RedBlacks and Ernest Jackson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Ernest Jackson is looking to be the dominant RedBlacks receiver; he certainly is Henry Burris' favourite target tonight. He got a TD and is looking to be on pace for a 100 yards. I wish the Lions splashed a little cash to keep him....

Who wants to bet that for the 3rd year in a row the Lions will let their best receiver go via free agency?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ottawa comes from behind for a 20-16 victory. Both Jonathan Compton and Lefevour were injured in the game.
Blitz
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:Ernest Jackson is looking to be the dominant RedBlacks receiver; he certainly is Henry Burris' favourite target tonight. He got a TD and is looking to be on pace for a 100 yards. I wish the Lions splashed a little cash to keep him....

Who wants to bet that for the 3rd year in a row the Lions will let their best receiver go via free agency?
No secret on here how I felt about Ernest Jackson from his earliest days as a Leo...tough, fearless, excellent hands, and 220 pounds of athleticism. I was frustrated that he was in and out of the lineup for too long, happy when he got his chance, and I was sad to see him and Nick Moore go too.

Moore, Taylor, and Jackson spent a fair time on the practice squad and far too long there before their times arrived. Jackson was the last of the three to get a decent shot and last year, when we moved him to slot (as Ottawa is doing) part way through the season he really got the opportunity to show his stuff.

Good to see him being an integral part of the offence in Ottawa in his first game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jackson led the Redblacks with 7 catches for 74 yards and a TD. I just saw the fourth quarter live but it was a clutch victory. Burris was 8 for 10 in the quarter and at least one of his incompletions was a drop. Burris, his receivers and RB Chevon Walker all stepped up and made plays when the game was on the line. They'll be fired up to face the Lions at home next week.

I was expecting Ottawa to challenge Montreal for third place in the East this year, and that was before the Als lost two QBs in the season opener. I don't expect ether team to make the playoffs, though.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ott still showing their penchant for trick plays that we saw last year. Twice on their TD drive to open the 2nd half they caught Mtl napping. First Anthony Alix rushes on a fake punt out of 3rd down in their own end to sustain a drive that would otherwise have been a 2 & out. Then they continue driving deep into Mtl territory and line up in FG formation on a 3rd & short, where holder and former Lion Thomas DeMarco gets under centre several seconds before the snap for a successful QB keeper. A few plays later Ernest Jackson reels in a TD catch to cut Mtl's lead to 13-11 and then they go for 2, tying it with Burris just barely breaking the plane ahead of the tackle.

With this win Ott might be a little overconfident when we visit them next week. Or so I hope. Like to see us score more than 7 points on this trip. And for Lulay to finish healthy.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I am afraid that Chevron Walker's speed is going to eat us alive and that Burris will have ages to make plays with our DLine.

As for Jackson, I think the Leo's are going to rue the day that they let him slide away.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I don't expect ether team to make the playoffs, though.
I don't expect BC to make the playoffs either, but at least Ottawa begins with a win.

Lansdowne will be tough next week, with yet another sellout for R-Nation. Jennings will have his hands full with the Ottawa D.
VictoriaFan
Starter

Although Nik Lewis looked good I kinda wish we were opening against Montreal next week!
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:
I don't expect BC to make the playoffs either, but at least Ottawa begins with a win.

Lansdowne will be tough next week, with yet another sellout for R-Nation. Jennings will have his hands full with the Ottawa D.
Is Jennings the starter? That may be the first mistake with your assessment. :) I think that the Lions will be fighting for that playoff berth alright, but Burris is too inconsistent on a team that can't afford any at the QB position. Not sure that Ottawa was going to win this game without the Als QB's going down, that certainly seemed to spark them to the win.

Long season ahead, and it isn't how you start, it is how you finish. Any win in the East is an advantage over the other Eastern teams, as the East looks like the weak sister once again.
Entertainment value = an all time low
squishy35
Legend

Here's hoping that Hamilton, Winnipeg and Toronto pick up wins for the rest of the games this week.... :cr:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Good for Jackson and great for the Renegades. In the first half Burris made two horrible throws into coverage to kill promising drives. It looked too familiar to last year and my thought was how could Campbell keep going with this aging mistake-prone QB as his starter for another season?

He bounced back with a much better second half but it should be noted the Als were reduced to their 3rd string QB for much of the final two quarters. Still, the RedBlacks have one the best set of receivers in the league with Jackson, Williams and Price. Their defence was solid and had held Crompton to 5-17 for just 51 yards passing in 1st half.

It will be a tough test for BC out of the gate especially if Washington's defence is going to rush just 4 and give Burris time.
BC 1988
Legend

^^ This.
The first half was the "Bad Henry" Burris we saw most of last season. Then the "Good Henry" appeared in the second half.

A stupid undisciplined MTL "I'm eating you up" taunting penalty kept the winning drive going in the 4th quarter.

The hit that took out LeFevour (sounds like it's a dislocated shoulder of his non throwing arm) was described as borderline high but there was no flag. Crompton took a couple of hard hits (his injuries were described as a "bruised shoulder") before he was knocked out of the game. He suited up again later in the second half in case he was needed to go back in.

All I can say is OTT will be ready to go after Travis next week. Our O-line better be ready.
green road kill
Rookie

I hate to throw a little sunshine on all this happy gloom but there is something we should remember, we ain't that bad a team. Who carres about what we saw in pre season

Pre season games don't mean diddley, they are for the coaches to get the vets ready to play, and to checkout the rookies . If you listen to all the pre season hype and

hoopla Monteal's D should have won that game by 20 points.

What I have seen so far of Tedford I like alot. He is prue football, prue buisness, and I don't think he will put up with any crap from players or coaches. A little

dictatorship is just what this team needs.

We have good players and good coaches and I have no dought that Tedford will have this team ready to play.With over a week to game plan and prep for the Ottawa

game I bet you dollars to donuts that the lions look nothing like we saw in pre season.

Lets just get one game in before we reach fore the head baggies.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While Wally got it right in not pursuing Dan LeFevour as he was hurt last year and with this dislocation could be done for the entire season. Hamilton got it right in letting him get away. I had thought MTL would be a formidable opponent with him at QB eventually.

Als got a QB coach but their best QB coach is coaching Receivers. I think they call it hubris on the coaches that they think AC isn't their best QB coach. Funny though they had Jeff Garcia there last year.

I don't think dictatorships work in pro football teams with either players or coaches or they will eventually collectively and imperceptibly dial down their collective efforts and reward the tyrant HC with a few too many L's and rid themselves that way.

We saw how the Lions OL coach got results eventually from players when they refused to run the ball and the OL couldn't protect. When players spoke up they became "uncoachable" and guys like Valli told the media that the opponents knew they were passing on every down and sent the house at them.

It remains to be seen how good this team is talent wise and if it gels well and if the culture Tedford is building will collapse if they lose their starting QB.

As to Jackson - it's good for the CFL not to have teams at 2 and 16 but all more competitive. Bombers and RedBlacks must improve as the Argos can't get a break with the crowds irrespective of their team play. You can't keep thriving if 3 of them suck.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Solar Max wrote:

Is Jennings the starter? That may be the first mistake with your assessment. :) I think that the Lions will be fighting for that playoff berth alright, but Burris is too inconsistent on a team that can't afford any at the QB position. Not sure that Ottawa was going to win this game without the Als QB's going down, that certainly seemed to spark them to the win.

Long season ahead, and it isn't how you start, it is how you finish. Any win in the East is an advantage over the other Eastern teams, as the East looks like the weak sister once again.
Now Rammer, you don't really believe that fairy tale about the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and Travis Lulay playing QB do you? Because virtually zero fans of other teams do.

I am liking that you brush off the Redblacks as you do. Arrogance has its weaknesses. :beer:
BC 1988 wrote:
All I can say is OTT will be ready to go after Travis next week.
Coach Nelson has already said as much. Just like last year at Lansdowne.