cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Don't see Hamilton's cuts anywhere...not on their website, the CFL's or TSN. Wonder if they will be looking at a fine or perhaps something worse by maybe not complying with the 10pm deadline?
I see a Victoria lad, Brian Ramsay, was let go by the Eskies. He would be a good insurance policy but I am assuming it isn't possible to airlift any more bodies in at this point? Or could he (or anyone else for that matter) be placed on the injured or suspended list in a bit of roster sleight-of-hand?
I also see Gord Hinse and Marc Dile were let go.
Qman
Champion

DanoT wrote:Guys that the Lions released in the off season that ended up in other teams TCs:

Matt McGarva
Eric Taylor
Stephan Logan
Tim Brown
Jermarcus Hardrick
Andre Ramsey
Kevin Glenn
Khalif Mitchell

An unprecedented list for the Lions I'm guessing and maybe a CFL record. It looks like Logan, Brown and Glenn will stick with the Als, Stamps, and Riders.
whats ur point. most of them got cut
Qman
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:Don't see Hamilton's cuts anywhere...not on their website, the CFL's or TSN. Wonder if they will be looking at a fine or perhaps something worse by maybe not complying with the 10pm deadline?
I see a Victoria lad, Brian Ramsay, was let go by the Eskies. He would be a good insurance policy but I am assuming it isn't possible to airlift any more bodies in at this point? Or could he (or anyone else for that matter) be placed on the injured or suspended list in a bit of roster sleight-of-hand?
I also see Gord Hinse and Marc Dile were let go.
austin does this every year. they submit it to the league before 10 ... but press release it the next morning.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:The Riders just released, among others, Hugh O'Neill. As I seem to recall, isn't his punting better than his placekicking? Is it worth bringing him back here?
National FG kicker. He might be as good (or better) at FGs as the Ints we have.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:The Riders just released, among others, Hugh O'Neill. As I seem to recall, isn't his punting better than his placekicking? Is it worth bringing him back here?
Stats don't exactly provide a glowing story. After a modest 4 for 5 80% start for the Lions in 2013 O'Neill averaged only 73.8% (31 for 42) FG success over his tenure in Edmonton.

Out of curiosity re: Leone's 2 misses on Friday does anybody know who the holder was? Partridge had been doing most of the placements in training camp so they must be working in a new holder. I assume Jennings would be the most likely candidate.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Guys that the Lions released in the off season that ended up in other teams TCs:

Matt McGarva
Eric Taylor
Stephan Logan
Tim Brown
Jermarcus Hardrick
Andre Ramsey
Kevin Glenn
Khalif Mitchell

An unprecedented list for the Lions I'm guessing and maybe a CFL record. It looks like Logan, Brown and Glenn will stick with the Als, Stamps, and Riders.
Also Akwasi Antwi, Levasier Tuinei and Brad Randle. Ricky Schmitt had been signed by Montreal. Can't find news that he'd been released but he doesn't show on their roster anymore. Also SJ Haidara who was dealt to Hamilton also has been cut. If you include other releases such as Marsh, Larose and McCallum you have 16 names the Lions dispatched in some fashion from the final 2014 roster. Of those 16 only 5; Logan, Brown, Ramsey, Glenn and Antwi remain on another CFL roster. That would be 2 KR/backup RBs, an oft-injured INT OL, a journeyman QB and a special teams cover guy. Only Ramsey is under 30.

Addendum: Someone over on RF.com noted that Antwi's name seems to have disappeared from the Rider roster too since yesterday. That would bring the number of Lion castoffs still employed elsewhere down to 4.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hamilton has released S.J. Haidara. The Lions did well to trade him when they did, although neither team has anything immediately to show for it. The Lions got Hamilton's fifth-round pick, which they used on Rice DL and Houston Texans draft pick Christian Covington, and the rights to DT Andre Monroe, who was released Saturday.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Stats don't exactly provide a glowing story. After a modest 4 for 5 80% start for the Lions in 2013 O'Neill averaged only 73.8% (31 for 42) FG success over his tenure in Edmonton.

Out of curiosity re: Leone's 2 misses on Friday does anybody know who the holder was? Partridge had been doing most of the placements in training camp so they must be working in a new holder. I assume Jennings would be the most likely candidate.

73% is better than leone will be. Leone wasn't even good enough to be a first string FG kicker in college. one hell of a punter though.

I don't know what wally & Jeff were thinking with Paul, you have paul kick everything inside 45yds and then Leone be the long range guy, kickoffs and Punter. problem solved. Paul would only take the spot held by some 3rd string cdn linebacker or receiver who is never going to play.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:73% is better than leone will be. Leone wasn't even good enough to be a first string FG kicker in college. one hell of a punter though.

I don't know what wally & Jeff were thinking with Paul, you have paul kick everything inside 45yds and then Leone be the long range guy, kickoffs and Punter. problem solved. Paul would only take the spot held by some 3rd string cdn linebacker or receiver who is never going to play.
It wasn't so much Leone wasn't good enough as the fact the Cougars already had someone entrenched in the spot. Matt Hogan was the sophomore placekicker when Leone started his freshman season. Hogan took over the duties partway into his freshman year going a purrfect 12 for 12 the rest of the year. Hogan finally missed his first college FG 4 games into his sophomore season. Hogan was 26 for 29 entering his junior season and wound up 59 for 71 (83%) over his UH career. When Hogan graduated it opened the door for Leone to try his hand at FGs.

I don't like the idea of splitting duties as you suggest. How can one expect a guy to be competent or confident at FGs if you trot him out every 3 or 4 games to attempt long range, low percentage kicks but don't trust him to attempt things in high percentage range? One thing we don't know about McCallum is how another year has impacted his range. You seem to be dismissing the possibility Father Time hasn't taken another yard or two off McCallum's range of last year. I saw enough of Leone in my two days in Kamloops to know he has earned this opportunity. I'm quite OK things have unfolded the way they have and won't lose sleep if Leone struggles a bit with FGs initially. If it gets to a poin they have to make a change they have Fera available. Don't forget Passaglia was a 57% kicker as a rookie and cracked 80% only twice in his career; his 3rd year and his 25th year. McCallum didn't consistently hit the 80% range until he came back to the wind friendly confines of BC Place and coaches started being more particular about how they utilized him.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

You mean Dean Valli couldn't handle a gift wrapped starting spot?

I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote: I saw enough of Leone in my two days in Kamloops to know he has earned this opportunity.
X2
I'm looking forward to seeing Leone kick a lot of 45-yard-plus field goals to offset any increase in the number of missed field goals from shorter range. I can't remember being this excited about the Lions' kicking situation since the arrival of Ted Gerela in 1967.
The_Pauser
Legend

People dump on Leone for his poor game against Edmonton; however, Grant Shaw had a poor game too. Maybe the conditions at Thunderbird Stadium weren't ideal for kickers? The fact that we have Anthony Fera on the practice roster is comforting. He can work on his punting, and if Leone falters we can always replace him with Fera.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Leone's problems with FGs in the Esks game might be attributed to lack of familiarity with his new holder.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Leone's problems with FGs in the Esks game might be attributed to lack of familiarity with his new holder.
Fera didn't have any problem with familiarity.
Blitz
Team Captain

No real big surprises with our Leos cuts. Knew with an H Back system they would need to keep both tight ends.

I'm a bit surprised that Player is the starting right guard over Valli. If that move was made I thought it would be Norman starting at right guard and Fabian at left guard. But Norman is hurt so he could take over one of the two guard spots. It is positive that we've reached the stage where Valli can be a depth lineman and not a starter. Draheim gets the first shot at the important left tackle spot and for the first time in a long time we go with an import center in Foster. We needed to do it at this point.

Looks like Tillman will be the dime back and our punt returner to start the season. I wonder if Lawrence will get a chance to be a punt returner. Also pleased that Adekolu was kept and hope he gets a chance to get some reps.

I wonder if we will start Courtney Taylor or Burnham for our opener at slot back.

Pleased with the players our Leos have chosen to retain on the practice roster.

With Lochard and Murray-Lawrence we didn`t need to have another import back on the main roster.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)