Khalif is still at it . . .

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Kamloops Lion
All Star

When he's not trying to break arms on the field, he's trying to break facts off the field.
Wow:
http://deadspin.com/cfl-team-investigat ... 1704491491
Rammer
Team Captain

Kamloops Lion wrote:When he's not trying to break arms on the field, he's trying to break facts off the field.
Wow:
http://deadspin.com/cfl-team-investigat ... 1704491491
Sometimes a person is too smart for even themselves. I bet he is just trying to provoke discussion.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No longer Lions' problem. Thank goodness.
Big Time
Champion

I was very critical of Khalif both for his earlier incident around the Chinese community, to his throat slashing gestures which he tried to BS as giving the sign of a cross. Some disagreed about how sincere Mitchell was and felt he deserved another chance. While I did not share this opinion, I did feel that he was young and immature, and thought that perhaps under the right mentorship, he could turn into a proper professional. My observation, however, was that I didn't feel that he was disciplined enough to maintain any transformation, and after a poor last season with the Lions, I did not miss him when he was cut a few years ago.

Sadly, what's happening now in Montreal is yet another example of how little growth Mitchell has shown as an individual. He still relies on BS excuses to cover up the ignorance of his actions. His immaturity and quite frankly, his stupidity, is on full display here. He's 30 years old now. If he doesn't understand how to act and how not to act in public at this age, he likely never will. The CFL and the Als have indicated they have fined him but I would not be surprised if he is cut and does not find another job in the CFL. Just ask Arland Bruce how being "outspoken" worked out for him.

Very glad Mitchell is no longer a Lion.
Big Time
Champion

Btw, this thing is only just beginning to blow up: http://deadspin.com/cfl-team-investigat ... 1704491491. I doubt Khalif makes it to training camp.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

When I saw the National Post headline "Montreal Alouettes player accused of using Twitter to promote Holocaust denial" I knew right away it was most likely KM.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl ... ust-denial
by Sean Fitz-Gerald | May 14, 2015 3:40 PM ET

Hours after a prominent Jewish organization issued a news release to criticize a Canadian Football League player for “divisive and hateful” messages on social media that included links to a video denying the Holocaust, Khalif Mitchell, a veteran defensive lineman, said “none of my tweets speak to anything that’s anti-Semitic.”

B’nai Brith Canada issued a news release on Thursday to announce it had reached out to the Montreal Alouettes about Mitchell, who signed a three-year contract with the team in February, and who posts as @TruthWillFree96 on Twitter.

“While understanding that we cannot judge the stream of consciousness of individuals who share offbeat Internet postings, these repugnant tweets are shameful not just to Mr. Mitchell, but the entire Alouettes organization which he represents by displaying its logo and proudly donning its jersey on his twitter account,” Michael Mostyn, chief executive of B’nai Brith Canada, said in the release.

At issue is a series of messages from Mitchell made earlier this month, in which the 30-year-old provides a link to a self-described documentary titled: “The greatest lie ever told — The Holocaust – 2015.”

Within the first minute of the so-called film, the narrator references the Holocaust as the “alleged murder” of six million Jews.

Both the league and the team leveled punishment on Thursday. The CFL announced it would fine him an undisclosed amount for violating the league’s social media policy.

“While we acknowledge that players have a right to hold and express their own opinions, in no circumstance do we condone activity or comments that are derogatory or inappropriate, putting the league’s reputation in question,” commissioner Jeffrey Orridge said in a release. “And we feel Mr. Mitchell’s recent posts on social media have violated these principles.”

The Alouettes announced another fine, on top of the one from the league.

“His postings are disappointing and in no way reflect the opinions and values of the Montreal Alouettes Football Club,” team president Mark Weightman said in a release.

On Thursday afternoon, Mitchell said he came across the video as part of his “research” into the Holocaust. He said he was moved to look into it after “somebody said the Germans hate the Jews.”

“And so I asked a German person, ‘does German people hate Jewish people?’ And they said no,” he said.

Mitchell would not say whether the Alouettes had been in contact on Thursday. He said he had been inundated by a barrage of messages on Twitter.

“I believe the Holocaust happened,” he said. “I believe that people died at the Holocaust. I believe that the Holocaust is an example of pure hatred, in its purest sense, on this earth, that we even know of — and that we should look into it and examine it for its authenticity, to understand how much hate could have been amassed on one people.”

He said he planned to reach out to B’nai Brith.

“My opinion is not that the Holocaust did not happen,” Mitchell said. “My opinion is that the Jews and the Germans don’t have a hate/blood relationship as being perpetuated in the media. And that is my view.”

The video is a rambling 77 minutes filled with often incoherent passages claiming to disprove the scope of the Holocaust.

“As an all-star and role model for Canadian youth,” Mostyn said in the release, “Mr. Mitchell should not be sending out divisive and hateful tweets under the banner of the Montreal Alouettes organization.”

Mitchell has already come under fire for his use of social media. The CFL fined him an undisclosed amount three years ago after he posted a message that included derogatory terminology for people of Chinese descent.

“In the modern age we are free to disagree with the actions of police or government, however directing hate towards men and women in uniform, coupled with his numerous repostings of Holocaust denial videos, have crossed the line and are beyond the pale,” Mostyn said in the release.

Mitchell was asked if he was concerned the incident would cost him his job.

“My opinion is protected by the First Amendment in my country,” the U.S.-born player said. “If there comes a point upon which my job will be threatened by my personal opinions, then I think we fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. constitution.”
This First Amendment/"free speech" card he's playing is a crock. http://xkcd.com/1357/

Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Big Time
Champion

This response is just purrfect. It also confirms beyond a shadow of a doubt: Khalif Mitchell is an idiot.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

How to wear out a welcome ...

Open mouth. Insert foot.

It is sad. There has been much goodwill, tolerance and patience regarding Khalif. Within that phenomenal athlete is a troubled guy.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I hope the league is finally going to get rid of him now, but probably not
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I hope the league is finally going to get rid of him now, but probably not
This could be the first test for the new Commissioner.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm not for the guy losing his job. We've become too quick these days to fire people. I'd prefer that people can be educated to learn how stupid they are or wrong and then do something positive for society to redeem themselves.

Khalif was protected by Benevides and the Lions and if they were smart they should have sat him down and laid it out for him:

More of this will cost you your job. Khalif do you understand? Yes, Great. Now play football.

Seriously this guy has a problem to say this:
Mitchell was asked if he was concerned the incident would cost him his job.

“My opinion is protected by the First Amendment in my country,” the U.S.-born player said. “If there comes a point upon which my job will be threatened by my personal opinions, then I think we fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. constitution.”
Canada and the CFL do not fall under the US Constitution.

Not all football players have the same talent or intellect. Not all are like Jason Jimenez who actually not only is articulate, he is knowledgeable.
Khalif - not so much.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

In most situations I am in favour of giving second chances and sometimes even third chances. However this is Kalif's fourth time afaik screwing up and responding to mistakes in an equally inappropriate and somewhat incoherent manner. He isn't even capable of figuring out he should just stop tweeting.

I think the man has mental health issues and should seek counseling/treatment.

I don't want to see him play any longer in the CFL.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

As per this tweet from KM today, the following joint statement has been issued by KM, B'Nai Brith Canada and the CFLPA:

http://bnaibrith.ca/2015/05/15/khalif-m ... statement/

The text of the statement is embedded in an image file that accordingly cannot be quoted and is also too large to embed here.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:As per this tweet from KM today, the following joint statement has been issued by KM, B'Nai Brith Canada and the CFLPA:

http://bnaibrith.ca/2015/05/15/khalif-m ... statement/

The text of the statement is embedded in an image file that accordingly cannot be quoted and is also too large to embed here.
I would like to believe that, at heart, Khalif is a good person.

His perceptions of the world, at times, draw questions. His communications can draw questions. His behaviour on the football field has drawn questions.

I think his words and actions in meeting with B'nai B'rith sound appropriate, and it is gratifying to hear the forgiveness and understanding expressed by Mr. Mostyn.

Last chapter in the wayward steps of Khalif Mitchell? Probably not.

Some will forgive, and some will not. Khalif is fortunate that Mr. Mostyn is so understanding.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

What is interesting and heartening for me is how the CFL, the PA and the Montreal Alouettes handled this all honestly, thoroughly and immediately - showing that there is a lack of tolerance for this sort of thing.

The Eagles did the same when the Riley Cooper issue came out. They told him to go outside the stadium/offices and face the media. He did and it was genuine - only resurfacing when the NFL had him on their third party produced calendar as the face of Black History Month.

Let's hope he learns. But let's face ENTIRE nations don't and won't learn. Japan and their WW 2 atrocities including forced comfort women (Koreans) and the rape of Nan King etc. They refuse to admit this. Even Chancellor Merkl advised them subtly to 'just do it' and move on. They won't.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy