Lions O Line -- Tommie Draheim plays with heart

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Starting an O Line thread for 2015 ...

http://bclions.com/staff-doug-malone
Doug Malone - Offensive Line Coach

Doug enters his first season with the Lions and brings a notable coaching resume to the club after serving as the offensive line coach for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2013 and 2014 as well as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 2012 and 2011.

Last season, Malone’s work with the Green and White helped running back Anthony Allen notch 930 rushing yards, second to only Calgary’s Jon Cornish and the third-highest team total with 2,380 yards along the ground. Doug’s move to BC also reunites him with offensive coordinator George Cortez with whom he won the Grey Cup with in 2013. That same year, Malone’s offensive line cleared the way for quarterback Darian Durant who threw for 4,154 yards and running back Korey Sheets who piled-up 1,598 rushing yards as well as a Grey Cup MVP award.

Prior to his time in the CFL, Malone spent three seasons as offensive coordinator at Presbyterian College (’08-’10) as well as one season as the school’s interim head coach. His time at Presbyterian was preceded by one season as the offensive coordinator at Western Carolina (2007).

Malone’s first taste of the Canadian Football League came in 2010 when he was a guest coach of the Calgary Stampeders during training camp.

A native of Greenville, Tennessee, Malone’s decorated NCAA coaching career includes an impressive 13-year stint at Wingate University (1986-98) the final five of which were as head coach. Other stops include Tennessee Tech (‘99-‘06) and Cal State-Northridge (’83-’85).

Malone holds a bachelor's degree in physical education and health from Carson-Newman College and a master's degree in sports sciences from the United States Sports Academy. He and his wife Jenny, have two daughters, Megan and Molly and one son, Derek. They also have two granddaughters, Kenry and Ruthie.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth chart from the O mini camp ...

Scratch Hardrick.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Copied over from the Hardrick thread ...
Hambone wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:A shocker. I thought he was one of our better Offensive lineman last year.
Generally teams fill tackle positions with INTs as a necessity. Having to play one at guard is a luxury. Steward looked so solid at LT it's difficult to see how they can justify starting an INT at guard. I'd like to think Fabien will now mentally be past his knee injury and ready to assume a starting role. Unless they are sour on T-Dre Player they will want to open a spot on the 46 for him. It looks like there will be some quality OL available in the draft should the Lions want one with their first pick or even in the second round. Add it all up and realistically there is likely to only be a PR spot for a second INT after Olafioye.

Still left:
NATs
Steward
Norman
Valli
Fabien
Player
Thorn
Husband

INTs
Olafioye
Ramsey

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From the column by Lowell Ullrich ...
“We’re pleased with our Canadian offensive linemen,” Tedford said. “They needed to get reps.”

The track meet for an offence idea hasn’t worked well through an entire season in the past and surely would figure to grind down behemoths on the offensive line, particularly if the Lions were still under the tutelage of assistant coach Dan Dorazio.

For the first time in 13 seasons though, Doug Malone is instead in charge of the hoggies, which could mean Lulay’s protection unit will not require a breathing apparatus by the end of the season to get through individual drill sessions.

“Before we couldn’t stand up after individual and kind of coasted though team. Now they’re giving us enough to give ‘er during team,” said right guard Dean Valli, about to start his 10th season.

“The older I get the better my wind gets; it seems a little backwards but I actually feel pretty good.”

And though more components need to be added, Tedford felt good about the start too.

“I don’t want to say I was surprised because that would leave the connotation I was expecting something less. There’s a good foundation here,” he assessed.

“Anytime something new comes in people are a little skeptical; what’s this all about, kind of thing. In three days they grew to being really enthusiastic; there was bounce in everyone’s step. I think you could tell that when the offensive line ran off the field.”

It wasn’t because the bus was pulling out without them, either.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“We’re pleased with our Canadian offensive linemen,” Tedford said. “They needed to get reps.”
Yes. Our Cdn O Line roster should have the makings of an effective unit. High draft picks.
The track meet for an offence idea hasn’t worked well through an entire season in the past and surely would figure to grind down behemoths on the offensive line, particularly if the Lions were still under the tutelage of assistant coach Dan Dorazio.

For the first time in 13 seasons though, Doug Malone is instead in charge of the hoggies, which could mean Lulay’s protection unit will not require a breathing apparatus by the end of the season to get through individual drill sessions.
Dan Dorazio was known for his attention to detail. For some of us fans and onlookers, it seemed that attention oftentimes led to paralysis by analysis. I guess Lowell is suggesting that they might have been worked too hard in individual sessions prior to team. For myself, I am not sure they were overworked physically. Distracted and not focused for team work, and game work (too much stuff in the head)? Maybe.
“Before we couldn’t stand up after individual and kind of coasted though team. Now they’re giving us enough to give ‘er during team,” said right guard Dean Valli, about to start his 10th season.

“The older I get the better my wind gets; it seems a little backwards but I actually feel pretty good.”
“I don’t want to say I was surprised because that would leave the connotation I was expecting something less. There’s a good foundation here,” he assessed.

“Anytime something new comes in people are a little skeptical; what’s this all about, kind of thing. In three days they grew to being really enthusiastic; there was bounce in everyone’s step. I think you could tell that when the offensive line ran off the field.”
Encouraging words from the Head Coach.

BTW, in years past, it was often brought up on here, that we faced opposing teams coached by masters of the Xs and Os. No guarantees for us now, but one could hardly expect to do better than we did in addressing what might have been seen as an Xs and Os deficit with our team.

Tedford, Cortez and Jones bring Xs and Os experience and mastery. Khari is young as a coach, but has played the game at the highest levels. For a team looking to revamp its offensive coaching staff (as well as bringing in a new Head Coach), it is hard to imagine doing any better than what the Lions achieved in the off season. :thup:

It will be fun to watch our O Line under the coaching of Doug Malone. I suspect that they will play hard, physical football. Pound the opposition. Guys clear in their assignments.

Just IMO, as a football fan ...

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-si ... ve-linemen
Lions sign international offensive linemenTuesday, May 5th, 2015

BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions have signed international offensive linemen John Estes, Kaycee Ike and Tommie Draheim.

Estes made a brief appearance at Lions training camp last year, but departed to sign with the Arizona Cardinals soon after his arrival. He was originally a signing of the Jacksonville Jaguars where he spent three seasons (2010-’12), two on the club’s injured list. The University of Hawaii grad played in record-setting 54 games for the Warriors including 14 as a starting freshman in 2006 and three consecutive years as an All-WAC selection.

Ike was a free agent signing of the Pittsburgh Steelers last year following a notable career at the University of Alabama-Birmingham. The hulking tackle started 23 of his final 24 games for the Blazers before pro stops in both Pittsburgh and Cleveland in 2014.

Draheim joins the Leos after multiple NFL stops over the past three years. Most recently, the San Diego State grad was with the Arizona Cardinals, preceded by stints with Seattle, New England, Jacksonville, Kansas City and Green Bay where he originally signed as an undrafted free agent in 2012.

We're less than a month away from BC Lions Training Camp presented by Sun Peaks Resort on Sunday, May 31 in Kamloops, BC. Click HERE for the full schedule.
No need to develop International OL from scratch. Get 'em with NFL experience. As is the norm in the CFL.

Nationals? Gotta develop your own.

Many top OL prospects in this year's draft.

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Looking at the OLine roster heading into TC under normal Lion's conditions would have left me with serious doubts, but with Malone and Tedford eyeing up the guys, they are going to keep only players who they think can help them, not hurt them. So if Malone is gun ho with Valli at RG and Norman back at Centre, who have to feel confident about our situation. I think what we are going to find out this season is that the talent for a very good OLine was ALWAYS HERE!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
pennw
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Looking at the OLine roster heading into TC under normal Lion's conditions would have left me with serious doubts, but with Malone and Tedford eyeing up the guys, they are going to keep only players who they think can help them, not hurt them. So if Malone is gun ho with Valli at RG and Norman back at Centre, who have to feel confident about our situation. I think what we are going to find out this season is that the talent for a very good OLine was ALWAYS HERE!
And conversely , we will see how the Rider's o-line fares under Dorazio , plus their O with Chap over there . This should be interesting as Lions and Riders basically traded coaching staffs in that area .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I am a bit confused. We're going with N's. They look fine. Oops three more INTs signed the next week.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I am a bit confused. We're going with N's. They look fine. Oops three more INTs signed the next week.
Just competition for TC, Toppy. And for the practice roster. Ya gotta challenge the incumbents, it seems to me. And that means Olafioye and Ramsey.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:I am a bit confused. We're going with N's. They look fine. Oops three more INTs signed the next week.
Just competition for TC, Toppy. And for the practice roster. Ya gotta challenge the incumbents, it seems to me. And that means Olafioye and Ramsey.
The Lions have been decimated by injuries on the O-line at training camp in recent years. Last year they were signing guys off the street and flying them into Kamloops to try to take reps at tackle. T-Dre Player, who was supposed to learn the veterans at guard, played at tackle through most of camp because there weren't any healthy international tackles to take reps. I hope with a new position coach this year that the O-line will survive camp intact and the team can make evaluations based on skill, not on health.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Blitz wrote:
The best moves we've made offensively were not player personell moves but hiring Tedford, demoting Khari Jones, and bringing in Malone to coach the offensive line.
I've heard a lot about the tempo, receiver skill, Harris's ankle and his recovery and even the QB competition, but I have not heard much about the O-line scheme changes. I have high hopes about changes brought about by Malone but just have not heard much. Perhaps we will know more after the game with Calgary?? Or does it take a few regular season games for changes to show up.....??
It seems to me, Dusty, and Blitz, that once the regular season starts, the play of the O Line will be somewhat self evident. For myself, I am expecting an emphasis on physical play, and not so much detailed, intricate footwork. Not so much complicated assignments. Some mix between man to man blocking and some zone. And a philosophy that stays in place, not switching back and forth between a complicated detailed approach, and a simple physical approach. Valli and Olafioye, two loyal soldiers, have spoken a little bit about liking the new approach, with some unlearning of the old ways.

There might have been some indication at TC how Doug Malone, under the guidance of Tedford and Cortez, will approach it. For myself, I will have to wait to see the hogs in action. Looking forward to it.

With simpler scheming, the O Line might look more sure of themselves, with less hesitation.

Simple and physical. Some double teams of course. As time goes on some trap blocking on running plays. Some pulling.

It will be interesting to see how we pick up the blitz. It seems in the past we pretty much left it to the QB to make "a quick read, quick release, and then duck." H Back will help. A strong run game will help. Strong run blocking tends to take some of the energy out of the pass rushers. They get tired of doing 180s as they have to double back to chase the runner.

With empty backfield, 6 receivers, you might get 6 pass rushers against 5 blockers, with those pass rushers coming from anywhere. Yikes.

With 5 receivers and a back in to block, you might get 7 rushers on 6 blockers. Again, ouch.

Better IMO to take it to the D Line with a strong run game, mixing it up with the H back and play action. Keep them off balance, and make blitzing much more high risk for the defence. Let the D Line take turns facing double teams.

One more thing ... under Dorazio, he was unable in 12 years to develop a centre to replace Angus Reid. That is something of a head shaker. Tedford, with Malone, has just gone shopping down south, and seems to be going with an import in that key position. Problem solved? Strong possibility. Dean Valli could not grasp it under Dorazio, nor could Matt Norman. Neither was a natural centre, much more suited to guard play.

Just IMO ...

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Joe, this is THE ONE AREA on the Lions where I expect to see HUGE improvement. I believe strongly that we massively underachieved at this position under Dorazio. If we can control the LOS, and allow Andrew Harris into open space without contact, he could have a MONSTER season. As look as what Harris has achieved over the last 2 years with having to break at least 2 tackles just to get past the line! Far too often over the last 6 seasons our RBs have simply run into a wall of people with nowhere to go...that's not effective offence in my books.

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Joe, this is THE ONE AREA on the Lions where I expect to see HUGE improvement. I believe strongly that we massively underachieved at this position under Dorazio. If we can control the LOS, and allow Andrew Harris into open space without contact, he could have a MONSTER season. As look as what Harris has achieved over the last 2 years with having to break at least 2 tackles just to get past the line! Far too often over the last 6 seasons our RBs have simply run into a wall of people with nowhere to go...that's not effective offence in my books.
Looking forward to it, MLF. We were stuck in the mud. We have been granted this reprieve with Tedford, Cortez and Malone. Wally must be living right to score these guys. We have entered the modern age of football Xs and Os. LOL

MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:Joe, this is THE ONE AREA on the Lions where I expect to see HUGE improvement. I believe strongly that we massively underachieved at this position under Dorazio. If we can control the LOS, and allow Andrew Harris into open space without contact, he could have a MONSTER season. As look as what Harris has achieved over the last 2 years with having to break at least 2 tackles just to get past the line! Far too often over the last 6 seasons our RBs have simply run into a wall of people with nowhere to go...that's not effective offence in my books.
Looking forward to it, MLF. We were stuck in the mud. We have been granted this reprieve with Tedford, Cortez and Malone. Wally must be living right to score these guys. We have entered the modern age of football Xs and Os. LOL

And as both you and I knew, we desperately needed to enter this age! Wally was no longer able to give us a decided talent advantage over the rest of the league, and our coaches were, IMO, in the lower echelon of talent and originality. An explosive OLine will mean one important thing for the Lions, BALL CONTROL...you know, that thing we used to dominate when Wally coached here? Time of Possession wears down defences no matter how good they are and keeps our talented Defence FRESH, instead of dog-tired all the time!

Very exciting times...because you know that a guy like Tedford is going to get what he demands. He not only has the "vision" to succeed here, but he has the "will", which is equally important...I didn't see that under Benevides...just a whole lot of doubt and hope and no matter what our religious friends would like us to believe, doubt and hope are born out of fear, not success, which is KNOWING!

Albert Einstein