cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

green road kill
Rookie

Well people looks like playtime is over , ( no more Millie Vannila ) . The pre season is over , now the shooting is fore real , I got the fealling that game prep and a

game plan fore a pre season game is not high on Tedfords bucket list.

The Dline and stopping the run looks weak ,but that is just it ,looks weak. I ownly had a raidio feed fore Fiday's game, but one thing stood out there was verry little run

support from our LB's or DB's in the first halve. The same fore the Oline on running play's verry base verry simple.Tedfords plan fore the pre season was to show nothing ,

let them see nothing , let them know nothing (at least I hope so ).

If Iam right then the game in two weeks, we could be in fore a pleasent surprise. We kept the Hbacks fore a reason ( after not useing them in pre season ) let them

figure it out.

I really don't think the Dline is as bad as it looked ,weve got some good players out there. I somehow think our rookey tackles were left to sink or swim in pre season.

Our recieving core is better than what's his face thinks. like I said we have a plan, surprise surprise surprise.

We have a solid running game, we have 3 solid Cannadians we don't need Americans.

The Oline mutch the same as the Dline

The return game ?????

QB lullay is back, looked good, lets keep him that way!!!!!!!!!

The season is just starting ,REMEMBER KNOWBODY HAS EVER WON A CUP IN PRE SEASON
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:Leone's problems with FGs in the Esks game might be attributed to lack of familiarity with his new holder.
Lack of familiarity with the holder won't be a factor. Neither kicker worked with whomever is handling that chore prior to camp. To me the potential familiarity issue could be between the new holder and the art of holding for placement. Partridge was getting most if not all those reps in camp. Beck I think handled that duty most of the time last year. Holding for FGs and converts could be a new experience for Jennings or McGhee or whomever was holding for kicks on Friday. Hence the kickers might not be getting consistent placements.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:Guys that the Lions released in the off season that ended up in other teams TCs:

Matt McGarva
Eric Taylor
Stephan Logan
Tim Brown
Jermarcus Hardrick
Andre Ramsey
Kevin Glenn
Khalif Mitchell

An unprecedented list for the Lions I'm guessing and maybe a CFL record. It looks like Logan, Brown and Glenn will stick with the Als, Stamps, and Riders.
Also Akwasi Antwi, Levasier Tuinei and Brad Randle. Ricky Schmitt had been signed by Montreal. Can't find news that he'd been released but he doesn't show on their roster anymore. Also SJ Haidara who was dealt to Hamilton also has been cut. If you include other releases such as Marsh, Larose and McCallum you have 16 names the Lions dispatched in some fashion from the final 2014 roster. Of those 16 only 5; Logan, Brown, Ramsey, Glenn and Antwi remain on another CFL roster. That would be 2 KR/backup RBs, an oft-injured INT OL, a journeyman QB and a special teams cover guy. Only Ramsey is under 30.

Addendum: Someone over on RF.com noted that Antwi's name seems to have disappeared from the Rider roster too since yesterday. That would bring the number of Lion castoffs still employed elsewhere down to 4.
I see this morning that Ramsey and Brown have been relegated to the Stamps' practice roster leaving Glenn and Logan as the only ex-2014 Lions on the 46 man roster for their respective teams.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

What I find interesting is that Wally has such a strong rep for letting vets go just before they are done that lots of other teams seem interested and willing to spend a TC spot to find out if Wally might have let a vet or two go prematurely. Also the number of vets released this year was amplified by new HC Tedford.
Blitz
Team Captain

Now that pre-season cuts have been made its interesting to see the composition of our defensive line to begin this season.

We're going with two new International defensive tackles in Minter and Brooks. Minter is big (6'0, 301 pounds), athletic, strong, and tough. Minter's athleticism is what is most intriguing. Brooks goes 275 pounds, was inconsistent in his college career, and had some knee issuesbut has potential.

Staring at defensive end is Jerome Westerman, who at 285 pounds has been converted from a defensive tackle to a defensive end. The other postiional defensive end position is occupied by the aging Khareem Smith and Alex Bazzie. In the rotation are Nationals are Menard and Ajufo. National Alex Forde and Internationals Roh and McFarland are presently on the practice roster waiting for an opportunity.

It will be interesting to see how we scheme and rotate on defense with this defensive line. I hope Forde does not get picked up by another team. He's more raw than our other National defensive lineman but he has upside.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)