Lions at Ottawa July 4 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Foster is the best they can do for an international centre? Two holding calls and he was manhandled on the 3rd down gamble. Atrocious.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Anyone else puzzled by the measurement before we turned it over? Yeah it helped (or should have helped) us but I thought they were taking that stuff out of the game when it's that far off.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Ottawa's defence is ferocious......
Not liking what I see from Abdul Kanneh though, he looks like he targets heads and wants to injure guys. Dan Lefevour was right to be pissed last week.
Agreed. Nasty looking player.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ottawa's win equals the their total of last year.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Washington's defence lit up for nearly 400 yards tonight. Massive concern going back to what happened down the stretch last season.
CardiacKid
Legend

Well.......
I was surprised we didn't see more aggressive play calling. With everything that is new about the team this year and how last year left such a sour taste in our collective mouths (fans and the team itself), I would have expected the coaching staff to really put their stamp on the game with some creative and aggressive calls. Essentially attempt to "manufacture runs" (like the Buck Rodgers-led St. Louis Cardinals)
Positives in my eyes.....the solid play of Lulay and staying in one piece back in Ottawa. Especially with how Ottawa took out 2 QBs last week. The Manny Show and Austin Collie looked good. Chris Rwabukamba looks to be an upgrade at Safety and lets see more of Shaq Murray-Lawrence on the returns. Leone made his field goals.

Not so hot...penalties but all teams are struggling with that right now. The inability of the defence to impose themselves and in particular some sloppy tackling; Brad Sinopoli is not the kind of guy who should be described as slippery. Anybody have the cell# of Demonte Bolden's agent?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Ottawa D did not lose much with the loss of Jasper Simmons, and ST have improved.

The offence is light years better.

BC will bounce back next week. The Greenwhites are ripe for the picking.
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:It's done but some positives. Good learning for the new HC and better than I expected in parts of the game.

Late in the game, OTT was onto every play call and this put Lulay into too many forced downfield passes.

I think the OTT OFF this year was great to eat the clock up with far, far better mixing of plays.

Lions are too predictable.
Ottawa ran when they needed to kill the clock, our D isn't at a level to stop that yet. Much work is required to solidify that front 7 as a unit, much work. hen you know they are going to run you better be able to stop it or it will be a long season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

David wrote:Two situational players could play a big role today: Collie on offense and Bazzie on defense. Not sure why I think they're going to have big games when they won't be on the field every down, but in the case of Bazzie, he got off to a really hot start last season and I expect it to continue this year. On special teams, I am expecting Shaquille Murray-Lawrence to be their ST player of the game.
Got 2 of the 3 right. Had a gut feeling on Collie, Bazzie, and Murray-Lawrence. Not sure what happened to Bazzie - didn't notice him much out there (2 tackles), although he was in on one of the sacks (didn't get credit for it though).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
David wrote:Two situational players could play a big role today: Collie on offense and Bazzie on defense. Not sure why I think they're going to have big games when they won't be on the field every down, but in the case of Bazzie, he got off to a really hot start last season and I expect it to continue this year. On special teams, I am expecting Shaquille Murray-Lawrence to be their ST player of the game.
Got 2 of the 3 right. Had a gut feeling on Collie, Bazzie, and Murray-Lawrence. Not sure what happened to Bazzie - didn't notice him much out there (2 tackles), although he was in on one of the sacks (didn't get credit for it though).

DH :cool:
I've liked Collie and Murray-Lawrence since I first saw them. Bazzie had a quiet camp and wasn't noticeable on Saturday. Khreem Smith was probably the best defensive linemen on the field on Saturday, whatever that says about the team, although Westerman was also prominent.