2015 standings prediction

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I see B.C. fans predicting that the Lions will finish anywhere from first to fifth. I've seen the same range of predictions elsewhere. It's that kind of season. Fourth seems to be the most popular pick so far but having a healthy Travis Lulay for most of the season would raise expectations.
dupsdell1
Champion

If Lulay Stays Healthy I say 3rd or 2nd place if not they will not even make the playoffs no quarterbacking
green road kill
Rookie

The ownly prediction I have, is I don't have one. The main thing to remember about pre season is, that it's just that pre season.The games are fore the coaches to A,

get the starters ready to play B,evaluate the rookies brought to camp. The two pre season games under Tedford were primetime examples of , let them see nothing ,

show nothing , let them know nothing. We play in two weeks and the RED BLACKS have absolutely no idea about how we are going to run our O AND D, big bonous

LIONS.

Ido believe that with a full package , the Lion D will be faster and stronger up front than people think. The same can said fore the offence we have a game plan that

nobody has seen, the HBACK offence let them figure it out ( While getting there buts kicked ).

Lullay is the main cog ,playing and healthy nobody can messure what he brings to the team.

The season is just starting and If Ihad to make a prediction ( YA I'LL GO WITH IT ) FIRST
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

green road kill wrote:The ownly prediction I have, is I don't have one. The main thing to remember about pre season is, that it's just that pre season.The games are fore the coaches to A,

get the starters ready to play B,evaluate the rookies brought to camp. The two pre season games under Tedford were primetime examples of , let them see nothing ,

show nothing , let them know nothing. We play in two weeks and the RED BLACKS have absolutely no idea about how we are going to run our O AND D, big bonous

LIONS.

Ido believe that with a full package , the Lion D will be faster and stronger up front than people think. The same can said fore the offence we have a game plan that

nobody has seen, the HBACK offence let them figure it out ( While getting there buts kicked ).

Lullay is the main cog ,playing and healthy nobody can messure what he brings to the team.

The season is just starting and If Ihad to make a prediction ( YA I'LL GO WITH IT ) FIRST

Spell Check
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Chamblin and Taman clean house ... massive turnover in the coaching staff.

Or is that Durant calling the shots?

Missing from the list is Doug Malone. We will happily make that trade.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: Fourth seems to be the most popular pick so far
Ooh! This is the per-fect plan.

We rock the crossover.

:yahoo:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: Fourth seems to be the most popular pick so far
Ooh! This is the per-fect plan.

We rock the crossover.

:yahoo:
In Soviet Canada, crossover rock YOU!
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blitz
Team Captain

The biggest question west of the Rockies is whether the Lions’ 18-year run of securing a playoff spot is going to end this year. Many experts are picking B.C. to finish behind even Winnipeg in the West Division, meaning the crossover rule won’t be enough to save them. That could spark even bigger changes than those already witnessed since Mike Benevides was last seen on the sidelines. Lowell Ullrich, Vancouver Province
Its interesting that most so called football experts as well as most Lionbackers are predicting that our Leos will not make the playoffs. An article in CFL.ca has our Leos finishing in 5th place.

A second theme predicts that our season mainly rests upon the shoulder of Travis Lulay and his ability to be able to play for most of the season without injury.

I am looking at things differently. While the CFl is a quarterback driven league and the quarterback position is the most important position on a football team, I don't see our season mainly resting on the shoulders (or shoulder) of Travis Lulay.

Similar scenarios have been with us before. In 2004, Dickenson was injured in our first three games and was out for almost the rest of the season and a backup quarterback in Casey Printers, with only four pro game reps prior to that season led us to a very successful regular season and a MOP award. In 2007, Jarious Jackson, our third string quarterback who had never started a CFL game, became our starter when both Dickenson and Pierce went down and he helped lead us to a 9-2 record the rest of the way.

In 2011, Travis Lulay, who started some games for us in 2010, in replacing Casey Printers, but had been less than impressive, with an 84.9 quarterback efficiency average, emerged in 2011, after a slow start, to go on to win the MOP and lead us to a Grey Cup victory.

To me, more important than Travis Lulay this season is our ability to protect our quarterback (any quarterback), to get our offensive line to not only pass protect better but also to be able to open up some holes for the run more consistently, and for our new offensive system to gel without taking too long to do so are more imporrant.

Defensively, we have an outstanding linebacking group that has only gotten better this year and we have a very good defensive backfield. However, neither will be significant, in terms of our success unless we can get more consistent pressure on the quarterback. If we can, it would be huge in giving us an opportunity to make the playoffs.

I chose us for 3rd place and that choice was made whether Lulay was at the controls or not. Most don't think that we'll make the playoffs and it would have been a safer bet to make the same choice.

I may be too optimistic but there are a lot of changes in Riderland, incuding a lot of coaching changes and the Bombers, while improving, have to create a winning culture. Both scenarios give us a good shot at a playoff spot if we can get good offensive and defensive line play. I think both of those areas are the most important keys as to whether we make the playoffs more than any other scenarios.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I agree with Blitz that the key to success is the play of the D and O lines. The problem is that these are the two weakest areas for the Lions, with the most rookie starters. So that is why I am predicting a worse record than last year, but over all a better team because no one is a rookie after Labour Day.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

We might make the playoffs, but it's going to be close. Can't argue with the very first prediction in this thread.

In this league, now more than ever, you go as far as your QB can take you.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

West Division

Stampeders 15-3 (That's the same record as a year ago for the champs. They will at least match it with Mitchell a year older and if Cornish stays healthy the entire season. Their o-line development in recent years has been remarkable.)

Eskimos 12-6 (Jones' aggresive defence is tough. Keeping Reilly healthy will at least let them be the Stamps biggest threat.)

Riders 10-8 (Could challenge the Eskimos if Chaps' offence is firing on all cylinders with a healthy Durant. Defence will have to be better than a year ago.)

Lions 8-10 (All eyes on Lulay and rightly so but my biggest concern is Mark Washington's defence which was lit up in the stretch run last year. Has defensive line' shortcomings really been addressed? If Bo Lokombo is the Lions best national defensive player then he needs to be on the field full-time. Could be a ratio buster even if it means trading one of their 2 American star LBs at some point for help elsewhere.)

Bombers 7-11 (Still a work in progress to remain slightly behind Lions).

East
Hamilton 13-5
Montreal 11-7
Toronto 10-8
Ottawa 5-13
dupsdell1
Champion

ok here are my predictions and sticking with it

WEST

1. Calgary ( too strong of a team not to finish first, QB levi Mitchell has that much more experience from last years grey cup win they are going to be unstoppable )
Attendance for the year 30,000 a game ( have heard in Calgary tone of hype this year )

2. Edmonton ( Mike Reilly will be that much more better this year , and will be out for revenge on losing the western final last year , well coached disciplined team )
attendance for the year 33,000 a game ( will have a few games in the 40,000 mark , but consistent as always )

3. Saskatchewan ( Durant and Kevin glen will be a very good 1, 2 combination as Glen has been there before, and will be much more improved this year )
attendance for the year 30,000 ( can I say more it is Saskatchewan what else is there to do )

4. BC lions Cross over ( A much more improved team , With Lulay playing 15 out of the 18 games ( as he gives his arm a rest for 3 games ) Lulay will just be average as it is going to take him 3/4 of the year to get going because of the lack of games he has played over the last year and a half, the OF line will be a little more improved than last year mostly rookies and it will take the team a while to buy into Jeff Tedford style of play . I say the lions are going to get off to a poor start of 1-3 then play 500 football in the middle of the season , win there last 4 games in a row fro a record of 10-8 .
attendance for the year 25,000 . attendance will drop a lot this year as this team will get of to a slow start then improving later on in the season . ( TIME TO SELL THE TEAM BRAILY WE NEED NEW BLOOD )

5. Winnipeg , not much better than last year , Willy will improve , but the rest of the team Not.
attendance for the year 25,000 ( a great football town even when they are not winning )

EAST

1. Hamilton , Will continue what they ended off last year to get to the grey cup buy winning all there games at home Collaros will have a excellent season with a very good fast team around him with Brandon Banks as the best kick off returner in the league , Hamilton will have something to show this year as they should have won the Grey cup last year.
attendance this year 24,000 ( sell out every home game football is huge in Hamilton right know )

2. Montreal. , A much improved team at the helm of Crompton who will become a very good QB in this League Michael Sam will not come back ( No big deal ) LeFevour and Crompton Bring a different look to the Alouettes .
attendance for the year 22,000 ( still trying to buy back the public after Calvillo retired last season )

3. Ottawa , Probably the most improved team in the league Burris will make a big comeback with all the new receivers they have this year including the speedy Chris Williams Burris will have a lot of weapons to throw too a offensive team .
not good enough for the playoffs.
attendance for this year 24,000 ( sell out every game again , especially if the red blacks show a winning way )

4. Toronto , unfourantly with Ricky Ray out the Argos do not get off the ground. and it will be too late by the time ray gets back , no quarterbacking.
will be much improved team the following year as they step into there new digs at BMO Field and say good buy to Skydome/Rodgers Centre. FINALLY
attendance for this year 16,000 ( losing team , watching football in the skydump for the last season will not help as everyone will want to get out of there )

The Cfl will have a tough season with penalties being called this year the new rules will have a effect all season long get ready for a lot of flags. A improved season for points scored , more offense and a lot of kick off returns for touchdowns this year.

I say the league will average over 7 hundread thousand ranking for TV making the CFL the second most watch Sports league behind the NHL .

Here is my playoff Prediction

eastern semi final
BC at Montreal

Bc wins 25-10

western semifinal

Sask @ Edmonton
Sask win's 25-20

Eastern Final
BC @ Hamilton

Hamilton win's 23-18

Western Final

Sask & Calgary

Calgary win's 34-18

Grey Cup

Calgary vs Hamilton

Calgary win's there second straight cup

Calgary 33 Hamilton 28
Last edited by dupsdell1 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:West Division

Stampeders 15-3 (That's the same record as a year ago for the champs. They will at least match it with Mitchell a year older and if Cornish stays healthy the entire season. Their o-line development in recent years has been remarkable.)

Eskimos 12-6 (Jones' aggresive defence is tough. Keeping Reilly healthy will at least let them be the Stamps biggest threat.)

Riders 10-8 (Could challenge the Eskimos if Chaps' offence is firing on all cylinders with a healthy Durant. Defence will have to be better than a year ago.)

Lions 8-10 (All eyes on Lulay and rightly so but my biggest concern is Mark Washington's defence which was lit up in the stretch run last year. Has defensive line' shortcomings really been addressed? If Bo Lokombo is the Lions best national defensive player then he needs to be on the field full-time. Could be a ratio buster even if it means trading one of their 2 American star LBs at some point for help elsewhere.)

Bombers 7-11 (Still a work in progress to remain slightly behind Lions).

East
Hamilton 13-5
Montreal 11-7
Toronto 10-8
Ottawa 5-13
Playing with a 3-4 D would get Lokombo on the field as the fourth LB and with only 3 on the D line it would eliminate one of the rookie DTs.
dupsdell1
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:I don't see why Edmonton would be ranked above B.C? Reilly hasn't proven he's a first-line QB yet and is only effective when he scrambles. That can only take a QB so far in the CFL. He needs to stay in the pocket and find his receivers downfield. He hasn't proven he can do that yet. I'd take the Lions offence sight unseen over the Esks. Travis is head and shoulders better than any QB in Edm...ditto our receiving corp, RB and coaches. The question is can Jones' aggresive defence adapt to the "no-touch" rule?

The Lions are right up there with Sask and Edm. There's no guarantee the Stamps will dominate either, they could easily drop down a peg or two. The Bombers might surprise and win 8 games but I doubt it. And let's not forget about the Lions secret weapons they will unleash on an unsuspecting league for the regular season. :wink:

Lions 11-7
Stamps 11-7
Riders 10-8
Esks 9-9
Bombers 7-11

Argos 10-8
Ticats 10-8
Als 7-11
RB's 6-12

:roar:

sorry can not see the lions winning first Calgary is to powerful this year is going to be a learning curve for Tedford and the lions are going to end up 4th on the cross over again playing in Montreal but Winning this time. With Lulay at QB
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Rammer wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:I don't see why Edmonton would be ranked above B.C? Reilly hasn't proven he's a first-line QB yet and is only effective when he scrambles. That can only take a QB so far in the CFL. He needs to stay in the pocket and find his receivers downfield. He hasn't proven he can do that yet. I'd take the Lions offence sight unseen over the Esks. Travis is head and shoulders better than any QB in Edm...ditto our receiving corp, RB and coaches. The question is can Jones' aggresive defence adapt to the "no-touch" rule?

The Lions are right up there with Sask and Edm. There's no guarantee the Stamps will dominate either, they could easily drop down a peg or two. The Bombers might surprise and win 8 games but I doubt it. And let's not forget about the Lions secret weapons they will unleash on an unsuspecting league for the regular season. :wink:

Lions 11-7
Stamps 11-7
Riders 10-8
Esks 9-9
Bombers 7-11

Argos 10-8
Ticats 10-8
Als 7-11
RB's 6-12

:roar:
If Reilly had stayed healthy last year, he would have won the MOP award. Reilly is an elite QB in this league and certainly is far above the CFL's Top 50 first selection of Bo Levi Mitchell. Esks now look to have some credible backups behind Reilly, which should allow him to move the sticks with his legs again this season. Watch out for the Esks I say, if anyone is going to overtake the Stamps, it will be the Esks.

I agree, there is no use denying the fact that Reilly is an elite CFL QB, not without issues, but he has the ability and character to do what Blitz predicted which is to surpass CGY for first. I think our Lions are looking at dead last for the first half of the season, and what happens after that will be up to the Coach, who should be able to have a roster he likes by then. However, if Lulay re-injures his shoulder, it could be a very, very long season.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein