2015 standings prediction

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's the season for making predictions, so here's my prediction for the final 2015 standings:

WEST
Calgary 13-5
Edmonton 12-6
Saskatchewan 10-8
B.C. 9-9
Winnipeg 6-12

EAST
Hamilton 11-7
Toronto 9-9
Montreal 6-12
Ottawa 5-13
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:It's the season for making predictions, so here's my prediction for the final 2015 standings:

WEST
Calgary 13-5
Edmonton 12-6
Saskatchewan 10-8
B.C. 9-9
Winnipeg 6-12

EAST
Hamilton 11-7
Toronto 9-9
Montreal 6-12
Ottawa 5-13
I'm not prepared yet to make a prediction on the won loss records of CFL teams but willing to take a chance at the regular season standings.

WEST

Edmonton
Calgary
B.C.
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg

EAST

Hamilton
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto

I believe Edmonton is ready to make the jump to first place in the West. They're hungry, they have good quarterbacking and Jones, in his second season will make Edmonton's defence that much tougher.

In Calgary, it's not an easy decision to place the Stamps second, based upon past performance, an excellent coaching staff and Jon Cornish. But in Hufnagel's last season as HC with the Stamps, it will be more difficult for the Stamps to keep that edge.

B.C. has made a lot of chagnes, both in terms of coaching and personell. Lulay being able to play a full season or close to one is still a question mark. However, we had a very good defence last season and our offence should be better with Tedford, Cortez, and Malone all making contributions. Its a risky prediction but I'm willing to stick my neck out and make it.

I chose the Riders for fourth place. Its still a very good team but it will take time to adapt to a new offence and my hope is that the "Dorazio Dilemma", with two new offensive lineman, will enable our Leos to sneak past them for a playoff spot.

Winnipeg has improved in a lot of areas and could be a sleeper. However, they may need one more season before they are ready to become a more consistent winner.

East

Hamilton is still the most talented team in the East and are both confident and hungry after last season's Grey Cup loss.

Ottawa has made significant improvements in their secon season. If Burris can get the job done, Ottawa could have a very good season.

Montreal has a very good defence and they should be able to ride it into the playoffs.

Toronto will be without Ricky Ray to start the season and appear to be sliding.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
squishy35
Legend

East:
Montreal
Hamilton
Toronto
Ottawa

West:
Calgary
BC
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan

BC will be a lot more potent on offence than expected. They may come slow out of the gate but I see a lot of problems for opposing defences once the offensive system is clarified. As for the Riders, With Dorazio and Chapdelaine's offensive system, Durant will be in tough to be healthy to start for an entire season. Winnipeg and Edmonton are interchangeable due to my questioning the depth of Edmonton's offensive backfield and Winnipeg's receiving corps....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:It's the season for making predictions, so here's my prediction for the final 2015 standings:

WEST
Calgary 13-5
Edmonton 12-6
Saskatchewan 10-8
B.C. 9-9
Winnipeg 6-12

EAST
Hamilton 11-7
Toronto 9-9
Montreal 6-12
Ottawa 5-13
This is about how I would stack them up. Ottawa maybe a bit lower in wins, Montreal maybe a bit higher in wins.

Not sure what is happening in Regina. Not sure about Chamblin or Taman anymore. And there is the Dorazio Factor.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WEST
Calgary 13-5
Edmonton 12-6
Saskatchewan 10-8
B.C. 9-9
Winnipeg 6-12

EAST
Hamilton 11-7
Toronto 9-9
Montreal 6-12
Ottawa 5-13
I like your order in the West, but don't see TO ahead of Montreal in the East. I am also not sure that BC is a 500 team, just not enough strength in the trenches or ST play. I think that an 8 - 10 season for the Lions would be good, so give that win to the Bombers and the West looks about right.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Qman
Champion

West:
CGY 15-3
BC 10-8
EDM 10-8
WPG 7-11
SSK 6-12

East:
HAM 14-4
TOR 10-8
MTL 7-11
OTT 2-16
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I would guess that the status of kackert would affect how well the argos do quite a bit. If he can come back and play most of the season at at least 90% of his past best, then I might suggest argos at 2nd, but if not, then no better than third and maybe not even.

lots of homer pick I see. Realistically, I cant see the lions higher than 4th.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Qman
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:I would guess that the status of kackert would affect how well the argos do quite a bit. If he can come back and play most of the season at at least 90% of his past best, then I might suggest argos at 2nd, but if not, then no better than third and maybe not even.

lots of homer pick I see. Realistically, I cant see the lions higher than 4th.
kackert is irrelevant, if he even is activated sometime down the road. they have greatly improved there receiving core and defense. harris is good enough until ray is back.

edmonton's defence is a train wreck with the new rules.
winnipeg still sucks.
saskatchewan has lost alot of guys over past couple years.
The_Pauser
Legend

Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg
BC

Hamilton
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Lions have a inexperienced and rookie laden lineup.

Playing with Olafioye on the O line are a rookie centre and tackle and 2 inexperienced guards.

A rookie H back.

A rookie K/P

A rookie KR

2 rookie DTs (I wish they would rehire Taylor.)

Lots of rookie and new guy backups.

I predict a 4th or 5th place finish for the Lions due to what will be imo a very poor start but a stronger finish than last year.

With the way CFL teams juggle rosters from year to year, I need to watch a few real games before making any other team predictions.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

DanoT wrote:The Lions have a inexperienced and rookie laden lineup.

Playing with Olafioye on the O line are a rookie centre and tackle and 2 inexperienced guards.

A rookie H back.

A rookie K/P

A rookie KR

2 rookie DTs (I wish they would rehire Taylor.)

Lots of rookie and new guy backups.

I predict a 4th or 5th place finish for the Lions due to what will be imo a very poor start but a stronger finish than last year.

With the way CFL teams juggle rosters from year to year, I need to watch a few real games before making any other team predictions.

I agree...as I said before, hiring Tedford was the right move, however, it is going to take some time to find the right personnel who will execute his new systems and consistently make plays. To that end the Lions could be 3-6 at the half way point. I would hazard to guess that at least a third of this roster won't be here after the NFL cuts are announced.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
JohnHenry
Champion

I don't see why Edmonton would be ranked above B.C? Reilly hasn't proven he's a first-line QB yet and is only effective when he scrambles. That can only take a QB so far in the CFL. He needs to stay in the pocket and find his receivers downfield. He hasn't proven he can do that yet. I'd take the Lions offence sight unseen over the Esks. Travis is head and shoulders better than any QB in Edm...ditto our receiving corp, RB and coaches. The question is can Jones' aggresive defence adapt to the "no-touch" rule?

The Lions are right up there with Sask and Edm. There's no guarantee the Stamps will dominate either, they could easily drop down a peg or two. The Bombers might surprise and win 8 games but I doubt it. And let's not forget about the Lions secret weapons they will unleash on an unsuspecting league for the regular season. :wink:

Lions 11-7
Stamps 11-7
Riders 10-8
Esks 9-9
Bombers 7-11

Argos 10-8
Ticats 10-8
Als 7-11
RB's 6-12

:roar:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnHenry wrote:I don't see why Edmonton would be ranked above B.C? Reilly hasn't proven he's a first-line QB yet and is only effective when he scrambles. That can only take a QB so far in the CFL. He needs to stay in the pocket and find his receivers downfield. He hasn't proven he can do that yet. I'd take the Lions offence sight unseen over the Esks. Travis is head and shoulders better than any QB in Edm...ditto our receiving corp, RB and coaches. The question is can Jones' aggresive defence adapt to the "no-touch" rule?

The Lions are right up there with Sask and Edm. There's no guarantee the Stamps will dominate either, they could easily drop down a peg or two. The Bombers might surprise and win 8 games but I doubt it. And let's not forget about the Lions secret weapons they will unleash on an unsuspecting league for the regular season. :wink:

Lions 11-7
Stamps 11-7
Riders 10-8
Esks 9-9
Bombers 7-11

Argos 10-8
Ticats 10-8
Als 7-11
RB's 6-12

I can't say that I agree with your assessment of Reilly at all. And don't tell Doug Flutie that you can't have success scrambling and must stay in the pocket to have success in the CFL.

Lulay is at his best when he rolls out but ironically when Chapedelaine was OC he liked a pocket passing QB and didn't fully utilize his QBs best assets.
BC 1988
Legend

East:
Hamilton
Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa

West:
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
BC
Winnipeg

Pretty much the same standings as 2014, and a good chance of the Lions being a crossover again. BC will only go as far as Travis is able to play. I think the long grind of the season will impact on him, unless they are very careful to constantly reassess and limit his playing time if necessary.

Calgary will be the class of the league again.

I hope I'm being too pessimistic, though.
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I don't see why Edmonton would be ranked above B.C? Reilly hasn't proven he's a first-line QB yet and is only effective when he scrambles. That can only take a QB so far in the CFL. He needs to stay in the pocket and find his receivers downfield. He hasn't proven he can do that yet. I'd take the Lions offence sight unseen over the Esks. Travis is head and shoulders better than any QB in Edm...ditto our receiving corp, RB and coaches. The question is can Jones' aggresive defence adapt to the "no-touch" rule?

Lions 11-7
Stamps 11-7
Riders 10-8
Esks 9-9
Bombers 7-11

Argos 10-8
Ticats 10-8
Als 7-11
RB's 6-12

If Reilly had stayed healthy last year, he would have won the MOP award. Reilly is an elite QB in this league and certainly is far above the CFL's Top 50 first selection of Bo Levi Mitchell. Esks now look to have some credible backups behind Reilly, which should allow him to move the sticks with his legs again this season. Watch out for the Esks I say, if anyone is going to overtake the Stamps, it will be the Esks.
Entertainment value = an all time low