to receiving from Waters, so not sure if he'd be their first call if Waters is out for an extended period of time.
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Rough opening weekend for quarterbacks. Mike Reilly injured his left leg.
Reilly had been receiving treatment on the sidelines in the 2nd quarter (I thought I heard the commentary say he was being fitted with a knee brace.) Then he was obviously the worse for wear after a sack in the 3rd quarter. The 4th quarter hit (that one may have a fine coming) finished the job.

Honestly, you can admire Reilly's competitive nature, but at the same time he's his own worst enemy. He has a pattern of insisting on playing when he should be taken off to prevent more serious injury. I'm sure it isn't coaching telling him to go back out there.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Riders have confirmed that Durant is done for the season with a ruptured Achilles tendon.
Potentially sets up an interesting storyline whereby Lions fans could get to see plenty of last year's principal starting QB Kevin Glenn right away in the home opener on July 10, returning with a key rival not as a backup but rather the starter. And again the following week in Ssk to finish a home-and-home.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

Some thoughts from this past week's games:

* Calgary had no business winning their game. 3 pics on Bo Levi and Calgary's vaunted O-line was twice stuffed on 3rd and short. Their only lead came with no time left on the clock. What do they put on horses' hooves again??

* Forget hooves, the one who should be wearing "goat horns" (and remarkably, no one mentioned this on the telecast) is Ti-Cat kicker Medlock. Had a chance to nail the Stamps deep in their zone with a punt with time running down, but hit it too hard and the ball went in the end-zone for a useless rouge. Stamps take possession on the 35 in stead of their own 5 or 10.

* Prior to getting hurt, Reilly and the Eskimo offense looked very rusty. Guess that's what Chris Jones gets for putting him in for 2 series all preseason.

* Not sure yet if Dorazio is the genius everyone claimed while he was in BC, or just working with a much more talented offensive line, but the Rider line looked air tight. Can't say much about their linebackers though.

* I don't think we'll be seeing a game again in Fort McMurray. At least not in the regular season. 4,900 fans? It was an odd sight to watch pros playing a meaningful game in front of a US high school crowd.

* The best coach in the CFL is not John Hufnagel. It's Scott Milanovich. He does the most with the least, but now it looks like he's got some good talent to work with.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Mike Reilly is out indefinitely.
aklawitter
All Star

David wrote:* I don't think we'll be seeing a game again in Fort McMurray. At least not in the regular season. 4,900 fans? It was an odd sight to watch pros playing a meaningful game in front of a US high school crowd.
end zone tickets were $50, "sideline" tickets were $100

and you thought UBC-alooza was expensive
CardiacKid
Legend

I was totally surprised how flat the Eskimos looked and how good the Argos performed. If the Argo keep playing like this with Harris at QB and all their new faces, I think Scott Miilanovich is a shoe-in for coach of the year. The fact the Argo are above .500 when Ricky Ray is out of the lineup, confirms he preps his team and confirms the need to keep and groom a viable backup at QB. It isn't enough to simply recruit a guy bursting with talent (Tino Sunseri, Seth Doege anyone?) you have to invest some time into their development. Hopefully Jennings will get that chance based on his potential.

But yes, the Eskies didn't seem to have any fire in their gut or play with anything resembling urgency. I would have bet that any team coached by Chris Jones would at least bring intensity and agressiveness onto the field.

The Bombers-Riders game was great to watch; very entertaining. However I don't know if it can be treated as a barometer of either team. I was surprised at how well the Bombers ran the ball...Paris Cotton is obviously a shifty guy but I didn't think their O-Line would be as successful as they were. But was that a reflection of the Rider's D-Line and Shea Emry's injury?

Kevin Glenn did a decent job filling in and Messam looks to be a force this year based on his performance. But again, the Bombers d-line looks to have the same problems as last year with stopping the run; I don't think you can measure the true effectiveness of a running game or O-Line play against the Bombers defensive unit. I think the Dorazio critics will have to wait a few games to see how his coaching prepares the Riders' O-line against quality opposition.