CFL Guess Who

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CFLFootballCards
prospect

Hi folks,
Brand new to the forum, though I'm a longtime lurker. Thought you guys might have some fun playing a little game I've been rolling with on Twitter (@CFLfootballcards).
Without Google or any other resource other than your razor-sharp memories, can you tell who this is?
Winner gets... internet kudos accompanied by unimaginable fame and, well, certainly not fortune. :2cents: :beauty:
CFLGuessWho2004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

No Google, huh? I say Carl Kidd.
squishy35
Legend

Barrin Simpson?
David
Team Captain

Carl Kidd for sure. I tried to read just half of the back of the card but needed to read all of it before figuring out Carl Kidd, #26. I thought he went to Arkansas Pine-Bluff though from what I recall, not University of Arkansas?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Yes, no-brainer. Kidd played at Arkansas, wore number 26, joined the Lions in 2000,.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Carl Kidd hands down.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Funny the card never mentioned that time at the end of the 2002 WSF when he laid a beatdown on that drunken Wpg fan.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I saw the number and the first sentence or two. Carl Kidd.... Didn't read more than that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

man, you guys are all either very smart, or very squishy
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

#26 Carl Kidd who sent the Lions an RB. Who was that RB?
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Carl Kidd for sure. I tried to read just half of the back of the card but needed to read all of it before figuring out Carl Kidd, #26. I thought he went to Arkansas Pine-Bluff though from what I recall, not University of Arkansas?

Both interpretations could be correct. UofAR has a multi-campus system similar to UofCalif (Davis, Irvine, LA, Santa Cruz, San Diego, etc), with one of the campuses in Pine Bluff. So perhaps he attended that one.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Kidd was born and attended high school in Pine Bluff, which is in the Little Rock area, but he played for the real University of Arkansas Razorbacks in Fayetteville, the school that plays in the SEC West and won its only national championship in the 1964-65 season as a member of the old Southwest Conference. I fell in love with that undersized team, which included future football legends Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson, who were both linemen. I've been waiting 50 years for the Razorbacks to win another national championship. You probably won't find all of that information on a football card.
David
Team Captain

You're right. I think I was mixing up Arkansas and Arkansas Pine-Bluff, which is where Carl Kidd went on to coach. He recommended Martell Mallett to the Lions.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CFLFootballCards
prospect

Carl Kidd it is! One of my all-time favourite Lions.
CarlKiddF_zpspkq6itix.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.