Official Kamloops Training Camp 2015 Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
Blitz wrote: Right now, it looks like our quarterbacks going into this season are going to be Lulay, Jennings, and McGhee.

With Lulay's background of injury (he's started less an 50% of our games over the past two seasons) I would think that we would keep a quarterback on the practice roster. That could be Partridge or even Beck, once he heals up or it could be someone else.

Jennings starts tonite with McGhee also getting reps. How much Partridge gets to play will tell the story of the Leos decision making.
I agree Blitz. Last week I was confident about Partridge's place as Lulay's backup, but not so much anymore. He's going to need a monster of a game tonight with Jennings and/or McGhee faltering by some combination of really poor execution of the offence, lack of ball security/turning it over, or bad reads/a poor understanding of what looks the defense is providing (less likely given that the Stamps' D is likely to be somewhat vanilla - 4/3, few stunts, blitzes etc.).

Jennings' performance has made him the de facto #2. To top it off, I heard Tedford heap praise on McGhee last night (I think this is available on BCLions.com) which provides some insight into to where he's leaning. McGhee is one of "his guys." His recruit. No different than the NFL bias toward their draft picks or prized recruits - they're going to be given every opportunity.

I don't think Travis P has necessarily had a bad camp, but I don't think he's 'wowed' everyone like Jennings has (especially in the past week) or shown McGhee's flashes of promise. And let's not forget, Jennings and McGhee can also pull the ball down and do damage with their feet. But here's the thing. I don't think Partridge is going anywhere 'til Beck is properly evaluated as IMO, as we're going to need 4 QBs on the roster (active and PR) just given concerns/uncertainty with Lulay's shoulder. But if Partridge shows really well tonight, I don't think the club is going to be patiently waiting for Beck to come around.

DH :cool:
Great read David

I have no idea why Beck is even in the conversation now, if Tedford believes that Jennings and McPhee are good enough for the future. Beck is not a developmental quarterback. His only value was his experience but if Lulay went down Id' prefer us to play a rookie qb with promise than waste time (other than the immediate present) on a quarterback who is not the longer term future.

I like Partridge. He is a big quarterback who is very mobile for his size. He is confident, makes quick decisions, he can operate inside and outside the pocket, he is accurate in both the short and intermediate game and he can throw the deep route well. He has a strong arm and he can also take off and run the football. He has a lot of intangibles. I think that he has shown that he is too confident at times in terms of attempting to gun the football into lower percentage plays but that can be coached. However, as you said, Jennings and McGhee have not only shown well, Partridge has had some turnovers in camp, and not being a Tedford selection doesn't help. You're rignt - Partridge will have to be lights out tonite in order to be one of the three that we dress to start the season. But if Partridge can impress, he could stick on the practice roster rather than Beck and you never know.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Great stuff David, thanks. This is all that we as fans can ask for...to have your incumbents truly PUSHED by quality additions. I too like Travis Partridge and felt that he possessed that certain something that all good QBs need, but if Jennings and McGhee out perform him, I am only too happy to sit back and enjoy the IMPROVED PLAY and PRODUCTION! Because another season like last year with Glenn and Khari would have left me a Riders fan!

I LOVE that Jennings is getting the start tonight. That is a relatively bold move by Tedford and sends a strong, positive message to the entire team...produce and play, don't and get cut...no biases on nationality or history, just produce...we could use a little of Al Davis in our offence me thinks...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

Interesting that Angus Reid has been a guest coach for the Riders.
Frankly the only knee-knocking question mark surrounding the Riders football club is the offensive line, which was noted here last week. The team is working to fill holes at centre and at right tackle and brought in two-time Grey Cup champion and former B.C. Lions centre Angus Reid as a guest coach to help speed up the cohesion in training camp.

Veteran import Levy Adcock appears to be the one to replace Ben Heenan at right tackle while veteran non-import Dan Clark is ahead of Corey Watman in the battle to replace Dominic Picard at centre. So far the reviews have been good but the real bullets won’t fly until this Saturday’s preseason game against Edmonton in Fort McMurray. Kickoff in the Northern Kickoff is 8:00 pm CST (on TSN and the CKRM Roughrider Radio Network).

"Everything looks good right now," Angus Reid cautioned. "The thing is you're going to see a different looking offensive line from a scheme perspective. It's taking these guys a little longer to learn a new system, if you will, but what I will say is you got guys here who are willing to work their butt off and always try their best. They're not questioning or fighting the system and that's what you need. I think by the end of camp you'll see a well-oiled machine and I'm really excited to watch this group this year."
Here in B.C. it definitely looks like we will have three changes to our offensive line from last season, with import Estes still tops on the depth chart as our starting center, Norman moves to left guard, and we'll have a new import at left tackle. Valli and Olifoye look like they will return to their old starting positions on the right side of the offensive line.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Interesting that Angus Reid has been a guest coach for the Riders.
Frankly the only knee-knocking question mark surrounding the Riders football club is the offensive line, which was noted here last week. The team is working to fill holes at centre and at right tackle and brought in two-time Grey Cup champion and former B.C. Lions centre Angus Reid as a guest coach to help speed up the cohesion in training camp.

Veteran import Levy Adcock appears to be the one to replace Ben Heenan at right tackle while veteran non-import Dan Clark is ahead of Corey Watman in the battle to replace Dominic Picard at centre. So far the reviews have been good but the real bullets won’t fly until this Saturday’s preseason game against Edmonton in Fort McMurray. Kickoff in the Northern Kickoff is 8:00 pm CST (on TSN and the CKRM Roughrider Radio Network).

"Everything looks good right now," Angus Reid cautioned. "The thing is you're going to see a different looking offensive line from a scheme perspective. It's taking these guys a little longer to learn a new system, if you will, but what I will say is you got guys here who are willing to work their butt off and always try their best. They're not questioning or fighting the system and that's what you need. I think by the end of camp you'll see a well-oiled machine and I'm really excited to watch this group this year."
Here in B.C. it definitely looks like we will have three changes to our offensive line from last season, with import Estes still tops on the depth chart as our starting center, Norman moves to left guard, and we'll have a new import at left tackle. Valli and Olifoye look like they will return to their old starting positions on the right side of the offensive line.

"cautioned' ... Keep the expectations modest.

"The thing is you're going to see a different looking offensive line from a scheme perspective." ... Dan's scheme.

"taking these guys a little longer to learn the system" ... uh oh ... Would that be Dan's system? LOL

Best wishes to all our Lions' alumni over in Regina. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Blitz wrote:Interesting that Angus Reid has been a guest coach for the Riders.

"cautioned' ... Keep the expectations modest.

"The thing is you're going to see a different looking offensive line from a scheme perspective." ... Dan's scheme.

"taking these guys a little longer to learn the system" ... uh oh ... Would that be Dan's system? LOL

Best wishes to all our Lions' alumni over in Regina. :thup:

Thanks for posting that Blitz, very interesting information. I "read" the same thing Joe...good luck to the Riders inheriting that system! I know the fans in Riderville are NOT happy about the coaching changes that were made. Being tentative on either the O or DLines spells trouble.

Albert Einstein
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I really don't get what it is the Lions see in Beck. Nothing he did last year gives me any reason to think keeping him around helps our team. He has barely participated in camp, which is not going to help him execute the new offence if he is expected to back up Lulay or (god forbid) start. At 34 he has no medium or long term future with the team. I think Partridge has earned special consideration way more than Beck. From the little I have seen of Partridge he seems like he has the potential to be a good CFL QB. Now, maybe Jennings and McGhee are out performing him in TC but you can't say Beck has. If Beck is still wasting a roster spot at camp after the first round of cuts I will be surprised, and disappointed. The Lions need to start developing a couple future QBs. It sounds like in Jennings, McGhee and Partridge we have 3 solid candidates.
David
Team Captain

Thanks MLF (and welcome back!) and Blitz. I did not see as much of camp as some other Lionbackers but based on the 'eyeball' test at the scrimmage, we're going to have to let some players go who could well be starters on other teams. That's how competitive it is and it speaks to the great recruiting job the Leos have done (thanks to Tedford, Rigmaiden, McEvoy, Shivers, and McCarthy).

The most notable areas in which we have an embarrassment of riches are in the defensive backfield and receivers. Some great players are going to be cut (let's not forget too, they're going to have to make roster room for at least one of Morrah, Leonard, or Jordan in the H-back spot)! I would expect vets like Cord Parks (Lewis, Tillman) and Courtney Taylor (Burnham, Vizzi) are going to be in tough battles to keep their jobs.

We've also upgraded along the interior of our D-line (was not in favour of cutting Eric Tayor but sorry, Khalif was a wasted roster space last year), and of course our kicking game should be vastly improved. **Should be**. A key battle I will watch for tonight is the import running back spot. All players contesting that position can run back kicks, so I would not anoint incumbent Keola Antolin as a starter just yet. Bigelow, Galvin, and Thigpen impressed me. It's likely going to come down to who has the best receiving hands coming out of the backfield and can protect the QB.

Lastly, the one area I still don't have a handle on is the O-line. On paper they should be better, and it's a case of "addition by subtraction" too without the complicated blocking schemes of Dan Dorazio. We shall find out shortly!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
MexicoLionFan
Legend

David wrote:Thanks MLF (and welcome back!) and Blitz. I did not see as much of camp as some other Lionbackers but based on the 'eyeball' test at the scrimmage, we're going to have to let some players go who could well be starters on other teams. That's how competitive it is and it speaks to the great recruiting job the Leos have done (thanks to Tedford, Rigmaiden, McEvoy, Shivers, and McCarthy).

The most notable areas in which we have an embarrassment of riches are in the defensive backfield and receivers. Some great players are going to be cut (let's not forget too, they're going to have to make roster room for at least one of Morrah, Leonard, or Jordan in the H-back spot)! I would expect vets like Cord Parks (Lewis, Tillman) and Courtney Taylor (Burnham, Vizzi) are going to be in tough battles to keep their jobs.

We've also upgraded along the interior of our D-line (was not in favour of cutting Eric Tayor but sorry, Khalif was a wasted roster space last year), and of course our kicking game should be vastly improved. **Should be**. A key battle I will watch for tonight is the import running back spot. All players contesting that position can run back kicks, so I would not anoint incumbent Keola Antolin as a starter just yet. Bigelow, Galvin, and Thigpen impressed me. It's likely going to come down to who has the best receiving hands coming out of the backfield and can protect the QB.

Lastly, the one area I still don't have a handle on is the O-line. On paper they should be better, and it's a case of "addition by subtraction" too without the complicated blocking schemes of Dan Dorazio. We shall find out shortly!

Extremely well said, and it encompasses I think what everyone will be looking for over these 2 PS games.

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sunday is first cutdown day in the CFL, and the Lions have released eight players, including QB Travis Partridge, DB Torri Williams and RB Brendan Bigelow. They've also added DB Jordan Rwiyamilira, bringing them to the 65-player limit, not including current-year draft picks and other non-counters.

The full list of cuts, according to LU:
QB Travis Partridge
RB Brendan Bigelow
DB Torri Williams
C John Estes
TE Reggis Jordan
T Kaycee Ike
DT Alex King
DB Derrick Morgan

Lions cut eight, including two sophomores

The team's new depth chart shows only one new starter, Jason Foster at centre. He has taken first-team reps throughout camp even though he was listed behind Estes.
BC 1988
Legend

Travis Partridge last week said he was oblivious to the pending need to perform in the pre-season opener for the B.C. Lions, but when he didn’t come through it was obvious what would come next.

The second-year quarterback was released Sunday, one of two veterans and eight players overall cut in order to reach training camp minimums imposed by the CFL. The numbers for Partridge in the Lions’ 20-6 loss Friday to the Calgary Stampeders weren’t pretty.

The quarterback ran only six plays during three series in the third quarter, and went 2-for-4 passing for three yards, with a sack and interception. It was reflective of the work in training camp of the 24-year-old, who quickly fell behind two rookies, Jon Jennings and Greg McGhee.
Wow, that's a surprise that Partridge is gone this quickly. If Travis L. is unable to start for awhile going into the season, the only other QB on the roster with CFL exposure is Beck (and is he even in the conversation now?)

Tedford/Cortez don't waste any time (and like to gamble).
David
Team Captain

No huge surprises (other than Torri Williams?) given how things played out in Calgary.

Last night's Eskimo-Rider game in Fort McMurray was a study in contrast with the Lions-Stamps game the previous night. Sure, it was a sloppy, undisciplined flag fest. But it was also a very aggressive, hard-hitting affair, punctuated by surprisingly strong quarterbacking (even without Mike Reilly) and great plays from both teams. Guys just seemed more dialed in and willing to do more to get noticed (Esks 3rd round LB Adam Konar was a one-man wrecking crew **sigh**).

Aside from a couple of nice pops by Alex Tillman, the Lions-Stamps game was a largely listless affair, I thought. Not surprising from Calgary's standpoint - coming off the high of a Grey Cup victory and few jobs up for grabs, but the Lions' rather perfunctory performance with so much on the line and playing for a new Head Coach really surprised me.

A word of caution for Friday. The Eskimos come at you and they hit to hurt. Their defensive line shows relentless pressure and, preseason be damned, Jones sends guys from all over to get to the quarterback. Not the ideal game in which to start Travis Lulay.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote:[Thanks for posting that Blitz, very interesting information. I "read" the same thing Joe...good luck to the Riders inheriting that system! I know the fans in Riderville are NOT happy about the coaching changes that were made. Being tentative on either the O or DLines spells trouble.
Actually over in RF.com where the Kool-Aid is brilliant green and thicker than molasses the common belief is that Chapdelaine and Dorazio are upgrades over Cortez and Malone.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Aside from a couple of nice pops by Alex Tillman, the Lions-Stamps game was a largely listless affair, I thought. Not surprising from Calgary's standpoint - coming off the high of a Grey Cup victory and few jobs up for grabs, but the Lions' rather perfunctory performance with so much on the line and playing for a new Head Coach really surprised me.
Definitely tested the attention span. LU blogged as much:
...what the Lions needed more than anything during the three-hour infomercial was a saleable performance, something to ignite a fan base which may well now be more interested in women’s soccer at the moment. It’s fair to suggest they didn’t get one. Again, it needs to be said that the bulk of their team was watching the game on television, which allows for hope. But the reviews of their first home game, such as it is at UBC, will have to be better than what was on display Friday.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:[Thanks for posting that Blitz, very interesting information. I "read" the same thing Joe...good luck to the Riders inheriting that system! I know the fans in Riderville are NOT happy about the coaching changes that were made. Being tentative on either the O or DLines spells trouble.
Actually over in RF.com where the Kool-Aid is brilliant green and thicker than molasses the common belief is that Chapdelaine and Dorazio are upgrades over Cortez and Malone.
We'll check back to see how Darian Durant is doing running to save his life.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:I really don't get what it is the Lions see in Beck. Nothing he did last year gives me any reason to think keeping him around helps our team. He has barely participated in camp, which is not going to help him execute the new offence if he is expected to back up Lulay or (god forbid) start. At 34 he has no medium or long term future with the team. I think Partridge has earned special consideration way more than Beck. From the little I have seen of Partridge he seems like he has the potential to be a good CFL QB. Now, maybe Jennings and McGhee are out performing him in TC but you can't say Beck has. If Beck is still wasting a roster spot at camp after the first round of cuts I will be surprised, and disappointed. The Lions need to start developing a couple future QBs. It sounds like in Jennings, McGhee and Partridge we have 3 solid candidates.
In Beck I think the Lions see a veteran presence in the QB mix that will be extremely important should Lulay either not be ready to go for the opener or should he get hurt later in the season. From what I recall of Lulay's comments re: Beck's work at 3DQB when Lulay first met him he brings some leadership and mentorship intangibles. I've always been a believer in the need for a mix at QB. If you have an established veteran starter you can go young at #2 and #3. If you have a young starter you need a veteran presence to fall back on at #2. I agree Beck has no medium or long term future with the team but what he can do is buy some time in the short term for Jennings and/or McGhee. How things shake out remains to be seen but if Jennings continues to progress I can see Beck being kept not so much to be Lulay's backup but rather to be Jennings' backup should he get thrust into the starting position. Then should Jennings struggle or "shudder" get hurt we aren't tossing the keys to McGhee and another rookie-to-be-named-later or veteran airlifted in. That in turn gives McGhee more time to develop.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.