Lions make trade with TiCats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Iannuzzi reminds me a lot of Brett Anderson. He was a plug in utility player and I think we have seen that role carved out for Iannuzzi. I don't think many would think at this point that he is capable of being an every down player but it isn't unreasonable to use him in selective situations.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

According to TSN.ca article the neg list player is 5'10" 294# Maryland DL Andre Monroe. He played DE and DT with the Terps. According to NFL draft scouting reports he has a tweener body and skillset and a non-stop motor. Numbers don't translate into pro success but they nonetheless show he could be a very good CFL prospect given his size would be deemed lacking by NFL standards.

2014 - 38 solo tackles, 23 assisted tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks.
2013 - 25 solo tackles, 17 assisted tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=DE
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:Iannuzzi reminds me a lot of Brett Anderson. He was a plug in utility player and I think we have seen that role carved out for Iannuzzi. I don't think many would think at this point that he is capable of being an every down player but it isn't unreasonable to use him in selective situations.
Iannuzzi can also be used as a punt and kick off returner.

The Lions are deep at NAT pass receivers and might only start one NAT receiver so without this trade they may have had to cut a NAT receiver anyways.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Iannuzzi reminds me a lot of Brett Anderson. He was a plug in utility player and I think we have seen that role carved out for Iannuzzi. I don't think many would think at this point that he is capable of being an every down player but it isn't unreasonable to use him in selective situations.
I must have missed Ianuzzi being used as an NI kickoff guy.

There are cheaper, and frankly, better selective situation guys who can play special teams with the correct passport. You know, like the guy they just traded.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:

There are cheaper, and frankly, better selective situation guys who can play special teams with the correct passport. You know, like the guy they just traded.
Ianuzzi is faster than Haidara and Ianuzzi can be used as an occasional/backup kick and punter returner and as such would be especially useful as a game time replacement if the regular KR gets injured.

I don't know which guy has better hands or is a better route runner, but it may have been a factor in deciding who goes or says.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cromartie wrote:

I think when it comes to STs it may not be fair comparing Iannuzzi and Haidara. The passport may be the only thing they have in common. Iannuzzi was a kick returner at Harvard and has been used as one with BC. Haidara came out of CIS ball with a reputation as being a very good ST coverage guy and has done well in that role with BC. I don't know if he was used as a returner at Laval.

There's a name on the Lions roster that may be getting overlooked as a reason for Haidara being dealt; Whitman Tomusiak. Tomusiak has looked pretty darned good in training camp the last couple of years and I suspect has finished his CJFL tenure. I think the Lions remain very high on him but can no longer stash him on the roster as a territorial protection.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
ballhawk
Legend

Hambone wrote: There's a name on the Lions roster that may be getting overlooked as a reason for Haidara being dealt; Whitman Tomusiak. Tomusiak has looked pretty darned good in training camp the last couple of years and I suspect has finished his CJFL tenure. I think the Lions remain very high on him but can no longer stash him on the roster as a territorial protection.

I believe Tomusiak was on the Lions territorial protection list 2 years ago, but last year was a regular count on the Lions roster. He was on the practice roster for all of he Lions games. He appears to be by far the youngest of the Lions national receivers. Your right about last year's training camp. I recently had a look at the daily reprts and he was mentioned very favourably no less than 5 times. Through the season, I heard a report that Ronnie Yell and Dante Marsh were very high on him. My understanding is that he has been compared to (and rated higher than) Josh Boden, but without the problems... and Boden was much more pro-ready than Lemar Durant is at this time. Tomusiak is definitely a very un-hyped and a mystery player and probably for good reason. Time will tell I guess.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
David
Team Captain

I have seen Whitman Tomusiak first hand and can attest to the fact that he looks very promising. He's a little on the slim/slight side but extremely fast with good hands (IIRC, he played in a preseason game last season). He was at this year's Spring camp as was another BC junior player who was at the 2014 training camp in Kamloops, Derek Yachison.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar