Paul McCallum released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
David wrote:PM has issued a statement via Twitter:
Paul McCallum ‏@PaulMcCallum4 · 2h2 hours ago
I don't usually do this but I want it to be very clear! I did not ask to be released! I was told to retire or I would be cut.

DH :cool:
Mostly semantics. BC doesn't give him the ultimatum Tassiming it was framed that way) if they think he will be successful in sticking. Once they came to the conclusion Hera, Leone or a combination of the 2 will be replacing McCallum. Once they came to that conclusion they were faced with disposing of a popular legend who doesn't think he's done yet. No matter what the team does they can't win that PR battle. Best they can do is do what the Lions did and give him the option to determine his departure. Can't do much more than that. Far as I'm concerned if PM was given the option of retire or be released he didn't need to request his release. All he needed to do was say he wasn't going to retire and by default he wasn't asking, he was telling them to release him.
Exactly my thoughts... This kind of "he said - she said" nonsense is such crap. If he was told that he could retire or be released (or "cut" ...), then he was still the master of his own destiny. All he has to do is say "I am not going to retire" and in effect, he is asking to for his release. Good on them for making that determination early in TC. The day that Leone was cut by the Steelers was the day that PM's days were numbered for this year.
CardiacKid
Legend

Definitely could have been handled better. Not particularly happy with Tedford's attempts at denying or deflecting the situation. I hope that is not going to be indicative of a testy or combative relationship with the media; that wears real thin (just ask Torts). McCallum is a proud guy and not someone who I would expect to go quietly in the night but for it to descend into "I said,they said" is sad.
Not sure what the rationale would be to sign McCallum back with the team earlier this year when you know what he brings to the table and then turf him before the pre-season starts. I can only think Tedford wants to split training camp time 2 ways instead of 3. Now they have gone this direction, one of these 2 better prove capable of doing both jobs. Splitting the duties has to be considered unacceptable at this point.

See you Paul, hope you get a chance somewhere.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote: Mostly semantics. BC doesn't give him the ultimatum (assuming it was framed that way) if they think he will be successful in sticking. Once they came to the conclusion Hera, Leone or a combination of the 2 will be replacing McCallum they were faced with disposing of a popular legend who doesn't think he's done yet. No matter what the team does they can't win that PR battle. Best they can do is do what the Lions did and give him the option to determine and frame his own departure. Can't do much more than that. Far as I'm concerned if PM was given the option of retire or be released he didn't need to request his release. All he needed to do was say he wasn't going to retire and by default he wasn't asking, he was telling them to release him.
Agreed. Time marches on. McCallum wasn't ready to retire so he has a chance to move on and further his career. I wish him well but I'm happy the team has decided to keep players with stronger legs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

This whole situation could have been handled better but in the end I think is the correct move. With the CFL's limited roster, you can't have a guy occupying a roster spot for just kicking field goal or punting and kickoffs.
Dusty
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:This whole situation could have been handled better but in the end I think is the correct move. With the CFL's limited roster, you can't have a guy occupying a roster spot for just kicking field goal or punting and kickoffs.
I'm not sure how it could be handled better. According to Paul (on air with Moj and Burns), Wally asked for 6 weeks beyond their usual Feb 1 timeline to commit to a contract and signing bonus. Wally has always had discussions about Paul retiring so Wally could avoid having to release or cut him. At TC, once they looked at the legs, the Lions gave Paul more time to reconsider the retirement option. Paul said no, which is his prerogative.

Paul seems to be concerned that the impression would be given that he "quit" on the team or the fans if he retired. I'm surprised that he would be concerned about that because he has always been a money kicker since he arrived here and I think that fans recognize his past value. But time marches on and we need younger legs. Seeing Schmidt kick for yards and hang time last year, pointed out the direction we need to head. I'm not sure that pursuing the option of retire/release after training camp would be any better for Paul's pride or fans.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... n-1.301710
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dusty wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I'm not sure how it could be handled better. According to Paul (on air with Moj and Burns), Wally asked for 6 weeks beyond their usual Feb 1 timeline to commit to a contract and signing bonus. Wally has always had discussions about Paul retiring so Wally could avoid having to release or cut him. At TC, once they looked at the legs, the Lions gave Paul more time to reconsider the retirement option. Paul said no, which is his prerogative.

Paul seems to be concerned that the impression would be given that he "quit" on the team or the fans if he retired. I'm surprised that he would be concerned about that because he has always been a money kicker since he arrived here and I think that fans recognize his past value. But time marches on and we need younger legs. Seeing Schmidt kick for yards and hang time last year, pointed out the direction we need to head. I'm not sure that pursuing the option of retire/release after training camp would be any better for Paul's pride or fans.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... n-1.301710
Of course in mid-March BC only had Steve Schott to compete with McCallum. Since then Fera and Leone were added and after watching this afternoon's workout it's easy to see why McCallum drew the short straw. Both were nailing FGs from 52 (albeit with only snapper and holder) with the ball landing 10 yards or more deep in the endzone. Maybe whomever wins the battle won't be quite as automatic from inside the 45 but I'll trade one or two extra misses for the potential to make kicks from 45-55. Watching these guys if they miss from 45 the guy returning will be starting from the back of the endzone, if the ball doesn't sail beyond, instead of from just inside the endzone. I'll also welcome seeing kickoffs fielded inside the 10 instead of out at the 20 or 25 and an extra 5 yards or more in field position due to longer, higher punts.

Paul shouldn't be concerned about any perception of quitting on the team or fans. Everybody knows and appreciates what he has done on his way to the HOF but there comes a time when it's time. I'd much rather see him go out now than to try hanging on to be let go because he's proved he know longer can play at top level.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

One of the nicest part of his HOF career is that the final 10 or 11 years as a Lions were by far his best years and were what really has earned him HOF consideration.
aklawitter
All Star

Quite possibly the most clutch FG kicker in CFL history (save for that one little 17 yarder).

[video][/video]
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Paul McCallum
✔ ‎@PaulMcCallum4
I don't usually do this but I want it to be very clear! I did not ask to be released! I was told to retire or I would be cut.
http://www.cfl.ca/article/note-so-fast- ... rding-move
Not so Fast: McCallum released; takes to Twitter regarding move

Posted: June 06, 2015 04:30 PM

Updated: June 07, 2015 12:09 AM

CFL.ca Staff

KAMPLOOPS -- The BC Lions announced Saturday the release of Paul McCallum. Shortly thereafter the veteran kicker/punter took to Twitter to speak on the move.

The Lions issued a statement confirming the kicker's release and stating that he had "requested to be released by the team"

“Paul and I have had ongoing discussions over the past number of seasons regarding his future with the club," said Lions VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono. ”In keeping with what Paul and I discussed, the club will grant his request for a release at this time. We appreciate his many contributions to our organization and we wish him the best moving forward,

Reports surfaced yesterday claiming that McCallum was contemplating retrirement but he quickly attempted to give his side of the story via Twitter Saturday afternoon.
There is no way Wally meant any disrespect to Paul.

Paul's words make it sound quite blunt. Retire. Or you will be cut. I can't imagine it was said that way. And I cannot imagine it was meant that way.

It is pretty easy for words to come out wrong. And they can be taken the wrong way. But according to Paul's tweet, It sounds like he is ticked off at the organization. And one understands that it is dayum hard for pro athletes to face retirement.

Is Paul just saying he doesn't want to let the fans down? Or he doesn't want to appear to be letting the team down? His words sound different than that. The fans know he doesn't want to quit.

I am sure Wally's intention in the conversation was along these lines: We are going with the younger guys. We will give you your release if you want to pursue other opportunities. You've had a tremendous career. If you wish to retire, that is your choice also.

It is a sensitive issue when an athlete with a huge legacy is near the end or reaches the end. This will die down rather quickly, methinks.

Paul might get another shot somewhere, but these young guys have cannons for legs.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

All the best to Paul McCallum as he departs with the Lions. I hope there won't be too many hard feelings after these initial feelings subside. I'm sure in the years from now, McCallum wlil be inducted into the Wall of Fame. After all, it was McCallum who finally provided some long term stability after the retirement of Lui Passaglia after Matt Kellett and Duncan O'Mahony was no replacement at all. McCallum will not replace Passaglia as the best kicker in Lions history...but if there was a second-to-best....it would be McCallum.

In the years to come, what would be your best memory of McCallum? Likely his play on October 8, 2011 when his field goal streak ended but redeemed himself by making the game winning FG as posted by aklawitter above.

It looks like the 2006 Grey Cup is one of the lesser popular Lions Grey Cup wins and along with that, goes the deservedly McCallum's MVC performance when he provided 19 out of the 25 points.
[video][/video]

And he did well too in the 2011 Grey Cup when he provided 16 out of the 34 points, and gave the Lions some breathing room with his last field goal after the Blue Bombers scored two late TD's. McCallum could have won MVC again but I suppose after winning 2011 Special Teams award they felt someone else should win it and gave it to Andrew Harris.
[video][/video]

So....would his two Lions Grey Cup performance be as memorable as October 8, 2011? Probably not.

And most unfortunately........there stands a possibility that the best memory of McCallum might be a negative one. I've stated countless times that the most memorable Lions home division final win would be the 2004 WDF and along with that........ :sigh:
[video][/video]
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Blitz
Team Captain

I think the words are important.

McCallum says he was asked to retire or he would be released.

McCallum has committed to the Lions for this season and was looking forward to the season. When Leone and Fera became available the situation changed.

I think what upset McCallum was Wally's statement that he had asked to be released. McCallum says that is b.s. McCallum didn't want to retire so the Lions released him. Wally can be very good at spin and manipulating the media.

I think its important to tell the truth to the media when you are making decisions with a player who has been a very important long time contributor to your team. McCallum is a future Hall of Famer and perhaps the best clutch field goal kicker in CFL history along with Dave Cutler.

The Lions wanted McCallum to retire, to ease the p.r. aspect of the Leos deciding to go in a different direction. They released McCallum, plain and simple when he didn't want to retire. McCallum believed he deserved the dignity of the truth.

I don't think its simple semantics. If any one of us was brought in by the boss and informed that we were going to be let go but we could retire instead (for either the organization's or our own personal optics) and then the boss said we were the one who asked to be let go, we wouldn't appreciate it.

I trust McCallum's words. He's always been a straight shooter. He told TSN Radio it was B.S. that he asked to be released and I believe him. Wally's record of releasing vets with all kinds of clouds and rainy skies hanging all over the process is well documented over a long period of time.

Its never an easy thing but its been very rare that a long serving Leo has not left bitter because of the way things were handled by Wally. I have no problem with Wally letting go of players when he determines their time has arrived...usually he has got it right, on a few occasions he was too early, but often teams hang onto a vet for too long.

But somehow, when releasing a vet, instead of the straight forward way, Wally usually has to manipulate it in some way or another. Wally always likes to look good to the media and press as his priority. It's his MO and the player is usually the one who pays the price for that.

I wish Paul McCallum well. I hope he gets picked up by a team later in the season if he still wants to keep kicking. There is also a good chance he has kicked his last field goal.

Either way, thanks for the memories Paul. I will always remember McCallum completely ignoring Wally, (who wanted to punt )running out on the field to kick that very long field goal that kept our winning streak alive in 2011. Its amazing that McCallum, at his age, was able to perform as he did and he gave our Leos the best performance of his very successful career. :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

In the end a club will be a little less loyal to player than the other way around but I certainly agree with Blitz that Wally has a track record that is not player friendly when it comes to letting vets go. In this case, Wally also has given Tedford a lot more say as to personnel than maybe most HCs get. He relies on fans saying 'Well Wally knows best'. I 've read that a lot of times here. Fans think that Wally knows things we don't so there must be a reason. Like the belief 'well the police arrested him, he must be guilty.'

It is hard to do this any better especially with TC's underway and not a job in the CFL open - plus he's a realtor with a local business to attend to - so I can't really see his portability to another city - even if a job is open.

No other options until TC but now there are two and supposedly they look good.

A chance to see how the ratio will work and now there are two potential options (younger) with more upside.

Bottom line: Even if Paul is still money from inside the 45 he's 45 years old and his potential for depleting leg strength rises each year.

Risk: their new star - if he becomes one - might not stay if an import. PM can't last forever.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote: In the years to come, what would be your best memory of McCallum? Likely his play on October 8, 2011 when his field goal streak ended but redeemed himself by making the game winning FG as posted by aklawitter above.
The missed field goal which would have sent the Riders to the Grey Cup
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Robbie wrote: In the years to come, what would be your best memory of McCallum? Likely his play on October 8, 2011 when his field goal streak ended but redeemed himself by making the game winning FG as posted by aklawitter above.
If you're referring to the 2004 WF MFG chip shot in OT that's not true. We were also getting a possession from the 35 immediately afterward, regardless of what happened on that play and an answering TD would still have given us the win. We only ran one play from scrimmage before kicking the GWFG on 2nd down. The MFG factored into that decision as without it our offence would surely have continued the drive, so who knows how things would have unfolded in that scenario.

Making that FG wouldn't have necessarily won the Riders that game, but missing it — as quickly proved to be the case — was a huge blow to their chances.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
If you're referring to the 2004 WF MFG chip shot in OT that's not true. We were also getting a possession from the 35 immediately afterward, regardless of what happened on that play and an answering TD would still have given us the win. We only ran one play from scrimmage before kicking the GWFG on 2nd down. The MFG factored into that decision as without it our offence would surely have continued the drive, so who knows how things would have unfolded in that scenario.

Making that FG wouldn't have necessarily won the Riders that game, but missing it — as quickly proved to be the case — was a huge blow to their chances.
Thanks for setting the record straight, sj-roc. You beat me to it.
Continuing with the facts, I've stated a few times that Buono certainly took a huge gamble as it was definitely a win or lose decision. One can say that McCallum's missed field goal could have still won it for the Roughriders considering what the Lions did in their own possession because McCallum's field goal miss went through the end zone for a single point, giving Saskatchewan a 25-24 lead. On the other hand, O'Mahony's attempt on a 2nd and 8 was from the 40-yard line and had he missed, the Roughriders kick returner would almost certainly been able to bring it out of the end zone and preserving the lead and win. I'm sure had O'Mahony missed, Buono would have gotten so much criticism - about as much as what he received a week later when the Lions lost the Grey Cup and Buono did not play Printers. The Lions fans would have all stated that Buono should have ran a regular play on 2nd down in to try to get a first down and get it closer for a field goal attempt. I know...Buono chose the field goal attempt on a 2nd down in case there was a mistake with the snap - giving the Lions another chance if they recovered.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。