Preseason game June 19 at Thunderbird Stadium

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

I have been in that facility for Shrum Bowls where around 8,700 have been in attendance. It's pretty well maxed out at 7,000 without adding additional seats.

Facts about Thunderbird Stadium:

- The grandstand seats 3,441

- There are three dressing rooms. One at field level for the visitors, one for the officials, and one in the main concourse for the home team.

- Record attendance for football was 8,700 for the 1989 Shrum Bowl.

- Parking for around 120 adjacent to the stadium. There's a temporary lot across from the stadium with another 44 spots. There's two parkades around a 10 minute walk away.

- There is one men's and one women's washroom.

- The concession is closed.

- PolyTan Liga Turf surface, similar to that in BC Place.

- A pressbox capable of seating around eight, with two bays partially in the stands for radio.

To make this venue acceptable, they will have to bring in food trucks and portajohns. I'll be quite surprised if they don't bring in some kind of bleacher seats.

This game should have been played out of market and the club should have seen this coming the same way the Eskimos did. Kelowna or Victoria could have been made suitable. Swangard with 5,117 grandstand, 2,000 bleachers and better in-stadium facilities would have been better even with a partial end zone cut off. SMH.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
David
Team Captain

I truly believe part of the reason why the Lions' brass were so eager to pound this square peg (displaced home game) into a round hole (the massively under-appointed Thunderbird Stadium) is their desire to tap into Generation Y. I think they see the potential to get UBC kids exposed to their game (not at 40 bucks a ticket they're not).

But my philosophy around Sports Marketing is simple. Never do anything to compromise your brand and make it look 2nd rate in your own market, even in preseason. And I'm afraid folks, despite Dennis Skulsky's usual bluster (even going so far as to say it will be the largest attended football game in Thunderbird history....did he not learn ANYTHING from the Guaranteed Win night fiasco??) this event has 'bush league' written all over it and should never have been played here.

This game should have been awarded to Kamloops with the spin being a 'thank you' to the community for their unwavering support these past several years. Erect temporary stands on the south side of Hillside Stadium at Thompson Rivers University, promote it in the Okanagan (you'd likely even get some fans coming from Alberta) and as a bonus, the club wouldn't have had to travel. Trust me, from infrastructure challenges to reinforcing the perception some have that this is a 2nd tier league - nothing good can come from playing this game at UBC.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:I truly believe part of the reason why the Lions' brass were so eager to pound this square peg (displaced home game) into a round hole (the massively under-appointed Thunderbird Stadium) is their desire to tap into Generation Y. I think they see the potential to get UBC kids exposed to their game (not at 40 bucks a ticket they're not).

But my philosophy around Sports Marketing is simple. Never do anything to compromise your brand and make it look 2nd rate in your own market, even in preseason. And I'm afraid folks, despite Dennis Skulsky's usual bluster (even going so far as to say it will be the largest attended football game in Thunderbird history....did he not learn ANYTHING from the Guaranteed Win night fiasco??) this event has 'bush league' written all over it and should never have been played here.

This game should have been awarded to Kamloops with the spin being a 'thank you' to the community for their unwavering support these past several years. Erect temporary stands on the south side of Hillside Stadium at Thompson Rivers University, promote it in the Okanagan (you'd likely even get some fans coming from Alberta) and as a bonus, the club wouldn't have had to travel. Trust me, from infrastructure challenges to reinforcing the perception some have that this is a 2nd tier league - nothing good can come from playing this game at UBC.

Exactly. I was interested in going to this game when it was first announced. (I'm not a current ST holder, but I was during Tempire). After reading the logistics of how they plan to try to fit 10,000 in there, no thanks. It's going to be a gong show.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

You get the feeling the Lions are getting a great deal with UBC to stage the game there. And there seems to be cost saving measures everywhere with this organization right now.
The Thunderbirds are certainly trying to raise the profile of their program, especially with the hiring of Blake Nill, so perhaps they see this game as a great advertisement to football fans about the venue and are picking up most of the additional costs.
I can almost guarantee the BC Place concession vouchers for ST holders are part of the compensation the Lions are receiving as a regular tenant being displaced. The extra tickets are for 3 games that potentially are tough sell anyways.
As much as I would like to take in the final pre-season game I took a pass. No way do I want to deal with the parking nightmare and then not having a guaranteed seat.

In LU's column story today I don't think he understands how this game is going to work when he says there are still tickets remaining with a 3,400 grandstand. It's general admission for everyone and those grandstand seats are up for grabs. Should be a mad rush once the gate opens.
It needs to be said that the bulk of their team was watching the game on television, which allows for hope. A pre-season opener normally is long forgotten by the start of the regular season, and the Lions don’t play a game at B.C. Place until July 10. But if the pushback from last season is so strong that tickets were still available last week in a 3,400-seat stadium at UBC for their first home pre-season game, the Lions will need more than what was on show in Calgary Friday.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yes, it seems like a dumb move.

Kamloops, Kelowna or Victoria would be a progressive chance to grow the brand.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:As much as I would like to take in the final pre-season game I took a pass. No way do I want to deal with the parking nightmare and then not having a guaranteed seat.
All of my kvetching is really taking a 'greater good' view of things. Luckily, I can hop on the 99B line which stops a block away from my house. I'll be there in 15 minutes.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Did I really pay $40 for the "free" tickets ?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

There are other ways to help the Thunderbirds and SFU programs.

I agree that they should have actually had a plan. The Esks went to the far north to play. Why not Kamloops if they have any decent seating as a thank you to Kamloops? Victoria or Kelowna would also be good too but I doubt Kelowna is good when it's Kamloops who opened their arms. Kelowna folks can easily travel to Kamloops - used to do that drive a lot in the summers. Victoria would be good too.

I think DH has nailed this on the head. Skulsky is not a marketer and while he doesn't need to be - he has to be open to marketing ideas. He's not a strategic thinker either when he pulled the guaranteed win night. Play the game where you can get some marketing mileage out of it and get fans excited.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:As much as I would like to take in the final pre-season game I took a pass. No way do I want to deal with the parking nightmare and then not having a guaranteed seat.
All of my kvetching is really taking a 'greater good' view of things. Luckily, I can hop on the 99B line which stops a block away from my house. I'll be there in 15 minutes.

I'd allow at least half an hour coming from off-campus. I can see reaching the end of the 99 bus route on campus in 15mins, which IIRC is near (just to the north of) the War Memorial Gym, but that bus loop is still a ~15min walk away from TBird Stadium, unless there are timely shuttles to get you there faster (google maps actually reckons it as a 25min walk covering 2km). Some other buses from that loop head south along Wesbrook (41, 43, 480, 25, 33) to get you closer, but there may be a wait and you'll still have some walking to get to the west side of East Mall. Some of those non-99 routes may be disrupted anyway, on account of the charity foot race encircling the stadium to be held almost concurrently during the game, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. That event might also present some minor delays/inconveniences in getting to the stadium.

If you're bussing it from the Broadway corridor, you might actually be better off (i.e. less walking but not absolutely sure about this) getting off the B-line at the Sasamat stop, walking south to 16th and then taking either a 25 or a 33 and getting off somewhere around that roundabout intersection with Wesbrook Mall.

For anyone who hasn't been there before, I'd say really study a map to know the exact location before you go. It's not exactly a you-can't-miss-it kind of place, surrounded as it is on west and south by forest sufficiently thick that you can't see it (nor can you access it) from the two nearest main thoroughfares (16th Ave & SW Marine). The stadium also has a fairly large setback from East Mall on the east, and sunken from that grade so the grandstand is barely visible. If UBC's plan in choosing the location was to hide the stadium, they'd be hard pressed to do any better. You almost need signs with arrows posted every hundred yards or so to keep you on track.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote: But my philosophy around Sports Marketing is simple. Never do anything to compromise your brand and make it look 2nd rate in your own market, even in preseason. And I'm afraid folks, despite Dennis Skulsky's usual bluster (even going so far as to say it will be the largest attended football game in Thunderbird history....did he not learn ANYTHING from the Guaranteed Win night fiasco??) this event has 'bush league' written all over it and should never have been played here.
Let's see if they are smart enough to announce by Thursday the game is completely sold out or risk damaging the brand further that they couldn't fill a small venue. With the vast majority being standing room tickets anyways, who is going to know even if it isn't sold out?
dupsdell1
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:There are other ways to help the Thunderbirds and SFU programs.

I agree that they should have actually had a plan. The Esks went to the far north to play. Why not Kamloops if they have any decent seating as a thank you to Kamloops? Victoria or Kelowna would also be good too but I doubt Kelowna is good when it's Kamloops who opened their arms. Kelowna folks can easily travel to Kamloops - used to do that drive a lot in the summers. Victoria would be good too.

I think DH has nailed this on the head. Skulsky is not a marketer and while he doesn't need to be - he has to be open to marketing ideas. He's not a strategic thinker either when he pulled the guaranteed win night. Play the game where you can get some marketing mileage out of it and get fans excited.

I agree with Skulski he is a great community guy know a lot of people but he is not a marketer/salesmen that is the Problem with the lions they have shot themselves in the foot so many times the last three seasons with marketing people are starting not to care again and that is what it was like in there worst period early late 90's /2000/2002 .
ballhawk
Legend

I have travelled to the vast majority of football parks in the province.

The Victoria venues would not be suitable. Royal Athletic Park is simply awful and at Bear Mountain Stadium in Langford the field is much too tight to the sideline and endzone fences. The stands are too close and the end zones are short (dangerous for pro ball). Both facilities are very limited.

Kelowna has blocking pillars, but the grandstand is mostly covered, has individual numbered seats, and a large set of bleachers on the other side of the field. Kelowna would do a great job of hosting such an event. If my memory serves me correctly, Kelowna has a beautiful grass field. Kamloops has a long set of uncovered, unnumbered metal bleachers on one side of the field (goal line to goal line), great facilities for the two teams, and good washroom facilities, a great artificial turf, and spectacular view. This would have been a good choice among the possible options.

On the Lower Mainland both McLeod Park in Langley and Chilliwack Stadium are possible options with room for expanding bleachers. At McLeod Park facilities for players and fans are OK. McLeod also has a large scoreboard and screen for replays and good PA, and a very good field surface. The grandstand is covered. In my opinion it would have been the best of the options with Greater Vancouver. Far superior to UBC.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

ballhawk wrote:I have travelled to the vast majority of football parks in the province.

The Victoria venues would not be suitable. Royal Athletic Park is simply awful and at Bear Mountain Stadium in Langford the field is much too tight to the sideline and endzone fences. The stands are too close and the end zones are short (dangerous for pro ball). Both facilities are very limited.

Kelowna has blocking pillars, but the grandstand is mostly covered, has individual numbered seats, and a large set of bleachers on the other side of the field. Kelowna would do a great job of hosting such an event. If my memory serves me correctly, Kelowna has a beautiful grass field. Kamloops has a long set of uncovered, unnumbered metal bleachers on one side of the field (goal line to goal line), great facilities for the two teams, and good washroom facilities, a great artificial turf, and spectacular view. This would have been a good choice among the possible options.

On the Lower Mainland both McLeod Park in Langley and Chilliwack Stadium are possible options with room for expanding bleachers. At McLeod Park facilities for players and fans are OK. McLeod also has a large scoreboard and screen for replays and good PA, and a very good field surface. The grandstand is covered. In my opinion it would have been the best of the options with Greater Vancouver. Far superior to UBC.
what about sfu?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The Lions advertise that they are the Pride of BC. Here was the golden opportunity to showcase their product and they drop the ball ....again.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don't really understand the negativity surrounding the UBC site. I'm really looking forward to it, apart from the lack of parking. It's been a long time since my days as a UBC student, when I would park for free every day on the gravel shoulder of Marine Drive. Kamloops, Kelowna or UVic in Victoria would have been my preferred options but none of the alternative sites mentioned in this thread would be able to accommodate the 9,000 or 10,000 fans expected to attend on Friday. It's a non-televised game so it won't get much exposure to casual fans but it should be a great atmosphere in the stadium, as long as they have sufficient crowd control and toilet facilities.