2015 CFL Draft Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

pennw wrote:Good post Frank , while I admit to being as surprised as any one at our top pick , I agree with your logic . You pick the guy's YOU believe are the best picks for YOUR own Team . The whole 'best guy available' logic does not always make sense when you have a backlog at that position and only will have to cut one extra guy there . If you need D linemen ,thenthat is what you should pick , not receivers etc.
We all wanted to have a new Coach who called his own shots and had all the credentials and that is what we are getting here . If we do get Boyko , then BC probably has the best draft of all and if we end up with Covington a few years down the road , even better. There were guys on the Rider's message board , in their draft thread ,that were calling for their Team to pick Boyko , Covington, Lawrence, Maxx Forde and were disappointed each time BC picked one of those guys.
I for one am glad we did not pick any of the receivers because we already got too many we don't use , no need to add more to the back log there. Covington was a freebee anyways , we basically got him for Haidara, a guy we never used and probably would have been cut this year .
I'm usually a believer in "best available" but like beauty "best available" is in the eye of the beholder. Just because central scouting ranks players one way doesn't mean each and every club sees them the same because central scouting can't factor in the needs and existing depth of the individual teams. Fans love to take the scouting bureau rankings and blogger rankings and run with them as absolute gospel. We also tend to treat the rankings like they were built on the Richter Scale with a big gap between one rank and the next. While that could be the case in a poor draft year with no depth in a deep draft year like this it's more like splitting hairs one player to the next and indeed over a range of players. In a shallow draft there could be a cavernous drop off between #5 spot and that of a #17 ranked player. In a deep draft like this teams can ignore the rankings and draft for needs because there is so little difference over a range of players.

Like you and Frank I agree that it was unlikely Mrabure-Ajufo would be available at 14. If BC had him ranked #5 and took him there tells me their thinking re: the first 4 picks was in line with that of several other teams. If they were in sync with the competition on the first 4 then there is no reason to think they stood alone in thinking EMA was a much better prospect than the late 2nd round speculation. While Waud and Tennant were higher ranked in the December rankings than EMA both seem more suitable to nose tackle and neither offer potential to contribute on special teams. EMA is a much better fit for what BC needs than the other two who seem rather one dimensional in what they bring.

I like the Boyko gamble. He was ranked #1 overall in the September and December rankings which didn't include Covington or Durant. When he signed as a UDFA with Philly he was one of 4 OL UDFAs signed at the same time. He's expected to have to switch positions from tackle to guard to make it in the NFL. As a UDFA having to learn a new position he's anything but a lock to make the Eagles. He has the raw tools to be kept around for a while but will still be in a battle all the way. Even the Covington flyer could pay off eventually. He is a bit undersized for an NFL tackle. Perhaps he will have to switch to end or bulk up to have an extended NFL career.

While the path may not have been what some foresaw when one looks at Duane Forde's positional rankings BC came out of the draft with the #1, #3 & #4 ranked DL, #1 & #10 ranked OL, #2 ranked RB, #3 ranked LB and an unranked DB. It's interesting looking at his comments on the guys BC drafted and some they passed on:

DL Drafted:
1. Christian Covington, Rice: Some had projected him as an NFL First Round pick before a dislocated knee cut short his 2014 season.
3. Maxx Forde, Idaho: Despite spending five years in a D1 program, his athleticism, frame, and intelligence suggest that he still has significant upside.
4. Ese Mrabure-Ajufo, Wilfrid Laurier: His frame is a little slender to play nose but he has the athleticism to contribute at tackle and on special teams.

DL Passed:
2. Daryl Waud, Western: He's athletic although probably not explosive enough to play anywhere other than nose...and could even be switched to OL.
6. Brandon Tennant, Laval: He won't overwhelm anyone athletically but he's a classic nose tackle - stout, physical, and aggressive.

OL Drafted:
1. Brett Boyko, Nevada-Las Vegas: By NFL standards he may lack the quickness to play OT and the strength to play OG...but still projects as a CFL tackle.
10. Campbell Allison, Eastern Michigan: He's somewhat limited athletically and would be better equipped to compete in the CFL at a lighter weight.

OL Passed:
3. Danny Groulx, Laval: At 25 years old, he's likely closer to his ceiling than other top prospects.
6. Jacob Ruby, Richmond: He may struggle with quickness at OT and, at 6'6", will need to learn to play with better leverage, whether he's at OT or OG.
7. Karl Lavoie, Laval: He's technically a better player than his Rouge et Or linemate Groulx but has always struggled to stay above 280 lbs.

LB Drafted:
3: Adrian Clarke, Bishop's: He's inconsistent in terms of physical play and instincts but his remarkable athleticism suggests high special teams potential.

RB Drafted:
2. Shaquille Murray-Lawrence, Nevada-Las Vegas: Possesses the speed to regularly break contain but he is equally effective running between the tackles...also a willing pass blocker.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Rammer wrote:Tell me I am wrong, but this draft hinges on Boyko becoming a Lion. Past that I see a lot of ST players for a supposedly deep draft year
I find it odd that a club that prides itself on annually drafting 'the best athlete,' ends up drafting based on need, at least in Round 1. And then basically admitting he's a depth player behind Jabar Westerman at the 5 technique (defensive end).

Not to beat this one to death, but I think they squandered a first round pick in this draft. Here's my reasoning. They could have taken a local kid (Durant, whom I think is going to be a stud receiver) or Jacob Ruby (Hunter Steward is our only National tackle) - even Danny Groulx would have been a safe, smart choice in Round 1. Since no one else really needed a D-lineman and Ese was ranked #17, it's a safe bet he would have been around in Round 2, 14th overall. Moreover, Boyko would likely have still been around in Round 3 (assuming they wanted to go with another O-lineman) as teams were scared off by him signing with the Eagles.

So it could have been Durant (keeping him out of our rival's hands), Ruby, or Groulx, then Mrabure-Ajufo in the Round 2, then Boyko in Round 3. I am pleased they took Shaquille Murray-Lawrence as it would have been a calculated risk that he still would have been on the board in Round 4. He can back up Harris, and possibly push him a bit.

DH :cool:
Wally has been less consistent in recent years in his statements and if the media held him to account for that he'd look contradictory.

However, his inconsistencies have increased (a few ONLY - not a lot) since he is no longer the dual roled GM and HC.

Did JC and the Riders pass as he was unable to convince them of Durant OR did QB Durant say NO - I"m the only Durant in town OR the HC and others value other issues/needs/players. OR is Durant's ego the issue and JC wondered if he's mature for the pros.

Ese looks like a super in shape athlete but then again so will everyone else at TC look like that. I agree with David. He'd be there in Round 2 as likely would Boyko who - if he 's think NFL that hard - won't be giving up at one NFL tryout cut.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

I think that if the Riders took Durant it would have been because of JC, that they didn't indicates that he wasn't going to bank his newly established coaching career on Durant. That in itself tells you a lot about Durant without a word.
Entertainment value = an all time low