Mitchell brothers reunited in Calgary

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CFL.ca Staff
With files from Stampeders.com

CALGARY – It’s not often that two brothers get to play on the same professional football team.

The Mitchell brothers – Bo Levi and Cory - are hoping to change that.

The duo are one step closer to turning their childhood dream into a reality after the Stampeders signed Bo Levi’s older brother Cory to a deal.

The pair will now trade in their memories of football from college to the turf of the CFL gridiron.

Bo Levi, two years younger, is already the star quarterback for Calgary. Now he has the chance to target his brother downfield.

What may be a new experience for CFL fans is nothing out of the ordinary for the Mitchell brothers.

“It’s an awesome opportunity for him to get out and try and make a professional football team,” said Bo Levi. “It’s something we’ve been through in college, going through Eastern Washington. It’s not going to be a shock to us. We’ve answered all the questions before.”

Cory played five years of college football at Eastern Washington, catching 101 passes for 1,439 yards and 10 touchdowns. He has spent some time as a kick returner as well but was limited to eight games last season because of an injury. The brothers spent two years together playing for the Eagles.

Along with playing in college, Cory recollects that the duo also played on the same baseball team growing up. Despite being the older brother, he is looking to his sibling for advice.

“It’s going to be a lot of learning, that’s why it helps to have a brother as a quarterback, I guess,” said Cory. “Take him home, have him teach me some stuff. I’m looking forward to it, it looks like a really fun league, especially being a receiver with a bigger field.”

The brothers are looking forward to growing their bond on the field. Bo Levi thinks that they already have on-field chemistry despite having never played together under CFL rules. It’s the experiences off the field when the two were younger that he believes will add to that connection.

“Honestly, it is a big benefit. We’ve grown up (together) and know the timing with each other. Now it’s just my job to make sure the guy gets to learn the playbook,” said Bo Levi. “I keep his head on right, and that’s what he’s done for me. He’s been my mentor for a very long time, he’s kept me out of trouble a lot in high school and college. He’s a guy that I look up to and I’m glad he’s got the opportunity.”

While Cory has already seen a lot of Bo Levi’s games, it is his Grey Cup win that stands out as the most memorable victory of his brother. It’s a moment he hopes they can share together soon.

Since becoming Calgary’s starting pivot almost two seasons ago, Bo Levi has become one of the more popular members of the Stampeders. If there’s one person who isn’t awestruck, though, it’s Cory.

“I don’t realize that he’s a big deal up here (in Calgary),” said Cory. “He’s still my little brother when we get home. Sometimes we go places and people want to talk to him, so it’s kind of cool.”

Cory knows that he has a tough road ahead of him because of Calgary’s deep receiving corps. For now, he’s just going to heed his brother’s advice of working hard, studying film and not getting down on
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

meh

bo isn't doug and cory isn't daren. been there, done that, better
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Tighthead
Legend

Artie and Jim are the Mitchell brothers, emeritus.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

For a second there I was thinking, what, did the Als ship Khalif off to Cgy after that holocaust thing on twitter? And who's his brother supposed to be anywa... ooohhhh.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:meh

bo isn't doug and cory isn't daren. been there, done that, better
That was special times the Flutie brothers in BC. However I thought at the time that Darren had been brought in just as a token for older brother Doug. Little did I realize that Darren would have the most significant contribution to the Lions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

http://www.goeags.com/genrel/releases/1 ... rymitchell

Q and A with the older brother on Eastern Washington website from 2013

Interesting story or so it seems.

He might find it hard to crack that team and who knows if it becomes another Darren Flutie story.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy