Official Kamloops Training Camp 2015 Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:A word of caution for Friday. The Eskimos come at you and they hit to hurt. Their defensive line shows relentless pressure and, preseason be damned, Jones sends guys from all over to get to the quarterback. Not the ideal game in which to start Travis Lulay.

DH :cool:
Glen Suitor on Friday's broadcast said he didn't think Travis L. was likely to get any playing time in the EDM game either. So we look ahead to what the weather will be like Saturday, July 4th in Ottawa. I hope it isn't thunder and lightning again. :cr:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
David wrote:A word of caution for Friday. The Eskimos come at you and they hit to hurt. Their defensive line shows relentless pressure and, preseason be damned, Jones sends guys from all over to get to the quarterback. Not the ideal game in which to start Travis Lulay.

DH :cool:
Glen Suitor on Friday's broadcast said he didn't think Travis L. was likely to get any playing time in the EDM game either. So we look ahead to what the weather will be like Saturday, July 4th in Ottawa. I hope it isn't thunder and lightning again. :cr:
I expect Tedford and the Lions, of necessity, are not counting on much or any play from Travis Lulay.

Arm strength is a problem.

Getting hit and taken to the turf is a problem.

Travis is gamely hanging in there, as one would expect. But reality seems to be staring us in the face.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote: In Beck I think the Lions see a veteran presence in the QB mix that will be extremely important should Lulay either not be ready to go for the opener or should he get hurt later in the season. From what I recall of Lulay's comments re: Beck's work at 3DQB when Lulay first met him he brings some leadership and mentorship intangibles. I've always been a believer in the need for a mix at QB. If you have an established veteran starter you can go young at #2 and #3. If you have a young starter you need a veteran presence to fall back on at #2. I agree Beck has no medium or long term future with the team but what he can do is buy some time in the short term for Jennings and/or McGhee. How things shake out remains to be seen but if Jennings continues to progress I can see Beck being kept not so much to be Lulay's backup but rather to be Jennings' backup should he get thrust into the starting position. Then should Jennings struggle or "shudder" get hurt we aren't tossing the keys to McGhee and another rookie-to-be-named-later or veteran airlifted in. That in turn gives McGhee more time to develop.
I agree, Hambone. Beck is support for the young guys. Take some pressure off.

Beck is not the long term answer. I thought he looked OK in his live reps last year.

It looks like the QB job belongs to Jennings at this point.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnHenry
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:
Travis Partridge last week said he was oblivious to the pending need to perform in the pre-season opener for the B.C. Lions, but when he didn’t come through it was obvious what would come next.

The second-year quarterback was released Sunday, one of two veterans and eight players overall cut in order to reach training camp minimums imposed by the CFL. The numbers for Partridge in the Lions’ 20-6 loss Friday to the Calgary Stampeders weren’t pretty.

The quarterback ran only six plays during three series in the third quarter, and went 2-for-4 passing for three yards, with a sack and interception. It was reflective of the work in training camp of the 24-year-old, who quickly fell behind two rookies, Jon Jennings and Greg McGhee.
Wow, that's a surprise that Partridge is gone this quickly. If Travis L. is unable to start for awhile going into the season, the only other QB on the roster with CFL exposure is Beck (and is he even in the conversation now?)

Tedford/Cortez don't waste any time (and like to gamble).
I guess the release of T. Partridge puts Beck back into the equation? It's a gamble going into the season with such lack of experience at QB, assuming Travis isn't ready to start. But it's often better to go with a young player and have him develop...or at least find out if he can play, rather than going with a stop-gap veteran. The Riders made a colossal error last year benching T. Sunseri for Doege and K. Joseph. They got rid of the latter two and still have no idea about Sunseri. Luckily the Riders may have found a good one in the backup QB who played on Saturday. Franklin also looked good for the Esks. Matt Nichols might be moving down a peg.

I believe the Lions should start J. Jennings next game and keep starting him in the regular season. This would give Travis more time to heal up and be ready for the playoff push, if called upon. That's a lot to ask from a rookie QB but Jennings will have some of the most successful QB coaches in the world at his side, J. Tedford, G. Cortez, W. Buono along with K. Jones, T. Lulay and J. Beck on the sidelines.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Hambone wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:[Thanks for posting that Blitz, very interesting information. I "read" the same thing Joe...good luck to the Riders inheriting that system! I know the fans in Riderville are NOT happy about the coaching changes that were made. Being tentative on either the O or DLines spells trouble.
Actually over in RF.com where the Kool-Aid is brilliant green and thicker than molasses the common belief is that Chapdelaine and Dorazio are upgrades over Cortez and Malone.
We'll check back to see how Darian Durant is doing running to save his life.
LOL. Brilliant.

But there is one thing that is (or was) different with Durant over BC Lion QBs. He's experienced in ridding himself of coaches that aren't to his liking - Berry OC, Marshall - HC. He's been able to do that IMO as he's the Riders' guy. Granted he's older, possibly wiser but if he's running for his life and that OL is like at times in BC where they can't run block as they have a line coach who thinks that is the hardest to teach to PROs - or JC's system (he's older and hopefully now wiser) leaves Durant exposed as he won't call a run unless the fans scream for it (the old JC) - then there could be a lot of manure loads being delivered in Riderville - and the trucks won't wait to season's end.

Angus Reid - there assuring the players it will work is a smart move (but hopefully they can't google Dean Valli as he's been quoted on JC's system in the negative.

I read Benevides was in Riderville, then saw him at the Stamps camp. Why he didn't take a job when offered is a mystery as it will be hard to get back in now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

A few shots from Fan Fest Day practice last weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

A few more. Leo must've sweat buckets inside that suit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Some more.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Last ones