Lions make trade with TiCats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Lions trade WR Haidara to Ticats for pick

http://www.tsn.ca/lions-trade-wr-haidar ... k-1.276729

Not sure whether I like this or not. I suppose it depends on who is unnamed player on the negotiation list. It must be someone of potential otherwise I couldn't really see a 2nd round pick for a 5th round pick 2 years later.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Does anyone know if Haidara is from southern Ontario and could the Lions think that they might loose him to free agency in the future?

I am a fan of Haidara as I like his size and Special Teams ability but the Lions do have depth at Nat receivers and with 4 Nats on the O line, Westerman on the D line and Harris at RB, the Lions might only start one Nat at receiver.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

If you're giving Ianuzzi a raise and trading Haidara, you're doing it wrong.
Last edited by cromartie on Wed May 06, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Very disappointed in Buono.......Ticats have a plethora of NI Dlineman......he couldn't wrangle one of those instead of a 43rd overall draft pick? IMHO, the neg list player MUST be exceptional in order to even out the trade.
Lloyd
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is a good move. Haidara wasn't in the team's plans and hasn't shown any reliability as a pass-catcher. With Austin Collie acquired as a national depth receiver to back up Gore and the two international slots, Haidara wasn't going to see the field on offence.

LU has more here.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A former 2nd round pick for a 5th round pick. Hmmm
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CFL.ca Staff

HAMILTON - The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have added some national depth to their receiving corps, acquiring Seydou Junior Haidara from the BC Lions in exchange for the Ticats' fifth round pick (43rd overall) in the upcoming CFL Draft and the rights to a player on Hamilton's negotiation list.

The need for a national receiver became somewhat of a priority for the Tiger-Cats after learning that Spencer Watt would miss the entire 2015 campaign with a torn Achillies; an injury sustained while training.

Hamilton elected not to retain veteran national slotback Samuel Gigure this off-seaosn, opting to pick up Watt from Toronto's roster in free agency.

Haidara, a 6-1, 215-pound native of Quebec City, Quebec, was selected in the second round (12th overall) of the 2013 CFL Draft. In two seasons with the Lions, Haidara recorded seven catches for 77 yards and 24 special teams tackles. A product of Laval University, Haidara was a member of the 2012 Vanier Cup championship team, catching 23 balls for 294 yards and three touchdowns in his final season with the Rouge et Or.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:A former 2nd round pick for a 5th round pick. Hmmm
The unnamed neg list player could be the key to the deal. Since Haidara wasn't in the Lions' plans, they give up nothing in return for two potential players.
ballhawk
Legend

cromartie wrote:If you're giving Ianuzzi a raise and trading Haidara, you're doing it wrong.

Something was apparently in the wind when Haidera, Adekolu, Antwi, and Louchard (all offensive players and from the East), did not attend (were not invited) to the April mini-camp. Maybe we will learn more over time.

A bigger surprise to me was that Poblah was almost immediately re-signed by the Lions after the 2014 season and after yet another underwhelming year in the CFL. I don't think he would have been picked up as a free agent.

But the biggest shock to me was the re-signing and extension to Iannuzzi's contract a few weeks back. He still had a year on his contract and has been totally underwhelming for the Lions over the years. In my opinion, Iannuzzi is one of the laziest football players I have ever seen, having watched him closely at the Lions training camp and at games throughout last season. I just don't get why they would sign him. In my opinion he is truly one of the great self-promoters.

In my opinion Haidera was a younger player who had potential, while Iannuzzi lost it some time ago.

Cromartie and I have disagreed on many things, but I wholeheartedly agree with Cromartie on this issue.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:This is a good move. Haidara wasn't in the team's plans and hasn't shown any reliability as a pass-catcher. With Austin Collie acquired as a national depth receiver to back up Gore and the two international slots, Haidara wasn't going to see the field on offence.

LU has more here.
So you have Poblah who can't catch a cold, and Collie who, thought talented, has a history of concussions.

And Ianuzzi who's idea of blocking on Special Teams is shouting "Ole!" as opposing gunners run by him, and whose role in the offense last year was to hang out on the wide side receiver spot with a QB who was incapable of throwing outside of the hashes (even on the rare occasions when he did have time) and do his best Ocho Cinco impression.

But by all means, give that guy a raise and ship Haidara, who could do at least that much at receiver and actually block on Special Teams, out to Hamilton. Smart.

That Neg List guy better be something or someone serviceable on the defensive line.

:bang:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:This is a good move. Haidara wasn't in the team's plans and hasn't shown any reliability as a pass-catcher. With Austin Collie acquired as a national depth receiver to back up Gore and the two international slots, Haidara wasn't going to see the field on offence.

LU has more here.
Well you can't really judge his pass catching ability if he hardly sees the field with the offense. Especially with our sad sack QB'ing last season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

cromartie wrote: So you have Poblah who can't catch a cold, and Collie who, thought talented, has a history of concussions.

And Ianuzzi who's idea of blocking on Special Teams is shouting "Ole!" as opposing gunners run by him, and whose role in the offense last year was to hang out on the wide side receiver spot with a QB who was incapable of throwing outside of the hashes even on the rare occasions when he did have time and do his best Ocho Cinco impression.

But by all means, give that guy a raise and ship Haidara, who could do at least that much at receiver and actually block on Special Teams, out to Hamilton. Smart.

I thought Haidara had potential as a receiver at first but he doesn't have the speed of Iannuzzi and Poblah so he's been mainly used as a backup inside receiver. I've seen him drop too many passes, mainly in training camp since he hasn't had many opportunities in games. The coaches apparently saw the same thing. Poblah and Iannuzzi didn't have a lot of balls thrown their way last year, mainly due to the limitations you cite at the QB position, but Poblah shows excellent hands in practice and made some nice sideline catches down the stretch last year.

I expect to see a more diversified passing game this year. Moving Arceneaux outside and getting a big body (Morrah or Leonard) at one of the slot positions should help open things up for other receivers. Last year defences learned they could crowd the middle of the field and shut down the Lions' two slots, thereby shutting down the passing attack.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

ballhawk wrote:A bigger surprise to me was that Poblah was almost immediately re-signed by the Lions after the 2014 season and after yet another underwhelming year in the CFL. I don't think he would have been picked up as a free agent.
I concur. Poblah have the speed, but lacks the hands. Seen him drop too many catchable balls. His hands are slightly better than JR Larose.
Blitz
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:

LU has more here.
So you have Poblah who can't catch a cold, and Collie who, thought talented, has a history of concussions.

And Ianuzzi who's idea of blocking on Special Teams is shouting "Ole!" as opposing gunners run by him, and whose role in the offense last year was to hang out on the wide side receiver spot with a QB who was incapable of throwing outside of the hashes (even on the rare occasions when he did have time) and do his best Ocho Cinco impression.

I can understand us trading Haidara but I'm surprised we only got a very low round draft pick for him....Hamilton really needed a Canadian receiver. Haidara was a decent special teamer who could block. He also had size at 215 pounds.

What blows me away is that we still have Iannuzzi and Poblah on the roster. Neither impress me. I would have chosen Haidara over both. It also looks like Adeklo, who was so impressive in training camp and the exhibition season last year didn't really get many opportunities to showcase his talent.

So here we are with Poblah and Iannuzzi, two guys who have had tons of chances to show what they have and neither have impressed...in fact both under impress.

I wish Haidara well in Hamilton. He came out of college with lots of promise and I hope he gets a good chance with Hamilton. Doesn't look like Adekelo will get a chance here in B.C. right now which disappoints me...so its back to looking at Iannuzzi and Poblah again....zzzzzzzzz

That Neg List guy better be something or someone serviceable on the defensive line.

"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Too bad that Haidara did not pan out, as a high draft pick.

Not much return on the trade it would seem. But he might just have been expendable as an outright cut.

Do Buono, Tedford, Cortez and Jones still believe in Iannuzzi? It seems so. Not sure we ever used him to his ability. If he is an important part of the Lions' plans, this fan is OK with that. I will be in the minority on this one, it seems, in still seeing something of promise in Iannuzzi. Am I seeing it the same way as the Lions' staff? Well, I am Ok with that too.

Just IMO, as a fan ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.