Will the blackout be lifted tonight?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

jcalhoun
Starter

Sir Purrcival wrote:I am one of those that has been pretty fed up with the crap that comes on cable for the price that they charge. I got rid of my cable subscription last year. I watch most things online now and don't really miss the cable at all. Now that football season is back, I may consider a subscription for a few months, either satellite or cable (I haven't decided which yet). Leaning towards satellite but other than sports, I don't find that HD is all that useful. Most of the stuff on cable, HD makes no difference. I don't need to see the nose hairs on the guard during one of the marathon Border Security runs.

Of course, providers have all the TSN CFL stuff locked up tighter than a drum right now. Last time I checked, you couldn't even get the CFL from TSN on line because Shaw didn't have an agreement with TSN. Of course I don't have a Shaw agreement anymore even if that has changed so it does me no good.

I will figure something out for the season but after that, goodbye cable again. I don't miss it and I certainly don't miss the monthly cost.
Hey all,

I hear you, Sir P (and sj-roc). I ditched my cable about two years ago. When I want to watch a TV series (and there really aren't many I want to watch) I go online or get the DVDs from the library. FYI: "Elementary" is kinda fun, "Hannibal" is excellent. But neither justifies a $700-1000 annual bill for cable. And there's no way in hell I'm buying a flat screen TV --I just wouldn't spend anything on one given my lifestyle, and what's more, I don't want one in the house.

I miss TV during football season, but four CFL games for eighteen weeks is twelve hours a week in front of the tube. That's five + working weeks of time. Thanks but no. When there's a really crackerjack game on, I make a point of heading someplace where I can watch it --and it doesn't have to be a bar (though often is) and seems like a better option for me.

I really like streams, and wish I could just buy a yearly package from the CFL website so I could watch directly on my computer. They don't offer it, so I find one online somewhere. (I should feel bad about this, but it strikes me as no different than someone who PVRs the game and fast-forwards through the commercials).

What I really miss is the TSN VOD archive. I'd often skip a Winnipeg Toronto game, say...watch the highlights, and if it turned out to be a great game I'd watch it a day or two later. That was purrfect. But TSN decided to circle the wagons and so...I generally don't watch anymore. C'est la vie.

Over the last couple of years I've been becoming a 'casual' fan, and I gotta say it has been interesting. Without TV, newspapers, etc, I only see Lions marketing if I go looking for it. There's a lot of people out there that don't know or care that the Lions exist and one isn't going to be able to reach them via traditional media because we don't care to engage with it. I don't know how the Lions crack this nut. But locking up content isn't the way to do it.

Cheers,

James