CFL Training Camp

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:TORONTO – There was a little extra zip to the footballs being thrown by Ricky Ray at practice on Thursday.

Despite being freshly activated off of the injured list, the Argos star quarterback is not close to returning.

Still recovering from off-season shoulder surgery, Ray has slowly been increasing the intensity of his practice regiment.

“Today I got to throw a little bit more and it felt better than it has the first few times,” said Ray. “I’m making progress which is a good thing. I still got a ways to go but definitely today was a very positive day.”

According to head coach Scott Milanovich, the team is keeping Ray focused on individual drills rather than having him practice with the team.

He’s coming along. He’s not close yet,” said Milanovich. “Today was a positive step where he threw the ball. He felt a lot stronger but we’re still a ways away.”

Still hopeful that Ray will return sooner rather than later, Milanovich joked that he was trying to get Ray into the team’s first pre-season game on Tuesday against Winnipeg.

That would go against the throwing program that has been set up for Ray, one which he is strictly following.

“What’s just been helping is just doing the strengthening and all the rehab,” said the 35-year-old Ray. “My shoulder’s just still a little bit weak and I got to get it a lot stronger and we’ve been working hard at that this week. I feel like I’m getting some results from it.

“Today I was able to throw it with a little bit more zip, nothing that’s even close to being where I need it to be but to where I was able to actually push through some of the soreness. So it was definitely a positive day for me and hopefully it will continue to do that.”

Ray revealed that he is only allowed to throw a maximum of 25 yards at this stage of his program. He said he did two throwing sets on Thursday, which is an improvement over the single set he was previously permitted.

At this point, Ray said his shoulder wasn't any worse when throwing and that he had the same feeling in it throughout his workout. He is still icing his shoulder after practice to reduce inflammation.

Sims struggling to get reps

There was a lot of buzz surrounding Blake Sims when he signed with the Toronto Argonauts. The ex-Crimson Tide entered training camp to compete for a backup quarterback spot but has struggled thus far to have a chance to prove himself.

“He’s not getting a ton of reps out there which is normal. The other guys are getting reps ahead of him. He’s got a good arm,” said Ray. “When he’s throwing one-on-ones he gets zip on the ball. He can throw it downfield. It’s just him trying to get a grasp of the offence and the more he’s here, the more he is watching.”

Ray also said that it may take until the pre-season until Sims can get some full team reps and it would be there that he would have the chance to play and show what he can do.

A reason for Sims’ lack of snaps could be his late arrival to the team. By the time Sims had signed with the Argos he had already missed crucial development practices that are a typical rookie would take part in.

“He’s behind the 8-ball. He missed the mini-camp, he missed the rookie camp, so he’s behind,” said Milanovich. “Right now he’s trying to get some mental reps, hopefully we’ll start getting him some more team reps as this thing goes along.”

Another hurdle in the way of Sims is adjusting to the CFL game. Coming from the NCAA, there are a lot of adjustments that need to be made according to Ray.

“The ball is different, the field, the extra player, what you’re doing on offence,” said Ray. “There’s a lot of things that your mind has to get used to and it takes time. He’s still in his first week of being out here and learning his game so he’s just trying to take it all in.”
Ray has just been placed on the 6 game injured list and Sims was cut June 7th. Judging from his post-surgery throwing progress, 6 games appears more realistic for Ray than it did for Travis Lulay last season (his first game appearance was in game 8 last year at TOR).

Looks like the Argos have decided to go with their 2 most experienced CFL options, incumbents Harris and Gale.
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-5 ... 20872.html
The Canadian Football League can be a tough place for rookie quarterbacks, and we saw that again Sunday with the Toronto Argonauts' decision to release Blake Sims just nine days after they signed him. Sims, who shone with the Alabama Crimson Tide in 2014 and led them to an SEC championship and a berth in the inaugural College Football Playoff, looked like an impressive signing when the Argonauts picked him up on May 27, especially given his positional versatility and his performance at the college level. He seemed to be in a relatively good position, too, given the ongoing health issues of starter Ricky Ray and the team's lack of depth at quarterback, plus Toronto's decision to sign him to a three-year deal. Plenty of big-name NCAA QBs haven't panned out north of the border, but Sims' stats seemed to suggest he was worth at least a shot. However, it seems that his relatively late arrival and Ray's health issues may have both worked against him.Milanovich says in there (as transcribed by AL.com's Mark Inabinett) that Sims was "behind the eight-ball" thanks to coming in later in the process than the team's other quarterbacks, but he also says "We'll be patient with him. We're not expecting too much too soon." That clearly wasn't the case in the end, but that may not have been entirely Sims' fault. Indeed, it may have been thanks to Ray's ongoing recovery from offseason surgery for a torn labrum; he's been barely throwing so far. Milanovich told media Sunday Sims was the odd man out with the team looking to add a veteran to provide more insurance for Ray's health:

"It was just a situation. We usually try to keep a rookie quarterback as our fourth guy. With Ricky and his shoulder, I think we just thought it was going to be better to look for some veteran guys to possibly fill that spot this year. ... We didn't know what Ricky's scenario was going to be and we still don't. But I don't know if it would be wise not to strengthen that room with a guy that's a veteran, which we haven't done yet but I expect us to soon."

In any event, Sims' quick departure is certainly curious. He reportedly signed a three-year deal with the Argos in May, which is longer than the minimum two-year rookie contract; that would suggest the team saw something in him, at least initially. His college stats would certainly support that too; Sims completed an impressive 64.5 per cent of his passes in 2014, and completion percentage is huge for success in the CFL game. He also threw for 3,487 yards with a 28/10 TD to interception ratio, and he ran 83 times for 350 yards and seven touchdowns; he was quick enough that there was talk he could go pro as a running back or receiver, and mobility can be a huge asset in the CFL (and also should have helped his chances of sticking around, as he provided the Argos with a very different short-yardage option and a different look in the pocket). One knock on him that may have kept him from getting a NFL shot (he was undrafted this year, and didn't receive a contract offer following minicamp tryouts with Green Bay and Washington) was his size; at 6'0'', 208 pounds, he's much shorter than most quarterbacks. However, most CFL passing records are still held by 5'10'', 178-pound Doug Flutie, so if any league's going to take a chance on a smaller guy, it's this one.

Now, it's worth noting that Toronto didn't have many options if they did want to create room for a CFL veteran quarterback. The Argos' first two spots were occupied by Ray and primary backup Trevor Harris (the likely starter if Ray isn't ready to go by the first game), so it came down to Sims, Middle Tennesssee product Logan Kilgore and Abilene Christian product Mitchell Gale. Neither Gale nor Kilgore had the college resume of Sims, but both have more time with the Argos, more time in the CFL and more time in Milanovich's offensive system. That may have helped them save their spots for now.

There are a couple of potential scenarios that could have happened here. One is that the Argos fully intended to give Sims just a short chance to move up the depth chart, and that he didn't show enough in practices to justify keeping him around over Gale or Kilgore. Even if Milanovich's comments about being patient with Sims and setting a low bar for him were accurate, perhaps he didn't clear that bar. Another option is that Ray's injury started looking worse after Sims was signed, forcing the team to change their plans and start looking for a veteran instead. From the outside, it's going to be hard to tell exactly what happened here. It seems unfortunate that Sims didn't get more of a chance in Toronto, though, as his college production and skillset could have made him an exciting CFL player; lots of big-name NCAA quarterbacks haven't been able to make the jump to the CFL, but Sims seemed like a good candidate. We'll see if he gets a shot with another CFL team or not.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

So exactly who would that veteran CFL QB be that Milanovich and Barker expect to sign soon?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:So exactly who would that veteran CFL QB be that Milanovich and Barker expect to sign soon?
Partridge
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
BC 1988
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
DanoT wrote:So exactly who would that veteran CFL QB be that Milanovich and Barker expect to sign soon?
Partridge
The article with that quote is from June 8th. With Ray being placed on the 6-game today, maybe they think they can survive with Harris and Gale until Ray returns.

To me, Harris is their best option right now. He's starting his 4th season in the Argos system.

TIno Sunseri (cut by SSK yesterday) and Partridge are about the same. From what I can see, Dan LeFevour did not play in the Als first preseason game, I wonder if he's recovered from his surgery.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

To answer my own question: The Argos have just signed QB Adrian McPherson...Yikes.

What I remember about him is that he didn't get all that many opportunities over the years and was very ordinary when he did. :shock:
squishy35
Legend

DanoT wrote:To answer my own question: The Argos have just signed QB Adrian McPherson...Yikes.

What I remember about him is that he didn't get all that many opportunities over the years and was very ordinary when he did. :shock:

Emphasis on VERY......
BC 1988
Legend

McPherson and Milanovich have a history together with the Als from 2008-11.

His last CFL play was in 2012. It was ironic that he left just before Calvillo retired. He bounced around the Arena Football League and was signed (but never suited up) with the Stamps in January 2014
I don't think he will be much of a factor with the Argos. (This shows how confident they are that Ray will be back).
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

IIRC , McPherson got hurt and never made it to the Stamps camp.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:To answer my own question: The Argos have just signed QB Adrian McPherson...Yikes.

But he sure knows how to run the 3rd down gambles.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

HAMILTON -- “In the off-season you just want to get better,” says Tiger-Cats quarterback Zach Collaros, and by all accounts, that is exactly what the young quarterback spent his time doing this off-season.

Collaros had considerable success at the helm of the Ticats’ offence last season, leading the team to an 8-3 record down the stretch, including two losses that could have easily been wins.

The 26-year old completed 66.8 per cent of his passes in that stretch following Labour Day, throwing for 277 yards per game while rushing for an additional 28 yards per game on the ground. Over that 11-game stretch heading into the playoffs, Collaros threw for 14 touchdowns and just seven interceptions, while rushing for an additional two touchdowns.

Yet despite that proficiency, the outlook appears even brighter for Collaros in the new season thanks to the work he put in over the course of the off-season.

“Going back and watching the film, I talked with Tommy [Condell] and Kent [Austin] and found some deficiencies,” says Collaros, “I read up on some stuff and got some advice from those guys, and just worked at it every day.”

Collaros was effective in 2014, but he was still gaining an understanding of the deeper nuances of the Ticats’ offence. Now, with a full off-season of studying and 13 games in the system under his belt, he feels much more confident about what he’s doing, and that starts with knowing what everyone else is doing.

“I have better chemistry with the guys, they know what to expect from me, I know what to expect from them,” explains Collaros. “Any time you can get to that level, where everybody trusts each other to do their jobs, you’re going to be a better football team.”

Offensive coordinator Tommy Condell, echoing his quarterback, says that Collaros’ main improvement has been his understanding of the playbook, which has allowed him to concentrate more on fundamentals and technique.

“His eye fixes and eye scans are much quicker, so he’s able to get his body into position to throw a lot better,” says Condell, adding that the improvements all come back to Collaros’ dedication to studying the game.

His offensive coordinator is not the only coach that Collaros has impressed; head coach Kent Austin is very happy with what he’s seen from the second-year starter since he arrived at camp.

“Things are slower for him,” says Austin, “which means it’s faster in his processing.”

According to Austin, Collaros benefits from what he calls a “tremendous recall”, something that has made him a key contributor in the classroom, and a better player on the field.

“As we continue to install things from last year, he’s had a tremendous recall on how to execute it,” expands Austin, “[he knows] which concept it is, what category it falls under, and what his directional reads and progressional reads are.”

It would be reasonable to think that Collaros’ increased knowledge of the offence may reduce the need to create plays on the fly; however, coach Condell explains that this is probably not the case, because these types of plays are not all outside of the plan.

“We call it the ‘jazz session’,” he says. “There is a little improvisation, but there is a structure that needs to be defined, worked and we need to make sure we do the fundamentals within that play.”

He explains that once a play breaks down, it does not become a free-for-all out there; instead, the team simply moves onto the ‘jazz session’, in which the players still have loosely structured roles to play. It’s a necessity to structure in those types of plays when you’ve got an athlete who can do what Collaros does, says Condell, but it still requires a plan.

Collaros gives credit to the veteran players around him, guys like Bakari Grant and Andy Fantuz, for knowing how to get open in those situations and says that the team will be ready when those situations present themselves again this season.

“We were able to move the chains with it last year and score some touchdowns,” says the Ticats quarterback, “when it’s needed we’ve done a good job with it and we’re just going to continue to improve.”
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MONTREAL – In a way, this is the first Alouettes training camp for Anthony Calvillo. A statement that was true in 1998 is factual in a different sort of way in 2015.

The legendary quarterback is trading in his helmet for a headset, entering his first season as a coach for the same franchise where he found the most success. However his job title is not exactly what one may think.

That’s because Calvillo is a receivers coach. You wouldn’t be blamed for assuming that a man with Calvillo’s resume on the field would make him instantly qualified to guide quarterbacks instead of wideouts. But according to his new boss, head coach Tom Higgins, there are different guidelines when it comes to gaining your chops on the sidelines.

“I know a lot of people are thinking ‘That’s crazy, why wouldn’t he coach quarterbacks?’ Well in order to develop your coaching repertoire, it’s better to be out of your comfort zone,” said Higgins. “Which is not really that far out of his comfort zone coaching the receivers. A talented receiving corps that is being coached by a very good football coach, by the end of the season could be great.”

That vaunted receiving corps took a hit in the off-season with the departure of Duron Carter to the NFL and the retirement of Brandon London. Still, the Alouettes added Sam Giguere and slotback S.J. Green remains with the team. Green spent seven seasons as Calvillo's teammate.

The paths of Higgins and Calvillo nearly crossed before. A month after Calvillo announced his retirement from football, Higgins was hired as the new head coach of the Alouettes. Despite being a 20-year CFL veteran, Calvillo is still anxious to receive mentorship from his fellow coaching colleagues. That duty has fallen to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Turk Schonert, while Higgins focuses more on the organizational administrative details with his new pupil.

While Calvillo remains a rookie in the coaching world, it’s been two decades since he was last called that on a team. He spent his first year in the league with the Las Vegas Posse before being chosen first overall by Hamilton in the dispersal draft. After three seasons with the Ticats, Calvillo signed with the Alouettes, and the rest, as they say, is history.

That detailed history with Montreal includes a retired jersey, three Grey Cup rings, three Most Outstanding Player awards and four CFL all-star teams. Cavlillo’s career passing yards total is tops in all of professional football history.

Now, Calvillo is going from throwing to receivers to teaching them where to be. But it’s still a learning curve for him. The Los Angeles, Cal. native wants to make sure what he is telling his students is right when answering their questions.

“All their splits, their depth on their routes, all that stuff I’m going to have to spit out as quick as possible,” said Calvillo, who added that players call him A.C. or Coach A.C. “We have a lot of plays, so there’s times where I might say ‘listen, I’m going to get back to you because I want to make sure that its correct.’ But for the most part I got to make sure that I have them ready, I can answer their questions and get them ready week in and week out.”

How much has really changed for Calvillo? Always known for being one of the first players to show up to practice, Calvillo says he is continuing that habit but is more exhausted than he was when he had the pads on. Between preparation for practice and film review, Calvillo finds he is getting less sleep in his sideline role.

“That’s the one I did not realize. I remember seeing the coaches during camp, when you get six days into and they look tore up,” he said. “Right now, I’m in that position along with the other coaches. You get tired. You’re going to bed late, you’re getting up early, and the thing is you don’t have time for a nap in the afternoon like you did as a player.”

Higgins says that Calvillo brings a youthful energy to the coaching staff even as a 42-year-old. It could be awkward for Calvillo, now giving orders to some of the players with whom he used to be teammates. Admitting he doesn’t know much about receivers, Calvillo believes that his playing days with Montreal give him some respect and credibility in the locker room. He’s thankful for offensive assistant Andre Bolduc who he works closely with to mentally prepare the players each day.

Calvillo wants to educate his group on the habits and skills that are needed to be successful on and off the field. He’s able to find that he can demonstrate based on experience.

“I’m going to try to teach my receivers the ability to study, how to be a professional week in and week out and really, what it takes not to be an average player, but a great player and how much dedication that’s involved with that. Also about leadership. Those are things I’m trying to bring to my position and I think that’ll help us win as well.”

Learning about playing a different position is challenging even if you consider the relationship between a pivot and receiver to be a close one. Calvillo is learning to appreciate the intricacies of each part of the football team.

“Each position is unique. For me as a quarterback when I played, I knew where everybody had to be, period, but I didn’t know how they had to run their routes, what were their splits, I didn’t know all that.

“As a receivers coach, I have to make sure I know their splits, their depth and their routes, their adjustments on splits, all the different formations. It’s a different challenge because you have so many plays in your head.”

Like they did for so many years, if the Alouettes can have faith in someone stepping up to the task of improving the players around him, it’s Calvillo.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Partridge
Nah, Calgary will pick him up.
Blitz
Team Captain

One player who I think is in a precarious time is Courtenay Taylor. Burnham has had a great camp and has great hands. Jeffers-Lewis has impressed and Vizzi looks very good too.

Cord Parks played great at wide side corner two season ago...not so good at short side halfback last year....a reason he was returned to the corner. In the meantime, Lee, who began last season as a backup has pretty well been given the short side halfback spot. Parks is also another player who does not have his spot locked up.

We haven't seen Lawrence as a returner yet but as a National he could also become our future backup tailback and return man.

In terms of Rammer's comments on recruiting I don't consider Buono's work stellar in this area and we can count on one hand the number of starters we've had as Nationals - mostly due to the work of Kelly Bates. Tedford played an important role in this season's CFL draft.

Most of the new real International talent we've have in camp this season is due to Tedford's connections.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

KAMLOOPS — Tim Brown became the sixth player cut by general manager Wally Buono to be signed by his Alberta counterpart, John Hufnagel.
's
Calgary keeps signing Buono"cast offs'. Its interesting, especially since Calgary has been so successful.

What I don't like is our Leos are having tryouts for the key position of punt returner...with 10 players trying out at practice today.....this is not what should be having at this stage of training camp.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Even though I'm not happy about the release of Taylor, Brown, and Logan and unsure how I feel about the release of Torri Williams, I do like the fact that it appears that Wally really is allowing Tedford to make this team his own.

While one does have to expect some wholesale changes with the new coaching regime, the amount of young guys and rookies is unsettling. Returning veteran leaders on D: Philips, Bighill, Eliminium, Kareem Smith; on O: Lulay (maybe and for how long?), Harris, Taylor (currently injured and might be in tough to make the roster), Valli (many Lionbackers think he is best as a backup), Iannuzi and Gore (not really vets or leaders) Olafoye (top notch player but still young and doesn't seem to be a vocal leader type). As far as veteran leadership goes, the cupboard is getting kinda bare but hopefully coach Tedford can provide the leadership and discipline that the Lions need.