Preseason game June 19 at Thunderbird Stadium

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

aklawitter
All Star

not sure what they were expecting
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Well, so much for an enchanted evening in a cozy venue. The Eskimos thought it was so bush, they elected to stay on the field at half-time! Interesting read HERE.

DH :cool:
So how do CIS teams cope when they come and play the TBirds? Do they stay out there for halftime, too?

It reminded me of the Empire Field setup and how there was some consternation on here with how the Lions' bench faced the setting sun to the west. But the way it's set up, that bench is closest to the dressing rooms so it makes sense from that POV.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
David wrote:Well, so much for an enchanted evening in a cozy venue. The Eskimos thought it was so bush, they elected to stay on the field at half-time! Interesting read HERE.

DH :cool:
So how do CIS teams cope when they come and play the TBirds? Do they stay out there for halftime, too?

It reminded me of the Empire Field setup and how there was some consternation on here with how the Lions' bench faced the setting sun to the west. But the way it's set up, that bench is closest to the dressing rooms so it makes sense from that POV.
And the hill that the Esks climbed at Thunderbird reminded me of the hill the Lions had to climb at Tempire to reach their locker room. I guess the Esks aren't as tough as people thought. :wink:
D
Team Captain

For what it's worth I had a great time, I really enjoyed the cozy ambiance and being outside on a beautiful night. I could care less what those blubber eaters from Edmonton think :wink:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Starting to find out more of the CFL in Fort Mac story. The Argos are there this weekend thanks in part to Fort Mac civic leaders offering revenue guarantees and covering all the Argo's expenses for the game. I assume the Eskimos as the visiting team would be on their own hook given they'd have to pay travel expenses anyways had the game been held in Toronto and probably gain some savings as a result. City of Fort Mac could take a bath on this one. According to this Toronto Star article there is potential for a very small crowd of only around 5000 in the 15000 stadium. Based on my research I think they are easily past the 5000 mark but still need to push another 1000 seats just to get up to 50% capacity. Not sure what sort of revenue guarantees Fort Mac gave the Argos but I'd think it would be considerably more than a half full stadium would generate.

I've done a check on available tickets and come up with 7233 of the 13377 seats in the regular seating as still being available. In coming to those numbers I had to assume some sections showing as no availability really are because the aren't being made available for sale. For instance sections WW (292 seats) and ZZ (932 seats) in the endzone show no availability yet the 2 sections in between them still have nearly 1300 of the combined 1870 seats unsold. I'm also curious why Section A (286 seats) shows no availability while Section T directly across the field still has only sold 26 of 152 seats.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/201 ... urray.html
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Starting to find out more of the CFL in Fort Mac story. The Argos are there this weekend thanks in part to Fort Mac civic leaders offering revenue guarantees and covering all the Argo's expenses for the game. I assume the Eskimos as the visiting team would be on their own hook given they'd have to pay travel expenses anyways had the game been held in Toronto and probably gain some savings as a result. City of Fort Mac could take a bath on this one. According to this Toronto Star article there is potential for a very small crowd of only around 5000 in the 15000 stadium. Based on my research I think they are easily past the 5000 mark but still need to push another 1000 seats just to get up to 50% capacity. Not sure what sort of revenue guarantees Fort Mac gave the Argos but I'd think it would be considerably more than a half full stadium would generate.

I've done a check on available tickets and come up with 7233 of the 13377 seats in the regular seating as still being available. In coming to those numbers I had to assume some sections showing as no availability really are because the aren't being made available for sale. For instance sections WW (292 seats) and ZZ (932 seats) in the endzone show no availability yet the 2 sections in between them still have nearly 1300 of the combined 1870 seats unsold. I'm also curious why Section A (286 seats) shows no availability while Section T directly across the field still has only sold 26 of 152 seats.

Wow! Attendance was just 4,900. Argos might as well had played at Varsity Stadium which at least would have been full with the same crowd. At least it was the city of Fort McMurray that took a bath on the game, not the Argos or league.
BC 1988
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Hambone wrote:Starting to find out more of the CFL in Fort Mac story. The Argos are there this weekend thanks in part to Fort Mac civic leaders offering revenue guarantees and covering all the Argo's expenses for the game. I assume the Eskimos as the visiting team would be on their own hook given they'd have to pay travel expenses anyways had the game been held in Toronto and probably gain some savings as a result. City of Fort Mac could take a bath on this one. According to this Toronto Star article there is potential for a very small crowd of only around 5000 in the 15000 stadium. Based on my research I think they are easily past the 5000 mark but still need to push another 1000 seats just to get up to 50% capacity. Not sure what sort of revenue guarantees Fort Mac gave the Argos but I'd think it would be considerably more than a half full stadium would generate.

Wow! Attendance was just 4,900. Argos might as well had played at Varsity Stadium which at least would have been full with the same crowd. At least it was the city of Fort McMurray that took a bath on the game, not the Argos or league.
It did look really empty on TV. It was funny hearing the PA announcer call as if it was an Argo's home game, and the boos that usually followed.

The June 13 EDM-SSK preseason game had 11,800 attendance, probably more Riders fans than Esks.