Pinball Clemons now officially a Canadian

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO -- He was born in the United States, but Michael "Pinball" Clemons is now officially a Canadian by choice.

Toronto Argonauts legend and Toronto 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Games Volunteer Quarterback, Michael Clemons, alongside his wife, Diane, who arrived in Toronto in 1989, officially became Canadian citizens on Tuesday.

"I didn't mean to fall in love but I did," said Clemons, Toronto Argonauts Vice-Chair. "Almost 26 years ago I came to Canada to pursue my passion for football. That passion for football has never waned and is only exceeded by my love for this great country. Not unlike my bride of 22 years it was love at first sight."

"I fondly remember the day I landed at Terminal 1 in Pearson airport. The energy was palpable, the diversity was like nothing I had ever seen before and the hospitality formidable. What I did not know at that time was that the best was yet to come. Arriving in Toronto I had never been exposed to such a metropolitan city replete with opportunity, pulsating with culture, infinitely entertaining and teeming with kindness."

"What does it mean to me to officially become a Canadian citizen? It is hard to describe the depth and breadth of my gratitude and joy, but what I can say is that everything I dreamed of as a kid growing up in Florida has come true in Canada. In fact, as an adult, being a Canadian is almost all I know and I love it. On behalf of my family, thank you for loving us, embracing us and making us one of your own - a proud Canadian."

Born in Florida, Clemons arrived in Toronto as an Argonauts rookie before the 1989 CFL season. He played 12 remarkable years and today his number 31 is one of just four player numbers to be retired by the club.

He adopted the nickname "Pinball" and his play on the field, captivating personality and personal integrity endeared him to a generation of football fans. As a player and Canadian resident, his tireless work as a philanthropist, committed father and husband, renowned speaker and community ambassador has transcended generations.

He is now widely recognized as not just a jewel of the city of Toronto, but of the entire country. Clemons was named to the Order of Ontario in 2001. In 2005, he launched the Michael "Pinball" Clemons Foundation (MPCF) which works to quicken academic excellence, infuse depth of character, promote health and vitality and inspire philanthropy at home and around the world

Argonauts Executive Chairman & CEO, Chris Rudge, commented, "Both as a player and a coach, 'Pinball' was, for many years, the face of the Toronto Argonauts football team in the Toronto community. Michael has continued, since his retirement, to be a leader within the community, and embracing Canadian citizenship demonstrates the pride he has always shown in his adopted home of Canada."

"We are proud that 'Pinball' continues to be part of our family, and congratulate both he and Diane on becoming Canadian citizens."

Inducted to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2008, he won four Grey Cup championships as a player and head coach (1991, 1996, 1997 and 2004), all as a member of the Double Blue. He is one of the most decorated and celebrated Argonauts in club history.

Fifteen years after his final game, Pinball is still the pro football record holder for most combined yards in a career (25,438). He holds almost every club and CFL kick return record, was the CFL Most Outstanding Player in 1990, named CFL All-Star twice (1990 and 1997) and East Division All-Star on three occasions (1990, 1994 and 1997) and earned two Tom Pate Awards (1993 and 1996) in recognition of his community work while playing.

He served as the Argonauts' player-coach in 2000, and then held the head coach position exclusively from 2002 until 2007. In 2004, he became the first black head coach in professional football history to win a championship.

"I was so honoured to be there to witness Michael's citizenship ceremony - it was absolutely inspiring to see someone who has devoted so much of his life to our region and our country become a proud Canadian," said Saad Rafi, CEO of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games Organizing Committee. "We're thrilled to have him as part of our team at TORONTO 2015 - as our 'volunteer quarterback' he gives his all to help us recruit, motivate and encourage our 23,000 Games-time volunteers."

Clemons turned 50 earlier this year and is the proud father of three daughters; Rachel, Raven and Rylie. All three were born in Canada and grew up in the Greater Toronto Area.

An Economics major at the College of William & Mary where he excelled athletically and academically, Clemons spent time in professional football with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Tampa Buccaneers prior to coming to Toronto.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wonderful news.

Awesome guy. Awesome ambassador for the CFL, and for all things Canadian.

We love our country, the country we were lucky enough to be born in. Nice to see someone like Pinball share that appreciation by choice. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Any connection to Uncle Sam's relentless pursuit of Americans across the globe for tax purposes? Joking as I am sure that isn't his primary motivation.

He's a great ambassador to the game and one of hundreds who come to the CFL and live in Canada permanently.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I assume like most Americans who immigrated to Canada and vice-versa, Pinball Clemons has retained his American citizenship so that he can enjoy the best of both worlds.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
almo89
Legend

I always felt he was Canadian long before it became official. This just puts it on paper. Great ambassador for the CFL and he seems to be active in the Toronto community.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Any connection to Uncle Sam's relentless pursuit of Americans across the globe for tax purposes? Joking as I am sure that isn't his primary motivation.

He's a great ambassador to the game and one of hundreds who come to the CFL and live in Canada permanently.
I could be wrong, but my understanding is they purposely make it rather difficult to renounce USA citizenship for this very reason.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Any connection to Uncle Sam's relentless pursuit of Americans across the globe for tax purposes? Joking as I am sure that isn't his primary motivation.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is they purposely make it rather difficult to renounce USA citizenship for this very reason.
Apparently you are right. Canada is different and you can be exempt for income tax earned elsewhere if you are non-resident. There are several caveats and tests but as long as you are not a home owner in Canada and give up your day to day living ties to live abroad your foreign income doesn't get hit like US citizens do.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/ ... ver-taxes/

This shows a massive increase in the price as a 21% jump in applications in 2014 to over 3400.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy