Lions Offence for 2015 -- Tedford re TCamp

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

http://www.thefreepress.ca/national/spo ... 21981.html
Lions head coach Jeff Tedford preaches offensive tempo

BY JOSHUA CLIPPERTON, CANADIAN PRESS APRIL 30, 2015

Lions head coach Jeff Tedford preaches offensive tempo

B.C. Lions head coach Jeff Tedford instructs during the CFL's team mini camp for their offence players at Cloverdale Athletic Grounds in Surrey this week.
Photograph by: Ric Ernst , PNG
METRO VANCOUVER — B.C. Lions head coach Jeff Tedford stands in the middle of the field and shouts at no one in particular to get moving.

His players rush to the line of scrimmage and get the snap off, mimicking a game situation against an invisible defence as best they can during a chilly late-April practice.

The Lions wrapped up a three-day minicamp for their offence this week and the message from the team's first-year coach about the pace he expects in practices and games was as evident as the giant digital play clock that repeatedly ticked down on the sidelines.

"We're going to be able to run all types of tempos," Tedford said after one of the sessions. "We can go very fast or we can slow it down, whatever it may be. Tempo will be a big part of what we do."

The 53-year-old was hired in December and joins the club after a successful career south of the border that included an 11-season head coaching stint in U.S. college football with the California Golden Bears.

Tedford is known for his offensive schemes, and along with co-ordinator George Cortez started to implement some of his principles during three practices ahead of the main training camp, which begins May 31 in Kamloops.

"It's always the mental part that comes first," said Tedford. "You can't play fast unless you're unconscious. If you're out there thinking too much it's like paralysis by analysis. You're just always wondering what to do and you can't play fast.

"This is their first time with it. They'll get introduced to it, they'll take it with them for a month and then we'll do it all again and they'll be more comfortable."

A former quarterback and assistant coach in the CFL, Tedford is credited with developing the skills of a number of pivots at the collegiate level, including Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers.

"He knows the quarterback position," said Lions QB Travis Lulay, who continues to rehab his injured throwing shoulder. "He played it, has coached it for a long time. I'm excited to see when he gets a defence on the other side to see how he coaches some of the nuances of playing the position.

"I don't care how long you've been in the game, you're learning stuff from people who have been around the game every single day."

Tedford — who was hired to be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' offensive co-ordinator last season only to leave team because of health issues — said tempo will be dictated by not only the offence, but the defence as well.

"Speed the game up, get as many plays as we can, but also play to how the flow of the game is," he said. "It's very important to play a team game. It's not just an offensive game, it's a team game."

The players seem to already be buying into Tedford's style as the club looks to rebound off a disappointing 2014 season.

"He's high-energy, he's in your face, and he's really business-like and professional. I'm really impressed with him so far," said running back Andrew Harris. "The way we're doing things is a whole new way of looking at an offence and how we're going to attack. It's really high-tempo and I think it's something we're going to catch defences with in mismatches."
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SURREY, B.C. - B.C. Lions head coach Jeff Tedford stands in the middle of the field and shouts at no one in particular to get moving.

His players rush to the line of scrimmage and get the snap off, mimicking a game situation against an invisible defence as best they can during a chilly late-April practice.
This fan likes up tempo practice and play.
"He knows the quarterback position," said Lions QB Travis Lulay, who continues to rehab his injured throwing shoulder. "He played it, has coached it for a long time. I'm excited to see when he gets a defence on the other side to see how he coaches some of the nuances of playing the position.

"I don't care how long you've been in the game, you're learning stuff from people who have been around the game every single day."
"He's high-energy, he's in your face, and he's really business-like and professional. I'm really impressed with him so far," said running back Andrew Harris. "The way we're doing things is a whole new way of looking at an offence and how we're going to attack. It's really high-tempo and I think it's something we're going to catch defences with in mismatches."
Old school coaching did not emphasize the Xs and Os as much as more modern thinking. Was a time when coaches such as Vince Lombardi imposed their will on the game, defying the defence from stopping what they knew was coming.

When Wally decided to bring in a new Head Coach, I don't think fans expected us to score a couple of Xs and Os veterans and masters such as Jeff Tedford and George Cortez.

Execution is essential too, of course. But the chess game of football is important also. I would suggest that coaches such as Hufnagel, Trestman and Austin have made that point rather clear.

Just IMO, as a fan of the CFL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jeff Tedford at work.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I like what's he's preaching. Players better come to camp in shape.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Tedford has already shown his decisiveness in the one aspect of coaching in which he has no experience: managing the ratio. By declaring early that the Lions plan to use four Canadians on the offensive line and seven overall on offence plus one on defence, he has put the team in much better position to survive the rash of injuries they suffered last year, when they had to juggle the ratio at running back, receiver, offensive line and defensive line in the second half of the season to find the required seven Canadian starters.

Now he needs to develop a quarterback who can step in for Travis Lulay and play the same style of offence if (or when) Lulay gets hurt. Kevin Glenn has a lot of good qualities but he's a short, immobile pocket-passing quarterback who made the Lions too one-dimensional, especially after Andrew Harris got hurt. John Beck, despite his red hair and engaging personality, is more like Glenn on the field than Lulay.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While Tedford is an experienced coach with CFL experience the one thing he will have to learn and get used to in game situations is the tempo of the play by modern day CFL defences. There are some very good coaches these days in the CFL who know the nuances of this game vs the NFL. It took former MTL coach Marc Trestman a year IIRC to get his rhythm and understanding up to par. Trestman should have stayed in the CFL as he'd have a winning career here and a gig for life with the Alouettes - all in his preferred time zone and not that far from his hometown.

Cortez though is experienced CFL style and he too is an in-your-face coach - something that it sounds like the HC is too. BUT that might not be like the mercurial coaches of times past as that stuff doesn't work for a long season as players tune it out.

I can see them being tough on Beck as coaches look at progress and if it doesn't look like it was that much - they're gone.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/recap-three-s ... -mini-camp
BC Lions

1. The health of Andrew Harris and Travis Lulay.

While plenty of talk around the Lions' off-season surrounded a coaching change, the best news for the Lions all off-season had to be getting Andrew Harris and Travis Lulay back on the field for this week's mini-camp. Wally Buono initially suggested Lulay's participation in the three-day offensive camp wasn't essential, leading some to believe the former Most Outstanding Player might not yet be ready to return.

But after playing in only two games in 2015, Lulay was back leading the huddle and feeling himself.

"It was great for me to just be out there and be back in the huddle and doing some of the procedural stuff with the guys," Lulay told BCLions.com. "Having been hurt, you don’t take a minute of that for granted anymore."

Also making a return to the Lions' huddle was Andrew Harris, one of the league's most dynamic dual-threat running backs. Harris was among the top rushers in the league before a season-ending injury last year, and while he says he's not 100 per cent quite yet, he assures he will be in time for the season.

"I’m seeing a big difference in the last month or so and I’m really just making strides now," said Harris. "We still have a long time before we play our first game. I have confidence in my ability, and obviously we have a new coaching staff so you have to prove yourself, but I don’t want to push myself too hard where I’m hurting myself. I’m going to be patient with it, but I’m feeling really good. It was a good test to see how I felt.”

2. Jeff Tedford and the Lions' new-look offence.

Andrew Harris: Patient And Persistent With Recovery

Given the recent off-season rule changes, it's no surprise 'tempo' was a buzz word throughout the month's spring mini-camps. That was undoubtedly the case in Surrey, B.C., where speed was the name of the game for the Lions this week.

The Lions' offence worked fast all week as Jeff Tedford began installing his new-look attack.

"Everything was very regimented, very much in order," said Lulay. "It seemed to go really fast. It was fast and furious out here, both the speed of what we’re doing and in between drills and we got a lot accomplished in our time frame. You can tell he’s committed to winning."

The Lions plan to use tempo to their advantage this season, whether it means speeding up the game or, other times, slowing things down when they need to keep the ball longer.

3. Competition at QB and receiver.

While the Lions' offence will go through Travis Lulay and Emmanuel Arceneaux, as usual, competition at both quarterback and receiver behind those guys looms large at this time of year.

It's hard to say who, outside of Arceneaux, will be the Lions' top producing receiver this season after the team lost Ernest Jackson, as Courtney Taylor and Shawn Gore will be competing for looks with a number of other veterans and younger up-and-comers -- including ex-NFLers Lavelle Hawkins and Austin Collie (a national).

At quarterback, meanwhile, the question remains who is Lulay's successor? BC has been a factory of young up-and-coming quarterbacks in the past, producing pivots that have been developed patiently from a younger age (Casey Printers, Travis Lulay, Mike Reilly and Buck Pierce come to mind just to name a few recent ones).

The learning curve for a young quarterback is steep and the team knows it'll have to be patient. Jordan Rodgers, brother of star Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, is one of several young QBs in Lions' camp.

“The first step is a guy’s gotta be willing to learn, that’s absolutely number one," said Lulay. "You’ve gotta come in with a humble mind and know it’s going to be fast and it’s going to be furious and there are going to be times when you don’t know what we’re talking about quite yet."

"But both the newest guys seemed eager to learn. We learned a little bit of that last year with Travis and Jordan, we got to know them a little bit. But both the other new guys, you could tell, in meetings they’ve done some of their prep work and it was good for them to get a few reps out here and get a feel for what we’re trying to do and it’ll be fun to get to see those guys play.”

David
Team Captain

CKWX NEWS1130 just revealed that Jordan Rodgers will not be part of the team. I thought something was up this morning as his name was not on the roster.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports · 10m10 minutes ago
Aaron Rodgers brother sounds like he is quitting football, he wasn't very high on the #BCLions depth chart.

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports · 11m11 minutes ago
Quarterback Jordan Rodgers has informed the #BCLions he is leaving the team. Lions left with 7 qb's signed for training camp.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ullri ... story.html
Roster roulette

Players may be cut by Tedford without even so much as putting on a pair of cleats.

The club’s annual quarterbacks school continued inside the Surrey facility Monday for seven throwers who are under contract plus UBC transfer Michael O’Connor, who’ll be with the Lions for a couple of weeks as an invited guest.

There’s word that the Lions could make it nine quarterbacks and sign Boise State’s Grant Hedrick before rookies hit the practice field Thursday in Kamloops, assuming all are given dorm space at Thompson Rivers University and one quarterback already on the roster isn’t released.

Four rookies are scheduled to participate in the first session. Travis Lulay, John Beck and Travis Partridge will watch.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I watched one video of their practice and he was throwing passes and I thought - yikes - not very accurate. Now granted that was just two but the ball IIRC was behind the REC on a sideline pass. INT type ball that goes back the distance.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

The news just keeps coming fast and furious and we haven't even hit training camp!

This is bit of a bummer but Jordan Rodgers is calling it quits on the Lions and maybe playing football in general. Lowell Ullrich has reported Rodgers is taking up a career in broadcasting. I was really hoping to see this guy play; the Lions seemed big on him and an acquaintance of mine saw him play in college and says he was a top notch qb at Vanderbilt. Of course his genes don't hurt...

Methinks with all the new faces that need to gel tout de suite, the pre-season is going to be challenging for both the Lions and the fans. But the preseason hasn't been a very good indicator for the Lions in the past few years.

Mod Note - this development had been posted earlier today to this topic. Merged. DH
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Since Rodgers joined the Lions part way through last year it should have given him an advantage over most of the other QBs. So to quit at this point, I am hoping that he has seen some really good talent in some of the other QBs and knew he won't make the cut because someone else is a lot better than him.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Since Rodgers joined the Lions part way through last year it should have given him an advantage over most of the other QBs. So to quit at this point, I am hoping that he has seen some really good talent in some of the other QBs and knew he won't make the cut because someone else is a lot better than him.
Rintoul seemed to indicate that AR may have a TV gig in the works and that he may have seen where his number stood after the mini workouts.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

I kind of saw this coming. While it's certainly unfair to pass judgment based on social media and what little I know of him, Jordan Rodgers just seemed more into 'other stuff' (he appeared in Pitch purrfect 2 and tweeted heavily about that). It was all about his quarterback camp, being with his buddies, the parties etc. I sensed the younger guys like McGhee and Wilmer being really hungry for this opportunity. No references to the BC Lions from Jordan.

According to LU, there will be two days of practice for Grant Hedrick, Greg McGhee, Jon Jennings and Aaron Wilmer - with just two of the four being asked to stick around for the start of Sunday's main camp.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I kind of saw this coming. While it's certainly unfair to pass judgment based on social media and what little I know of him, Jordan Rodgers just seemed more into 'other stuff' (he appeared in Pitch purrfect 2 and tweeted heavily about that). It was all about his quarterback camp, being with his buddies, the parties etc. I sensed the younger guys like McGhee and Wilmer being really hungry for this opportunity. No references to the BC Lions from Jordan.

According to LU, there will be two days of practice for Grant Hedrick, Greg McGhee, Jon Jennings and Aaron Wilmer - with just two of the four being asked to stick around for the start of Sunday's main camp.

It sounds like a good plan. Can't take 'em all to Camp. We would seem to have some outstanding candidates with these guys. One definitely gets the feeling that Tedford knows what he is doing.