From the BBC...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

rob_bbc
prospect

Hi there,

Sorry for posting this publicly, but I can't quite figure out how to write direct messages to individual members yet.

My name's Rob. I'm a journalist for the BBC. Specifically, I write for the business section - my latest story is here: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32588712.

We're doing a story on the CFL, and how it compares to and competes with the NFL. As part of that, I'm looking to talk to fans themselves - being that the Lions are my local club (I live in Vancouver), that's you guys.

I'm looking to do a phone interview with one or two people about this site, the fan community in BC, and the league itself. Would anyone be up for that? (A moderator would be ideal)

Also: mods, if I've committed a faux pas posting this, please let me know.

Thanks.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I think David Holmes would be your guy (or at least one of them).
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

I'm game for talking CFL / NFL you can contact me at viciouscircle@shaw.ca.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:I think David Holmes would be your guy (or at least one of them).
You mean David who posts here? Yes, if that is who you mean.

BC FAN, TheLionKing, WestcoastJoe, D - site owner, Blitz - too would be good interviews.

Hambone also as he's not only a fan who sees both games - he travels to Lions games from a heckuva distance.

Lots of others but this gang is good to interview.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:I think David Holmes would be your guy (or at least one of them).
You mean David who posts here? Yes, if that is who you mean.

BC FAN, TheLionKing, WestcoastJoe, D - site owner, Blitz - too would be good interviews.

Hambone also as he's not only a fan who sees both games - he travels to Lions games from a heckuva distance.

Lots of others but this gang is good to interview.
Yes. David Holmes ("David" is the nickname on this site) is the guy I would recommend. He has perspective on both leagues, and is an avid Lions' fan. He is passionate about the game. If he is interested ...

For myself, I personally do not want to talk about the NFL. It does not interest me to any great degree (too much hype, too much money, too many attitudes, too many scandals), and this is a CFL fan site after all. There was a period of time when I shared the NFL bias; I preferred it over the CFL. That time is long past.

Blitz

BCFAN

Hambone

Rammer

sj-roc

Solar Max

And some fans not living locally might be interested ...

Toppy Vann

MexicoLionFan

cromartie

one in Australia ...

one on the Eastern seaboard who is an avid fan of Bear Woods ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I respectfully decline all interview requests.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

If you want the American CFL fan perspective, I'm game. I'll be happy to DM you my contact info if you'd like.
rob_bbc
prospect

Thanks everybody - Im meeting David H today. Really appreciate the feedback, and I'll give you a guys a shout if I need additional info.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here is the resulting article. 'Youthful looking' David is quoted and shown in Lions gear at B.C. Place.

The little-known Canadian version of American football

I was a bit turned off by the headline and premise of the article. Canadian football is hardly a secret and its history is longer and richer than that of American football in many ways. Kudos to David for pointing that out.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Here is the resulting article. 'Youthful looking' David is quoted and shown in Lions gear at B.C. Place.

The little-known Canadian version of American football

I was a bit turned off by the headline and premise of the article. Canadian football is hardly a secret and its history is longer and richer than that of American football in many ways. Kudos to David for pointing that out.
I agree with your thoughts on the title, which should have captured — as the article itself does in the opening paragraphs if one reads past it — the fact that the league is currently thriving better than ever in spite of factors that conspire to threaten it. In fairness, writers generally don't headline their own articles so I hesitate to blame him for it. Also, I think the "little-known" phrase, particularly in the title as well as the text, was used to reflect the relatively low profile of our game amongst the UK audience for whom the article was written. I would have added "...thrives against the odds" to the title, or something like that.

Is 2003 really the most recent year he could find for Ssk revenues, or was that a typo intended to read 2013? He quotes 2014 figures for the Esks. I'm sure some fans in AB will chafe at the suggestion from Ssk's chairman that half the attending fans when his team play in that province are green and white supporters, but it's good to see him admit the Riders thrive as much because of lack of local pro sporting competition as anything else.

David's contributions were top-notch. :thup: And I like the balance in Rod Smith's comments.
Last edited by sj-roc on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BC 1988
Legend

To anyone living in the UK, our Canadian Game is certainly "little-known".
http://www.britishamericanfootball.org/ ... ZWo-EYrXBs
David
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:David's contributions were top-notch. :thup: And I like the balance in Rod Smith's comments.
Thanks.

I met with Mr. Boffard for over an hour so we covered a lot of topics. I was candid about the league/club needing to aggressively court younger fans but he used Rod Smith's quote instead (who essentially said the same thing I did).

One of the things I tell foreigners that seems to resonate is that Grey Cup is Canada's Mardi-Gras (it wasn't used in the article).

Of note, I don't believe I ever said CFL had better athletes. I said that linemen have to be in really good shape in the CFL due to the shorter play clock and amount of pass protection required in a "passing league."

DH :wink:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Remember the author doesn't write the title used in the article as that is what the editors add in later on. They want a grabber and often the story is not what the headline says.

Writers interpret what is said at times and in context I see what DH is saying about the bigger field and the need for more mobility in the CFL vs huge behemoths in the NFL that don't need to cover much distance.

In most of the world they don't call it soccer they call it football and they don't really understand how we in North American can call our game football.

I can spend a lot of time in Hong Kong and China explaining I like both soccer and football.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy