Lions add QB Aaron Wilmer

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html

VANCOUVER — Head coach Jeff Tedford — reputed as the "quarterback whisperer" after six of his QBs with the California Golden Bears were taken in the first round of the NFL draft — is becoming a quarterback herder with the B.C. Lions.

The latest to join his stable is Aaron Wilmer, an NCAA Division III quarterback from Delaware Valley University who is one of 26 pivots at the NCAA level to have thrown for 10,000 yards and rushed for 1,000 more in his college career.

"Blessed to be part of this (Lions) organization," Wilmer said on his Twitter account.

Wilmer, a Philadelphia native whose dream was to play for the Eagles, worked out with the National Football League team in April, before the draft. Head coach Chip Kelly, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and quarterbacks coach Ryan Day put Wilmer through positional drills that gave the undersized (5-10), dual-threat, strong-armed quarterback a long-shot hope of being selected.

"Obviously it's an uphill battle for me because I've got so many people concerned about my height," Wilmer admitted to reporters.

Signing as an undrafted free agent was a better possibility. When that didn't transpire, Wilmer was free to join the Lions, becoming the third rookie and seventh quarterback on the roster.

Veteran quarterback Travis Lulay, holdovers John Beck, Travis Partridge and Jordan Rodgers, plus first-year players Jon Jennings and Greg McGhee attended the Lions' three-day mini-camp last week. B.C. is also taking UBC first-year QB Michael O'Connor to training camp, as a candidate in the league's Canadian Quarterback Development Program.

"Aaron has a very strong arm and his athleticism is well suited to our (CFL) game," Lions GM Wally Buono said in a news release. "His signing not only demonstrates the value of our free-agent camps, but also the kind of competition we are creating at all positions heading into the season."

The Lions' rookie camp is scheduled for May 28 in Kamloops. Veterans report for the start of the main camp on May 31.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... z3ZUiVDGSm
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not likely the Lions are bringing 7 QB's to training camp. Wonder who they will cut to make room.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He looks like a real good fit for the CFL. Strong arm. Reads the D. Finds his receivers. Elusive. Fast.

Smurf size. As in Russell Wilson. :wink: That would be nice.

Time was, all those smallish guys came to the CFL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Not likely the Lions are bringing 7 QB's to training camp. Wonder who they will cut to make room.
According to LU, Wally is willing to bring 9 QBs to Kamloops and let Tedford evaluate them there. He has 8 so far, including UBC's Michael O’Connor, and could make it 9 if Terrelle Pryor, recently cut by Kansas City, decides to come to the CFL.

Ullrich: Eight QBs is barely enough for the Lions
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I talked yesterday with my best "American" friend, who is from Delaware, about Wilmer and he was very excited to hear that he landed with us. "Delaware" has a great football mind and I haven't heard him rave about a College kid like this before. He said that Wilmer is a winner and a competitor first and foremost. He said think of Doug Flutie in terms of his "style" of play. He can drop back in the pocket (3 step, 5 step) make a read and hum a pinpoint pass into the chest of the target, but is at his best when he breaks down pressure and scrambles. He said that Delaware literally kills teams in this mode and he finds open receivers for big gains or takes off and picks up big yards. He said that teams began to defence him by not aggressively rushing and keeping him in the pocket and then looking to limit his vision, but that of course opens up other options. So we will see what happens, but this isn't "just another TC fodder" in the opinion of Delaware, he can flat out play!

Here's to a great draft on Tuesday!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Not likely the Lions are bringing 7 QB's to training camp. Wonder who they will cut to make room.
According to LU, Wally is willing to bring 9 QBs to Kamloops and let Tedford evaluate them there. He has 8 so far, including UBC's Michael O’Connor, and could make it 9 if Terrelle Pryor, recently cut by Kansas City, decides to come to the CFL.

That is insane.

They don't have enough reps for 4 or QBs typically when they are working to get ready to play real games. Double that?!!! WB - at times- will say pretty much anything to justify a position....lol
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnHenry
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

That is insane.

They don't have enough reps for 4 or QBs typically when they are working to get ready to play real games. Double that?!!! WB - at times- will say pretty much anything to justify a position....lol
This training camp will be special because the Lions have perhaps two of the best QB coaches the world on their staff, J. Tedford & G. Cortez. I saw a video clip of Cortez coaching the QB's in Buffalo and he is terrific. The Lions have a unique opportunity to evaluate and develop several top QB prospects, which could keep the Lions (and the league) stocked with premier young QB's for years to come. The Lions might need a "QB mini-camp" integrated into training camp, to make sure all the QB's get an opportunity to show their stuff.

With Lulay's future uncertain, it's conceivable the Lions could keep 5 QB's in the system (1 on PR, 1 on IL) i.e. Lulay, Partridge, McGhee, Wilmer and one of Rodgers/Beck/Jennings.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:I talked yesterday with my best "American" friend, who is from Delaware, about Wilmer and he was very excited to hear that he landed with us. "Delaware" has a great football mind and I haven't heard him rave about a College kid like this before. He said that Wilmer is a winner and a competitor first and foremost. He said think of Doug Flutie in terms of his "style" of play. He can drop back in the pocket (3 step, 5 step) make a read and hum a pinpoint pass into the chest of the target, but is at his best when he breaks down pressure and scrambles. He said that Delaware literally kills teams in this mode and he finds open receivers for big gains or takes off and picks up big yards. He said that teams began to defence him by not aggressively rushing and keeping him in the pocket and then looking to limit his vision, but that of course opens up other options. So we will see what happens, but this isn't "just another TC fodder" in the opinion of Delaware, he can flat out play!

Here's to a great draft on Tuesday!
That's quite an endorsement. Hope he can live up to the expectations.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote: This training camp will be special because the Lions have perhaps two of the best QB coaches the world on their staff, J. Tedford & G. Cortez. I saw a video clip of Cortez coaching the QB's in Buffalo and he is terrific. The Lions have a unique opportunity to evaluate and develop several top QB prospects, which could keep the Lions (and the league) stocked with premier young QB's for years to come. The Lions might need a "QB mini-camp" integrated into training camp, to make sure all the QB's get an opportunity to show their stuff.

With Lulay's future uncertain, it's conceivable the Lions could keep 5 QB's in the system (1 on PR, 1 on IL) i.e. Lulay, Partridge, McGhee, Wilmer and one of Rodgers/Beck/Jennings.
Yes, I agree, JH.

Competition is essential. And Tedford and Cortez certainly have the credentials to mentor QBs. And we can certainly keep 5 on the roster somewhere.

Multiple reasons for QB depth -- Lulay's health. QB vulnerability in general in the league. Build some young ones.

Gotta say ... I like what I see in all respects so far with Tedford. Does that mean we will be on a level with Calgary? No, but we have hope. No more Xs and Os deficit. It will be very, very interesting to see what Tedford brings, come game time.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:That is insane.

I agree. Four healthy QBs is an ideal number for training camp. Even at that, the third and fourth guys get limited reps in team play. It sounds like Tedford is committed to having Lulay take full first-team reps if he's going to be the starter, so that leaves six QBs plus UBC's O'Connor fighting for three spots. Tedford will have to make some quick assessments as QB school, which precedes rookie camp, and at rookie camp itself.
JohnHenry wrote:This training camp will be special because the Lions have perhaps two of the best QB coaches the world on their staff, J. Tedford & G. Cortez. I saw a video clip of Cortez coaching the QB's in Buffalo and he is terrific. The Lions have a unique opportunity to evaluate and develop several top QB prospects, which could keep the Lions (and the league) stocked with premier young QB's for years to come. The Lions might need a "QB mini-camp" integrated into training camp, to make sure all the QB's get an opportunity to show their stuff.

I can see this happening. Lulay and Beck are not the future. Tedtord seems to be committed to developing his own QBs. The Lions have occasionally kept a fourth QB on the injured list for the season. Keeping a fifth on the practice roster is not inconceivable. These guys wouldn't get many live reps but they could hang around and learn the vets and coaches.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm thinking that the biggest impact of bringing extra QBs to the main TC means bringing in less players competing at other positions. I guess DBs and LBs are pretty much already decided with a good group of young guys from last season, so no need for a bunch of bodies there. The exception being finding a replacement for JR LaRose at FS.
David
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:With Lulay's future uncertain, it's conceivable the Lions could keep 5 QB's in the system (1 on PR, 1 on IL) i.e. Lulay, Partridge, McGhee, Wilmer and one of Rodgers/Beck/Jennings.
I'll be interested to see whether the new coaching regime lobby Wally to 'hide' players on the practice roster. For example, Cortez and Malone come from Saskatchewan which somehow manages to keep a pile of extra bodies on their PR, whereas Wally has always operated a lean operation, or at the very least 'by the book.'

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:With Lulay's future uncertain, it's conceivable the Lions could keep 5 QB's in the system (1 on PR, 1 on IL) i.e. Lulay, Partridge, McGhee, Wilmer and one of Rodgers/Beck/Jennings.
I'll be interested to see whether the new coaching regime lobby Wally to 'hide' players on the practice roster. For example, Cortez and Malone come from Saskatchewan which somehow manages to keep a pile of extra bodies on their PR, whereas Wally has always operated a lean operation, or at the very least 'by the book.'

DH :cool:
Perhaps moreso than some CFL teams, but that also means that your SMS room for it. I am not sure that Wally has payscale to provide that kind of depth that the Riders enjoyed.
Entertainment value = an all time low