Supplemental Draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers added to last week's CFL Draft haul on Wednesday, selecting defensive back/linebacker Garrett Waggoner in the CFL Supplemental Draft.

Waggoner, six-foot-one, 225 pounds, was one of two players available in Wednesday's draft, the other being defensive back Jarret Chapman. While Chapman wound up going unselected, the Bombers will forfeit their original 2016 first round pick in order to acquire Waggoner.

The 24-year-old Sarasota, Fla. native played in the most games (42) of any Dartmouth football player in history. He played five seasons there, earning All-Ivy League First Team for a second straight season in 2013, while starting all ten games. He finished fifth in team tackles with 48, and third in passes defended with six.

Waggoner had a solid senior season in 2012, receiving the Bob Blackman Award given to the Big Green player who contributed most to the success of the team He started all 10 games at free safety, contributing at least one tackle in every contest, while finishing tied for the team lead in interceptions with two.

The CFL Supplemental Draft allows every team a shot at each player involved. Teams bid on one player at a time, and the team willing to bid the highest original draft pick of the following year is awarded the player.

Paul Pearson, Ted Laurent, Jeremy O'Day and Noel Prefontaine are notable Supplemental Draft selections in the past, while last year defensive back Mike Dubuisson was selected by Edmonton.

After being selected, Waggoner now becomes a third-generation CFLer. His father was a draft pick of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and his grandfather played for the Ticats from 1951 to 1957. Waggoner recently became a Canadian citizen.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to LU, the Lions were one of four teams that offered to give up their 2016 first-round pick for Waggoner. That's highly unusual. The Bombers got him because they have the highest waiver claim order. The Lions are still left with little Canadian depth at safety behind Chris Rwabukamba.
Lions not playing safe to replace safety
David
Team Captain

The Bombers must be extremely confident in this guy's ability. My guess is they will try him at nickel. But giving up a 2016 1st rounder (in what is becoming a very deep and talented CFL draft pool) is quite a steep price for a 24-year old IMO.

I guess this means we'll be moving up a slot next year if Winnipeg has forfeited their 1st round pick. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:The Bombers must be extremely confident in this guy's ability. My guess is they will try him at nickel. But giving up a 2016 1st rounder (in what is becoming a very deep and talented CFL draft pool) is quite a steep price for a 24-year old IMO.

I guess this means we'll be moving up a slot next year if Winnipeg has forfeited their 1st round pick. :thup:

DH :cool:
No real need for a slot, that is an I position. :

As many of the supplemental draft selections that succeed also seem to fail. However not as many go for a first rounder, which tells you that he is considered to be the real deal, especially when a couple of teams were willing to give up a first rounder. Funny that the Lions did, they could have had Butler for some extra coin and didn't make that move....sigh.
Entertainment value = an all time low