Lions at Ottawa July 4 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Yes, it's early for a game thread but this seems like an appropriate place to discuss the sobering news out of Montreal after their loss to the Redblacks in the season opener. According to David Naylor of TSN, Montreal QBs Jonathan Crompton and Dan LeFevour both suffered serious shoulder injuries against Ottawa's fierce pass rush. LeFevour is likely done for the season. Given Travis Lulay's history, the Lions had better take extra care to keep him upright.
David William Naylor
‏@TSNDaveNaylor Mtl QB J.Crompton separated shoulder, day-to-day, unlikely for next week. QB Dan LeFevour dislocated shoulder, likely done for season.#Als
David
Team Captain

I think Ottawa's performance last night definitely got the Lions' attention. They are a fast moving, hard-hitting defense. We just can't have any protection busts where Travis is blind-sided, 'cause it won't be pretty. That is one thing that scares me with Shaq - I doubt he blocks as well as Andrew. Hopefully our tight end(s) will provide some good protection against blitzing teams.

As for Montreal, they still have Tanner Marsh, who's currently - you guessed it - injured, and one other QB on the PR. Still, I wonder if Travis Partridge will get the call for depth? He definitely showed well there in the ESF.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rodu
Champion

The league really needs one more team, starting the season on a bye week is balls
dpoe
Starter

The Lions have a huge opportunity to jump ahead of the Esks and RIders in the standings early as a result of these teams' unfortunate injuries to key players. I'm sure that this is not lost on any of them and that they use this as motivation and that we see this right from the opening kickoff in Ottawa. Lions' D is solid, they have what looks to be dependable receivers, an improved O Line, an excellent QB and a no-nonsense coaching staff. I for one am very optimistic about this season.!
MexicoLionFan
Legend

OTT gave the Lions fits last year, and after watching their season opener, they are a MUCH better football team. You are quite right to point out the concern over Lulay's health this coming week...the Lion's OLine has NEW people in new positions all over the line, which will naturally lead to miscommunications for a while. Tedford will need to design a game plan that purposefully protects Lulay or I don't think he will make it through the game. I honestly don't see the Lions beating OTT on the road.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There are no surprises in the Lions' depth chart for the Ottawa game. The starters are the same as in the final preseason game at Thunderbird two weeks ago except for Bryan Burnham starting for the injured Courtney Taylor at SB and Craig Roh starting for the injured Zach Minter at DT. Taylor will be one scratch. The other will have to be another international backup.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Game day, baby. I have no idea what's going to happen. Just two words of advice: Go Lions!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

What to expect from the Lions? Dunno ...

Could be great. Could be a shambles,. We saw little of note in preseason. But I think Jeff Tedford is the real deal. It might take some time. Or we could come out flying. Who knows?

But Ottawa looks like a serious team to face.

Looking forward to the game. As BCFAN notes, "Go, Lions."
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:What to expect from the Lions? Dunno ...

Could be great. Could be a shambles,. We saw little of note in preseason. But I think Jeff Tedford is the real deal. It might take some time. Or we could come out flying. Who Knows?

Tell me your order of preference for first game opponents? It is going to be an interesting day, but if Lulay can perform a full 60 then I like the Lions chances. Where we begin the season isn't as important as to how we finish the season, so while I won't be happy, I can stand a loss as long as it looks like the Lions are prepared.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:What to expect from the Lions? Dunno ...

Could be great. Could be a shambles,. We saw little of note in preseason. But I think Jeff Tedford is the real deal. It might take some time. Or we could come out flying. Who Knows?

Tell me your order of preference for first game opponents? It is going to be an interesting day, but if Lulay can perform a full 60 then I like the Lions chances. Where we begin the season isn't as important as to how we finish the season, so while I won't be happy, I can stand a loss as long as it looks like the Lions are prepared.
Hey Rammer,

No preference re first opponent. Who is the weak sister in the league? Is it us? If we play vanilla defence, it might be.

For sure we have a chance. Many unknowns of course. Many, many changes. But good teams absorb the changes.

Jeff Tedford could be a revelation in this league. Or we might find the transition to the CFL is not so easy. Add Tom Higgins to the list of outstanding coaches in the league. Oh yeah, and he has even won a Grey Cup, back in 2003. The much respected Hufnagel loses one. The most capable, but oftentimes underappreciated, Kent Austin loses one in week one. Milanovich has some new fans. Many very good coaches out there. As a fan of the CFL, I love it. As a long time fan of the Lions, I see the challenges we face.

Let's see what happens.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This Lions team was rebuilt in the offseason. The starting lineup bears little resemblance to the one that finished the 2014 season but is almost identical to the one that lined up on the first day of training camp.

Comparing depth charts for the 2015 season opener vs. the 2014 Eastern Semifinal, the Lions have new starters at 16 of 24 positions on offence and defence or 13 new starters overall (Parks, Gore and Arceneaux have changed positions) or 11 new starters if you don't count Lulay and Harris as new since they were injured in 2014 and missed the end of the season.

However, only six of the new starters in 2015 were not with the team in 2014: Rwabukamba, Brooks and Roh on defence and Foster, Draheim and Morrah on offence. I didn't count Collie since he's the fifth receiver, and is usually on the field only when Lumbala goes out. Four of those six new starters play in the trenches, which is where the roster has undergone the biggest overhaul.

Aside from injuries to Matt Norman, Hunter Steward, Courtney Taylor and Zach Minter that forced changes to the roster, only two opening-day starters won their jobs in training camp: T-Dre Player beat out Dean Valli at RG and Michael Brooks beat out fellow rookie Tim Jackson and DT.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth chart ...

Interested to see how the D Line and the O Line play.

David
Team Captain

Two situational players could play a big role today: Collie on offense and Bazzie on defense. Not sure why I think they're going to have big games when they won't be on the field every down, but in the case of Bazzie, he got off to a really hot start last season and I expect it to continue this year. On special teams, I am expecting Shaquille Murray-Lawrence to be their ST player of the game.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Underway with the Leone kickoff. Ott offence starts at their 32.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Very nice start for Burris and Ottawa.