Will the blackout be lifted tonight?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

globespanner
Rookie

It seems to me with the small capacity of the UBC Facility (<10K) it is a purrfect opportunity for the lions to lift the blackout.

This will showcase the product with the two week break coming up and may drive some ticket sales for the opener.

Thoughts???
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There's no TV broadcast. You have to be there in person to see it.
JohnHenry
Champion

Yep, the Lions game won't be televised but the Riders have announced they will live-stream tonights game vs. the Stamps on the Riders website.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Not only is there no TV for the game, Blackouts don't really factor into telecasts any more as HD TV broadcasts cannot be blacked out. Lets face it, any sports fan that cannot afford HD TV cannot afford a ticket to a game either.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Not only is there no TV for the game, Blackouts don't really factor into telecasts any more as HD TV broadcasts cannot be blacked out. Lets face it, any sports fan that cannot afford HD TV cannot afford a ticket to a game either.
Never thought of it that way, but I do know a few rare people that choose not to have HD.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:
DanoT wrote:Not only is there no TV for the game, Blackouts don't really factor into telecasts any more as HD TV broadcasts cannot be blacked out. Lets face it, any sports fan that cannot afford HD TV cannot afford a ticket to a game either.
Never thought of it that way, but I do know a few rare people that choose not to have HD.
That's because they don't want to upgrade from that old 26" colour TV they bought for $1000 back in the 80s. Still works fine don't it Martha!
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Rammer wrote:
That's because they don't want to upgrade from that old 26" colour TV they bought for $1000 back in the 80s. Still works fine don't it Martha!
we spent something over a 1000 on a 36 inch full screen non hd tv just before the full screen crash. TV is still too new to get rid of. I don't miss not having HD. Don't see it as all that. However, I would like to get some of the HD channels. To do that, we would have to buy wide screen and I don't want to. I love my full screen. Soon though, I guess we will get wide screen HD for the rec room since they be televising most sports in wide screen, sigh

It is not always about money, some like us choose not to switch to HD yet, and some, like myself, have many other reasons for not buying tickets. Cant remember the last blacked out game here, but I don't complain when it happens.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Some people also don't watch enough TV (besides sports) to justify buying something that will get so little use. I don't know about anyone else but other than sports I'd say it's been at least five years since I've watched any weekly TV show on an "appointment viewing" basis (does that old Global weekly Lions show with Shanel Pratap count? Even that was always viewable online). In fact if it weren't for the CFL I probably wouldn't be bothered to even have cable let alone a hi-def on which to watch it. If I had a reliable way to watch sports, especially CFL, online without a cable subscription I'd probably pull the plug.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Fred Flintstone should share the cost with Barney Rubble for an HD feed. :)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Some people also don't watch enough TV (besides sports) to justify buying something that will get so little use. I don't know about anyone else but other than sports I'd say it's been at least five years since I've watched any weekly TV show on an "appointment viewing" basis (does that old Global weekly Lions show with Shanel Pratap count? Even that was always viewable online). In fact if it weren't for the CFL I probably wouldn't be bothered to even have cable let alone a hi-def on which to watch it. If I had a reliable way to watch sports, especially CFL, online without a cable subscription I'd probably pull the plug.
That seems to be what's keeping rights-holder TSN/Bell from streaming all games to anyone who wants to watch. The cable and satellite companies, including Bell, would lose a big chunk of their business. I don't watch prime-time or weekend TV other than for sports.

Eventually, the league will have to insist on live streaming without strings attached. Many millenials the league is trying to attract don't have TVs, let alone cable subscriptions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Most of the stuff you see on television these days are utter crap.
globespanner
Rookie

the game will be broadcast on TSN. It shows it on their website. my question stands
globespanner
Rookie

Oops. It is being broadcast only on TSN GO.

Thanks
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Most of the stuff you see on television these days are utter crap.
Which is exactly what prompted my last post.
globespanner wrote:the game will be broadcast on TSN. It shows it on their website. my question stands
If that's the case then I would think it's business as usual = blackout on SD only. Although from what I see on tsn.ca they have it showing on "TSN GO". I don't think it's the regular SD/HD tv channels.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-ca-help-section-tsn-go-1.88961
What is TSN GO?

TSN GO gives you access to the best live and on-demand content in Canada, on many platforms, at any time, everywhere. This new video streaming service allows you to enjoy many of your favorite TV shows live on multiple devices, and a large library of on-demand video content.

TSN GO keeps you connected to some of your favorite programs on your desktop, laptop, iPhone, iPad and Android Smartphone.

How do I access TSN GO?

You will need the username and password for your account with a television service provider.

Can I access TSN GO from any device?

Access to TSN GO content is supported on iPhone, iPad, Android and web-connected desktop and laptop computers. We currently do not support Blackberry.

How much does it cost?

There is no cost to stream TSN GO content as long as you are current subscriber to a television service provider and the channel is included in your subscription package.

Can I watch content from this channel without signing into an account?

You can watch series trailers and free preview content without being signed in this channel. In order to access library content of television series and movies, or a live stream of the television channel, you must be signed in.

Will streaming TV shows use my cellular data plan (3G/4G/LTE)?

If you are not connected to the internet or Wi-Fi, streaming video will use your data plan.

Can I watch TSN GO content outside of Canada?

No. If you are physically outside Canada, TSN GO will not be available to you for viewing.

Why isn’t my television service provider on the list?

TSN GO is available to all television service providers. Please check back soon to see if your television service provider has chosen to provide TSN GO. To help speed up the process, you can contact your service provider to request access to TSN GO.

My provider is listed but it says I don't subscribe to the correct channel?

A subscription to the channel through your television service provider is required in order to view its content. Please contact your service provider and add this channel to your subscription package to ensure the best experience.

I don't subscribe to any television service provider, what should I do?

A subscription to the channel from a television service provider is required to view its content. You can order home television services from any service provider that enables access to TSN GO content.

I do not know my username and password to my television service provider. Where can I find it?

Please contact your television service provider directly to inquire. The TSN GO system does not store that information.

Can I sign up through TSN and create a username and password to view TSN GO content?

No. You can only access the TSN GO content by signing in with the username and password from your television service provider.

What if I go to other TSN / Bell Media sites – do I have to log in there as well?

Bell Media will be launching many of its properties with their own GO experiences over several phases. Once that occurs, you will be able to login just once and have access to all of the sites and apps.

How many people in my household can log in at the same time?

Viewing restrictions are set at the channel level. Therefore, multiple users can log in at the same time. However, we limit the number of concurrent streams to four per account, across all devices.

What if I change my television service provider?

By changing television service providers, you may have also changed your subscription package. Ensure that your favorite channels are included and then simply login with your new username and password from your service provider account to continue watching your favorite shows.

What does the lock mean?

When you encounter an item that has a lock symbol, it indicates that only users that have a subscription to that channel with their television service provider can view the content. Contact your local television service provider to inquire how to sign up.

Who can I contact if I have a question?

tsngo@bellmedia.ca
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I am one of those that has been pretty fed up with the crap that comes on cable for the price that they charge. I got rid of my cable subscription last year. I watch most things online now and don't really miss the cable at all. Now that football season is back, I may consider a subscription for a few months, either satellite or cable (I haven't decided which yet). Leaning towards satellite but other than sports, I don't find that HD is all that useful. Most of the stuff on cable, HD makes no difference. I don't need to see the nose hairs on the guard during one of the marathon Border Security runs.

Of course, providers have all the TSN CFL stuff locked up tighter than a drum right now. Last time I checked, you couldn't even get the CFL from TSN on line because Shaw didn't have an agreement with TSN. Of course I don't have a Shaw agreement anymore even if that has changed so it does me no good.

I will figure something out for the season but after that, goodbye cable again. I don't miss it and I certainly don't miss the monthly cost.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.