Preseason game June 19 at Thunderbird Stadium

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have finally confirmed the date of their preseason game against Edmonton, Friday, June 19 at 7 p.m. at Thunderbird Stadium on the UBC campus. The Lions had reportedly wanted to play the game on Saturday, June 20 but that is cutdown day in the CFL and the league wanted all preseason games completed by June 19.

Capacity is limited. Season ticket holders have until May 15 to claim tickets via an online form. I've just submitted mine.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Me as well. In addition to the tickets, season ticket holders get a voucher for $80.00 food and beverages at BC Place, plus free tickets to one of the regular home games (Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton)
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Me as well. In addition to the tickets, season ticket holders get a voucher for $80.00 food and beverages at BC Place, plus free tickets to one of the regular home games (Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton)
I guess that's a good deal for ST holders, not so much for the casual fan walk up.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Me as well. In addition to the tickets, season ticket holders get a voucher for $80.00 food and beverages at BC Place, plus free tickets to one of the regular home games (Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton)
I guess that's a good deal for ST holders, not so much for the casual fan walk up.
Remember, season ticketholders have already paid for the game so the "free tickets" offered for Thunderbird are already paid for. Still, I'm surprised season ticketholders are being offered tickets to Thunderbird as well as to a choice of three summer games. I thought they would offer one or the other. Unlike last year's GWN giveaway, though, the free ticket offer is limited to three games that are likely to be poorly attended: Friday, July 24 against the Argos and two Thursdays in August that I'll probably have to miss due to work commitments.

The B.C. Place food and beverage credit is a nice perk that will make up for the inconvenience and cost the team money. Unlike TLK, my credit is only $40 since I sit in the cheap seats.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Do we know yet who the radio crew will be? GC I suppose will remain for colour but who's doing pbp? I'd think this would be finalised before TC starts in a few weeks as the new hire would be there, gathering material to work into the broadcasts. Is Rintoul coming back full time? Does he even want to?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BC 1988
Legend

sj-roc wrote:Do we know yet who the radio crew will be? GC I suppose will remain for colour but who's doing pbp? I'd think this would be finalised before TC starts in a few weeks as the new hire would be there, gathering material to work into the broadcasts. Is Rintoul coming back full time? Does he even want to?
I think I heard on 1040 (around the time the new broadcast deal was announced) that it will Rintoul and Caravatta again.

Funny that they haven't updated this page yet--as of today it's still Ball and Caravatta. (No way Rick Ball will be back after hitting the big time in Calgary).
http://bclions.com/page/gameday_radio
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote: (No way Rick Ball will be back after hitting the big time in Calgary)
I too hit the big time...but in Seattle... :beer:

http://bigtimebrewery.com/
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I just noticed that there will be a 5k/10k charity foot race at UBC campus the same evening as the Lions game, with Thunderbird Stadium being inside the perimeter of the race course. The race doesn't start until the scheduled 7pm kickoff time for the Lions, but fans attending the game should probably anticipate some minor inconveniences on campus en route to the stadium. This race (apparently an annual event) was scheduled well before the Lions booked TBird for the same evening — a date they didn't even really want in the first place as the OP notes — and it seems the race organisers actually made some accommodation for the game by altering the race course and moving back the starting time to minimise problems for everyone involved with either the game or the race.

http://www.thunderbirdstrack.org/longest-day-race/
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:I just noticed that there will be a 5k/10k charity foot race at UBC campus the same evening as the Lions game, with Thunderbird Stadium being inside the perimeter of the race course. The race doesn't start until the scheduled 7pm kickoff time for the Lions, but fans attending the game should probably anticipate some minor inconveniences on campus en route to the stadium. This race (apparently an annual event) was scheduled well before the Lions booked TBird for the same evening — a date they didn't even really want in the first place as the OP notes — and it seems the race organisers actually made some accommodation for the game by altering the race course and moving back the starting time to minimise problems for everyone involved with either the game or the race.

Oh, UBC... you never fail to redefine the term clusterf#%< in the way that you do what you do.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Jim Mullin wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I just noticed that there will be a 5k/10k charity foot race at UBC campus the same evening as the Lions game, with Thunderbird Stadium being inside the perimeter of the race course. The race doesn't start until the scheduled 7pm kickoff time for the Lions, but fans attending the game should probably anticipate some minor inconveniences on campus en route to the stadium. This race (apparently an annual event) was scheduled well before the Lions booked TBird for the same evening — a date they didn't even really want in the first place as the OP notes — and it seems the race organisers actually made some accommodation for the game by altering the race course and moving back the starting time to minimise problems for everyone involved with either the game or the race.

Oh, UBC... you never fail to redefine the term clusterf#%< in the way that you do what you do.
I don't think this "conflict" is really anybody's fault. It's just that a series of factors conspired to create this happenstance whereas had any of them broken some other way, it would have all been avoided.

The Lions were evicted from BCP because of the WWC. Any other year this wouldn't happen.

The league could have had the Lions play their home preseason game in Week A and then on the road in Week B: problem avoided.

Any other venue like, say, Swangard — again, no problem.

As per the OP, the Lions didn't even want to play this game on the 19th, preferring the 20th (possibly because they were aware of this race?) but the league insisted otherwise.

As far as I can tell, this race is an annual UBC event, scheduled before the Lions came knocking about using TBird. The race organisers showed some flexibility in making several changes to their event to help accommodate the game and minimise the hassles for everyone. It's probably not the optimal situation for anyone, but a few weeks afterward everyone will have forgotten about this and moved on to complaining about the latest bad call from the ref.

But on a tangentially related note, I have a similar personal UBC story you might appreciate. During my grad school days there I had to invigilate an undergrad exam. It happened to be written in some non-academic campus building that was often booked for, well, non-academic events. On this day, at this time, they somehow managed to book — get this — a children's birthday party, just a few doors down from the exam room. I was not advised of this, completely unaware of it — until suddenly I heard all this bedlam coming from down the hall as my students were writing. So I was the one who had to be the bad guy and go tell the chaperone that she had to take these kids and their racket elsewhere. Luckily she found an unbooked room on another floor out of earshot and order was restored on all fronts.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Jim Mullin wrote:

UBC grad. Can confirm.
tommyc16
prospect

Hi everybody, hope everybody is well. I was just wondering if anybody had any information about next Friday"s game at UBC . Re: ticket prices, standing room, concessions etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Peace and Goodnight.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Most tickets were bought by season ticketholders but the Lions released a "limited number" of single game tickets Thursday for $40 each. All tickets are general admission. There are just over 3,000 seats in the grandstand but club president Dennis Skulsky said they can accommodate a total of about 10,000 fans, with most fans standing around the field or sitting on the grassy berm on the west side. Get there early.

http://bclions.com/article/lions-releas ... eason-game
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Went to the UBC homecoming game against Calgary last year which attracted about 4,000 fans — packing the grandstand and spilling over onto the grassy hill on the opposite side of the field and the south end zone as well. I can't even imagine another 6,000 being accommodated with no additional seats being brought in and the entire venue being "general admission." Surely the Lions must be roping off some midfield grandstand seats for VIPs or Waterboys. Parking was also scare as well. Hard to believe it's $40 a ticket for a pre-season game when nearly 2/3 of the fans won't have seats.

Skulsky trying to spin positive light on this reminds me of the lower bowl only configuration providing "better atmosphere and home field advantage at BC Place" when actually it's because the season ticket base has shrunk to the point that it's not required anymore.

This will make the Tempire experience seem like visting Century Link. There is a reason why the Lions are also giving season ticket holders free tickets to selected regular season games and $40 in concession vouchers for each ticket as the real compensation for no pre-season game at BC Place.
Qman
Champion

its a joke that the have "sold" 9100 for this thing. And are now flogging 900 tix at $40
they should have capped it, or just said first 5000 that responded
How do you squeeze all those people in the park.

I live in point grey and was going to take my son. Now i don't have a good feeling it will be that safe, and will probably pass.