Preseason game June 19 at Thunderbird Stadium

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ballhawk
Legend

KnowItAll wrote: what about sfu?
I don't know the SFU venue. I wonder if it could meet the necessary field dimensions for a CFL game?

The UVIC venue, although an interesting consideration, is not a football venue. It was renovated for the 1994 Commonwealth Games and has been used for soccer and track and field. Would it meet all necessary qualifications for a CFL game?

The Apple Bowl in Kelowna has held over 6,000 spectators for a football game. This occurred in 1997 when the Okanagan Sun lost to Jason Clermont and the Regina Rams 20-17 in the CJFL Canadian Bowl. I'm sure the folks in Kelowna would make sure that 10,000 + fans could comfortably watch a CFL exhibition match-up at the old Apple Bowl.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

ballhawk wrote:I have travelled to the vast majority of football parks in the province.

The Victoria venues would not be suitable. Royal Athletic Park is simply awful and at Bear Mountain Stadium in Langford the field is much too tight to the sideline and endzone fences. The stands are too close and the end zones are short (dangerous for pro ball). Both facilities are very limited.

Kelowna has blocking pillars, but the grandstand is mostly covered, has individual numbered seats, and a large set of bleachers on the other side of the field. Kelowna would do a great job of hosting such an event. If my memory serves me correctly, Kelowna has a beautiful grass field. Kamloops has a long set of uncovered, unnumbered metal bleachers on one side of the field (goal line to goal line), great facilities for the two teams, and good washroom facilities, a great artificial turf, and spectacular view. This would have been a good choice among the possible options.

On the Lower Mainland both McLeod Park in Langley and Chilliwack Stadium are possible options with room for expanding bleachers. At McLeod Park facilities for players and fans are OK. McLeod also has a large scoreboard and screen for replays and good PA, and a very good field surface. The grandstand is covered. In my opinion it would have been the best of the options with Greater Vancouver. Far superior to UBC.
Hopefully folks aren't looking at Fort Mac and wondering why the Lions didn't do something similar because that's apples and oranges. Tar Sands money built a facility up there and you can bet that same Tar Sands piggy bank wasn't shy in putting money into the pockets of the Esks, Riders and Argos to get them to come north at no extra cost, perhaps even subsidizing them. Fort Mac is also playing host to two FC Edmonton NASL home games this season. According to a post game article they were "close to capacity in the 15000 seat stadium" although a Wikipedia article says SMS Equipment Stadium at Shell Place has 5000 seats that can be expanded to 20000. Maybe 5000 is the true capacity and having lined up 4 sports events they spent the money to expand for the summer.

In the case of a Lions ex-game we are talking a one-off 3 hour event here. Unless the host venue or city has something else up their sleeve there are no other opportunities to reduce the cost of temporary seats beyond the exhibition game. Bringing in any sort of temporary seating to supplement what already exists costs money and the more capacity that is needed the greater the cost. Using TRU at Kamloops as an example because I've at least been there I estimate the Kamloops facility seats about 1000 max based on 7 rows x approximately 100 yards long including the aisles and access points from outside. The question becomes if the Lions wanted to play the game there or at another location such as Kelowna or Victoria many more seats would be desirable, what would the cost be and who would bear that cost?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

ballhawk wrote:
I don't know the SFU venue. I wonder if it could meet the necessary field dimensions for a CFL game?

The UVIC venue, although an interesting consideration, is not a football venue. It was renovated for the 1994 Commonwealth Games and has been used for soccer and track and field. Would it meet all necessary qualifications for a CFL game?

The Apple Bowl in Kelowna has held over 6,000 spectators for a football game. This occurred in 1997 when the Okanagan Sun lost to Jason Clermont and the Regina Rams 20-17 in the CJFL Canadian Bowl. I'm sure the folks in Kelowna would make sure that 10,000 + fans could comfortably watch a CFL exhibition match-up at the old Apple Bowl.
According to Wikipedia the Apple Bowl seats 1054 in the grand stand and another 1200 on aluminum bleachers and had 6200 for the 2000 CJFL game. I actually found a You Tube link to the 1997 game vs Regina. Looks like they may have skidded in a few sets of bleachers to supplement the regular seating but a good many of the extra 4000 are either standing wherever they can find a spot or simply sitting cheeks down on the track.

dupsdell1
Champion

ballhawk wrote:

This is were the game should have been withe the womens world cup on and everything nobody is thinking bc lions or whitecaps until the tournament is over.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
David wrote: But my philosophy around Sports Marketing is simple. Never do anything to compromise your brand and make it look 2nd rate in your own market, even in preseason. And I'm afraid folks, despite Dennis Skulsky's usual bluster (even going so far as to say it will be the largest attended football game in Thunderbird history....did he not learn ANYTHING from the Guaranteed Win night fiasco??) this event has 'bush league' written all over it and should never have been played here.
DH :cool:
Let's see if they are smart enough to announce by Thursday the game is completely sold out or risk damaging the brand further that they couldn't fill a small venue. With the vast majority being standing room tickets anyways, who is going to know even if it isn't sold out?
There are still tickets left. I just got this email this afternoon from the UBC Alumni Association:
Watch the BC Lions Tackle the Edmonton Eskimos at UBC Thunderbird Stadium!

This Friday, kick off the CFL pre-season at UBC Thunderbird Stadium watching the BC Lions take on the Edmonton Eskimos. With just over 8,000 tickets already sold, this game is expected to draw the largest crowd in Thunderbird Stadium history!

Come for the tailgate party, the game, or both, but hurry and get your tickets today before the game sells out!

Friday, June 19, 2015
5:00 pm - Tailgate party
7:00 pm - Kick-off

David Sidoo Field
6288 Stadium Road
Vancouver

Cost
Tickets are just $40.00 and include all taxes and fees!

Please note that this game is sold as general admission with no assigned seating. Along with the covered grandstand seating along one sideline you'll also have the option to stand field side – closer to the action than ever before!
BUY TICKETS HERE > http://www.ticketmaster.ca/bc-lions-vs- ... C3A2625529
I went to the link just moments prior to this writing and tickets can still be bought, as many as nine at a time.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

I went off on a bit of a rant in the marketing thread about the Lions taking people in the suburbs for granted a few weeks back, writing about gameday logistics from the 'burbs. It's hardly surprising that nobody wants to go to UBC for a game. I love the UBC rare books library and do a bit of research there (it's literally one of my favourite places in the country) and I love concerts at the Chan Centre. Those are two world class facilities. But even though I love going to these two venues, I still cringe about the drive to UBC because it's such a pain to get to.

But a football game at UBC? Let's be honest: the stadium is a neglected relic of a bygone age (I mean really, Thunderbird Stadium? Seriously? Are the nurses going to play the home-ec department at half-time in the powder-puff game? What is it, 1960?) I remember Shrum Bowls there in the 90's and the place needed to be torn down then. I can only imagine what it's like twenty years later.

And 40 bucks for a preseason game? Really?

So, I can take a date to a football game at UBC and be out of pocket a minimum of $100.oo for tickets and parking, and we get to use porta johns, or we can go to dinner someplace medium-nice and catch a movie for 60-75% of the cost of watching a preseason game. Hmm. Lemme see: carry the one, divide by...yeah, we're gonna go see the dinosaur movie.

Skulsky et al have got to stop spinning their poor decisions as yet another "experience" for the fans. It's getting tiresome.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:But a football game at UBC? Let's be honest: the stadium is a neglected relic of a bygone age (I mean really, Thunderbird Stadium? Seriously? Are the nurses going to play the home-ec department at half-time in the powder-puff game? What is it, 1960?)
Sad to say, that's the only game I've ever attended at Thunderbird Stadium, circa 1973, and it was only because it was held during the afternoon while I was on campus. I will make the trek from the Valley on Friday to see the Lions, though. Hopefuly I can find parking.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

ballhawk wrote: The Victoria venues would not be suitable. Royal Athletic Park is simply awful and at Bear Mountain Stadium in Langford the field is much too tight to the sideline and endzone fences. The stands are too close and the end zones are short (dangerous for pro ball). Both facilities are very limited.
They could have played in Centennial if they turfed the end zones.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
David
Team Captain

I go to the odd UBC football game (plan on going to many more this year) and always enjoy myself. Sure, it's a bare bones stadium with hard bench seating etc., but it's also a beautiful setting. I am looking forward to tomorrow night and have friends coming to the game.

It seems the Lions' brass never do things the easy way. Sure, they're giving nice concessions to STH, but the perception is they're always trying to wring one last nickel from the public. I agree with the poster about capping the number of seats sold and calling it a sellout (like the Whitecaps do). Just like last year - Braley could have easily given away some tickets to some appreciative organization on Grey Cup weekend and made GC an official sellout.

I just know that unless the place is full tomorrow night, it's going to be a negative talking point which the club can ill-afford. I would have charged $40 if one wants to sit in the grandstand (which I'm sure most STH would opt for), and $25 if you want to stand all game at field level or sit on the berm (the grassy hill across from the grandstand).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I went to the link just moments prior to this writing and tickets can still be bought, as many as nine at a time.
Are they being done as General Admission? If so you'll be able to buy 9 at a time until there are only 8 seats or left to be sold.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

A major missed opportunity by the Lions. David mentioned brand. That was the opportunity, to enhance the brand. IMO, Kamloops should have been the site for this game. Sure there is little permanent seating but temporary bleachers could have been brought in. Remember the days of Indy Vancouver? In a matter of days seating for 100,000 people was set up on the streets of the city. Certainly the people running the facility in Kamloops could have had seating for 10-15,000 set up in no time.

A pre-season game in Kamloops would have been an EVENT. The Lions had all of training camp to push ticket sales in that community. Even from a strictly logistical point of view it would have allowed the team to remain in Kamloops and not break camp until AFTER the final exhibition game, effectively giving them an extra day of training camp.

This game at Thunderbird is an inconvenience no matter how (badly) the Lions marketing team tries to spin it. Fans in the interior would have been thrilled to get a game in their backyard compared to lower mainland fans who will find the Thunderbird experience substandard.
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:I go to the odd UBC football game (plan on going to many more this year) and always enjoy myself. Sure, it's a bare bones stadium with hard bench seating etc., but it's also a beautiful setting. I am looking forward to tomorrow night and have friends coming to the game.

It seems the Lions' brass never do things the easy way. Sure, they're giving nice concessions to STH, but the perception is they're always trying to wring one last nickel from the public. I agree with the poster about capping the number of seats sold and calling it a sellout (like the Whitecaps do). Just like last year - Braley could have easily given away some tickets to some appreciative organization on Grey Cup weekend and made GC an official sellout.

I just know that unless the place is full tomorrow night, it's going to be a negative talking point which the club can ill-afford. I would have charged $40 if one wants to sit in the grandstand (which I'm sure most STH would opt for), and $25 if you want to stand all game at field level or sit on the berm (the grassy hill across from the grandstand).

TM has had
See Tickets NOT MANY LEFT
on their site since yesterday afternoon.

I agree that tickets with guaranteed seating would be okay at $40, but standing and sitting on grass should be more like $20. Is the grandstand seating just benches with no numbers on them? If that's the case, it makes sense that it would be difficult to have 2 pricing levels.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I went to the link just moments prior to this writing and tickets can still be bought, as many as nine at a time.
Are they being done as General Admission? If so you'll be able to buy 9 at a time until there are only 8 seats or left to be sold.
Correct — I think it even said so in the Alumni email. I thought I saw a post on here that someone had declared this game a sellout (not the one I was responding to, btw). I just mentioned the nine as the TM limit — not to imply that there are large blocks of nine seats together still remaining all over the venue (though I see now in hindsight that comment could be interpreted that way). But AFAIC at this point the word sellout is almost meaningless for this game. As David said there's that every-last-nickel angle where it's as though the team is afraid that if they declare the game a sellout today, then they feel like they're leaving tickets on the table that might have otherwise been sold through kickoff. But as has implicitly been acknowledged in some posts here, the last few added dollars from those extra tickets wouldn't buy the same aura that you would get from having a "sold out" event.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
jcalhoun wrote:But a football game at UBC? Let's be honest: the stadium is a neglected relic of a bygone age (I mean really, Thunderbird Stadium? Seriously? Are the nurses going to play the home-ec department at half-time in the powder-puff game? What is it, 1960?)
Sad to say, that's the only game I've ever attended at Thunderbird Stadium, circa 1973, and it was only because it was held during the afternoon while I was on campus. I will make the trek from the Valley on Friday to see the Lions, though. Hopefuly I can find parking.
there is a ton of parking at UBC (its a campus)
You can park for free at along SWMarine drive or behind to Botantial gardens like all the wreck beachers do, thats as close as the nearest parkade (at Thunderbird arena).
If you come early you can park along the street meter parking on westbrook, east, lower mall for $4-$6. But if your never going to be back at UBC again, you dont even need to pay since a UBC ticket isn't like getting a government/civic ticket.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:The Thunderbirds are certainly trying to raise the profile of their program, especially with the hiring of Blake Nill, so perhaps they see this game as a great advertisement to football fans about the venue and are picking up most of the additional costs.
I would have thought so too, SG. I know Blake Nill was really pushing for this venue. But if that's the case, why isn't there a cross-promotion? Even something like, "keep your Preseason ticket stub and get FREE admission to the Thunderbirds homecoming game (or $$$ off)." Redemption only likely to be 5%. Maybe more if UBC students buy into the idea. Doesn't matter. It's the perception that you're getting some value for your ticket is what matters and creates excitement.

Let's even say 10% of attendees keep their ticket stub (which is really high) and 4,000 people turn out for the Homecoming Game. Redemption = 400 people. Let's also say the Lions/UBC split this promo 50/50 and the average ticket price for the homecoming game is $8.00. It's only going to cost the Lions $1,600. At $40 per ticket, they would have only had to sell an incremental 40 extra tickets!

Roar, You Lions, Roar